Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2007, 18:05   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman
I was aboard the SSV Corwith Cramer out in the triangle and witnessed the main binnacle compass spinning randomly for about a minute.

I think something odd happens out there.
Odd things happen at many times and places. What makes you think your experience was caused by being is a triangle with one corner at Bermuda? It could just as easily be a square or a circle. For that matter, how do you know the phenomenon was caused by your location, rather than some other aspect of the environment?

b.t.w. What were all the other compasses doing?
Old 27-02-2007, 21:56   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Compass Deviant

I always understood that compasses magnetic orientation varied according to the weather and inversely as the distance from a from a port after a long trip.

The place with the most shipwrecks that I know of is the coast of Victoria, west of Melbourne.

The old sailing ships used to come to grief almost within sight of their destination.

Check out the Shipwreck Coast.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 10:28   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
There is also the Skeleton Coast of Africa. Lots of wrecks around NZ. Back in the gold rush days, many ships were wrecked on the Hokitika Bar. That's the river Bar. I imagine there were many a wreck started at the other bar, but the ship's were lost on the river bar. They reckon there is more gold at the bottom of the river bar than was actually taken out of NZ. Probably a myth, but it is such a tale that a company has been working on a possible dredge to sift the seafloor in that area. It's been in the thought process for near on 20yrs now. I doubt anyone will be able to do it, but if they could, they will become very wealthy.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:12   #49

Boat: 1976 Oday 27' Booty Call
bermuda triangle

Well, given everything I'm one to never doubt mother nature, but I think it's just bad circumstances/situations centered around one area. Bad luck probably caused most to fall from the sky or have their boats sink etc.

And if it is aliens visiting, well THEY are the ultimate cruisers!! Intergalactic cruisers who come to cruise the bahamas & caribbean. (can ya blame 'em?) LOL

they should join Cruisers Forum! Talk about ultimate topics huh?
Mark
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:37   #50

Boat: 1993 Amel Super Maramu 53'
I vote fiction! Although the first time I sailed through it I had a bad case of sphyncter pucker!

Bermuda Triangle - Skeptic's Dictionary

Mark
Old 04-04-2007, 00:02   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mark
I vote fiction! Although the first time I sailed through it I had a bad case of sphyncter pucker!

Bermuda Triangle - Skeptic's Dictionary

Mark
Interesting link you have there Mark,I will scope it all as time permits.Thanks.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 00:59   #52

Reading a few of the historical books on ship wrecks ,you will soon come to the conclusion that there is more than one B. triangle. The coast to the west of Melbourne ,Australia is named "The ship wreck coast".
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:35   #53

I do know that there are large magnetic anomolies in the area. Years ago I was employed in the satnav/omega navigation field and learned that there are several large depressions in the ocean in the BT area. Some are 6 feet lower than mean sea level and miles across. Then there are the methane releases from the sea floor. The biggest contributor is most likely the huge number of Fla power boaters without a clue.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 08:22   #54

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
BERMUDA (DEVIL'S) TRIANGLE SOLVED

Well the mystery of the triangle and it's strange happenings has finally been solved. Last night on the Discovery Civilization channel, an hour was devoted to this topic and many eyewitness accounts of magnetic anomolies and strange happenings that can now be explained.

The US Navy has a base in the Bahamas and has documented that they have been conducting tests within the general perameters of the Triangle for years. Apparently there really are magnetic anomolies associated with this area and eye witness accounts that there are strange marine vehicles operating in the area which make no sound or wake but move at high speeds accross the top of and under the surface of the ocean. Strange green glowing of ships, boats and aircraft along with missing time and loss of memory of events occuring at these times. It was posited that the navy has been working in conjunction with aliens either from space or another dimension and this has led to the disappearance of the many craft of all types in the area.

Thats not all! Apparantly there is a similar region just southest off the coast of Japan which has similar anomolies and disappearances and if you were to bore a tunnel from the Bermudas Triangle directly through the centre of the earths' core it would exit exactly in the Japenese Devil's Triangle.

May we all be saved from the impending doom that these areas and the Navy and their alien friends have in store for us... oooooh
Old 13-04-2007, 13:02   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
And the Navey guy being interviewd had a red nose, spoke with slurred words and I think his name was Cmdr Thomas Thetankedengine. :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 14:59   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
Then there are the methane releases from the sea floor. The biggest contributor is most likely the huge number of Fla power boaters without a clue.
Do Fla powerboaters eat huge amount of beans or something?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda