Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 16:34   #31

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Betcha next boat for sale missing price or pics?

And speaking of bandwidth and doing it right I'd like to nominate the Multihull Co. for the excellence in brokerage award. You can download the pictures as an entire file and look at them in HD. Well most are HD. You also don't have to register just to look at the pics or specs. I'm a multi fan so this is what I look at. The worst website has to be Northrop and Johnson. These superyacht sellers don't give you squat. But I guess if you are buying a 40 mil yacht you'd just have your assistant do it for you. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 16:39   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
Bob you are probably going to be looking at one of those new car boats next,,something like this maybe,,,wonder what the add looked like,,,"car, custom paint, custom sun roof, good and cold AC,,, can be used during high water rainy season,, make offer,,will pass your expectations, good lake vehicle,,,"

might want to have plans draw-en up for a sail,,,
Can I ski behind that and get a years worth of food in it and a 1000 gals of fuel? Can I put a big mast on it and then make it powered so it will go up and down so I can get under bridges?
Old 23-06-2011, 16:48   #33

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Can I ski behind that and get a years worth of food in it and a 1000 gals of fuel? Can I put a big mast on it and then make it powered so it will go up and down so I can get under bridges?
Might want to take some skiing lessons first, BOB,,,,,then worry about the rest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ski.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	28900  
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 18:07   #34

Boat: Custom

A classic broker photo. Look closely

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 18:41   #35

Johnathan, Other than newspapers and crap is there something I missed?

My broker sent me pictures of this cruiser.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hydrofoilcar3BAR_468x302.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	28907  
Old 23-06-2011, 19:11   #36

Boat: Custom

Hi Sand Crab

No it was just the next thing I looked at after this thread, talk about poor photos, newspapers, cupboard open etc.

Overall she doesn't look like a bad S & S from the photos IMO

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 01:59   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Johnathan, Other than newspapers and crap is there something I missed?

My broker sent me pictures of this cruiser.

there are alternate ones available in the same design if you are willing to look past the paint job and look at the inner beauty and how you can customize the vehicle, as shown in the photo it is a great family car,,,fun for kids of all ages,,,,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dingytow.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	28908  
Old 24-06-2011, 04:10   #38
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
A classic broker photo. Look closely
I like the fact that the photo is branded. The Broker must be soooo proud

$5k in the broker's pocket for a sale? Almost worth spending an extra hour onboard to at least make sure the rubbish is out of shot. and maybe even closing a cupboard door

Of course as much the fault of a Vendor, leaving aside the mess onboard - don't folk have a look at the online listing?? and then say to themselves "that looks piss poor" and give the broker a rocket (or the missing details).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 04:51   #39

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
What some sellers do not realize is :how does this look to a prospect buyer" It might take an extra day or 2 to put things in order and clean the boat but it is well worth it,,,,a photo says a thousands words,,,that is very true in the selling aspect,,,if a seller can take the time to post decent photos of his boat he most likely did not take the time for maintenance issues
That's it in a nutshell.

I'm in the process of buying a boat. I find it unbelievable that so many sellers are clueless about how to sell a boat. I've gone into so many boats with tools and other garbage strewn about, dirt everywhere, junk piled in the berths, etc. Geez, just take a little time to neaten the boat up. If the buyer won't do it, the broker should.

It's also sad that so many boats are neglected. I recently walked away from a deal. There was nothing wrong with the "bones" of the boat: good hull, good engine, good sails. But nothing worked. The toilet wouldn't flush, most of the electronics wouldn't work and the electrical system was a disaster. The prop wobbled on the shaft. When I see this disrespect of the boat, I worry that there will be problems later, perhaps even some that the surveyor didn't catch.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 04:59   #40

I have fond that lots of sellers are in a rush to sell that they think a buyer will overlook certain things,,,,,get hte boat ready BEFORE you list it,,then list it,,,,you can turn of a buyer instantly by telling him you are in the process of getting the boat ready,,have it ready before you list
Old 24-06-2011, 05:04   #41

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
When I was boat shopping we found a boat that we loved and the ad was actually pretty good. The problem was every time we'd arrange to see the boat, the owner would show up that morning and go sail for the weekend. After a couple 3 hour trips (each way) we excluded that boat from our search. The broker kept calling to convince us to come back, but apparently he was the only one who thought the owner actually wanted to sell that boat.

I also grew tired of being told by an owner how much he spent on new electronics and how said electronics added that exact amount to the value of the boat. Spending $10k on a radar an GPS in 1995 does not add $10k to a boat 15 years later. An old GPS that was "hardly used" is still an old GPS.
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 05:25   #42

I also made an offer on a boat that the seller didn't really want to sell. I should have known, because when giving me a tour of the boat, the owner told me all of the places he and his wife were planning to cruise over the Summer. Then, he refused to take less than $20K more than the boat was worth. The broker was not happy. There will be no commission for him anytime soon on that boat, and its value will just decline over time.

Here's another pet peeve of mine: ridiculously inflated asking prices on Yachtworld.
Old 24-06-2011, 05:55   #43

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
As a seller, you'll have to deal with 100 looky kou's before you get one serious person. I'm sure brokers have to also deal with this. I always try to sell things cars, houses, boats, motorcycles, ... by word of mouth so I don't have to deal with the looky lou's. When I boat shop, I make the first visit short, if I get interested, I'll come back and the broker will usually give me free run, my last boat I had free run for 2 days, never seeing the broker. When we decided to buy, I asked him to get it cleaned out and he complied. Dirty dishes and full larders are not a deal stopper for me, but I understand people today want instant gradification...sad really.
Yes! I was one of those looky loo's. I looked for 6 months before I bought my first boat. Several yacht brokerages I went to, the guy couldn't even be bothered to put down his cigar, and stand up to hand me a list of his boats. He stated, "go find the boat you want, and come back and write me a check". At least a used car saleman will walk you out to the lot.

After several months most of the brokers in my area wouldn't even return my calls, I guess I was just a "looky loo", too bad because the one who didn't give up on me got the sale.

If your putting up with a lot of "looky loo's", it means you aren't doing your job.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 06:19   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
As a seller, you'll have to deal with 100 looky kou's before you get one serious person.
No, as a buyer you need to deal with 100 looky kou's before you get one seller who is realistic about the worth of his or her boat.

When I sold my boat, I researched the pricing very carefully and knew within a few thousand what I would likely get for my boat. I hired an experienced broker who concurred that my price was fair and realistic. I then spent several thousand dollars having every system checked out and touching up the cosmetics. That boat was Bristol when I put it on the market.

The very first buyers saw the boat and offered slightly below full asking. The surveyor spent 8 hours on the boat and could find nothing except for a few minor things like expired flares. The boat sold itself.
Old 24-06-2011, 06:55   #45

After several months most of the brokers in my area wouldn't even return my calls, I guess I was just a "looky loo", too bad because the one who didn't give up on me got the sale.

If your putting up with a lot of "looky loo's", it means you aren't doing your job.

it took the salesman 2 months of calling me to get me to buy car from him,,,,,,,looked at over 10 different ones,,,,settled on the last one that he found used for me,,,still have that car 8 years later,,,he got a small commission but got a nice large delivery fee for his extra work

Tags
sale