Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2012, 08:11   #16

Re: Are you over 50? Need advice.

You just turned 32?........ just shut up
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 08:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nes View Post
Ok, so I just turned 54 and I retire Friday. I have plans that include part time work, but I plan to do a lot more sailing.

What I see wrong with your question, is that you are asking a Forum made up of sailors, a notoriously independent loner type of people what you would have done differently at 32. I hope you are asking that question elsewhere for a reality check.

No body here has said anything about family, or relationships, I would suggest that you make sure that those are in order first. Spend more time with your SO, and any kids you might have. IT IS NOT all about you.

If you consider what is best for them every time you make a decision, you will find that your life is better overall.

Ah, but what do I know, 54 years old, retired (my choice) and happily married to the love of my life 31 years in February. Two fantastic boys, and a boat at the dock.

My advice is simple and I will repeat it: "FAMILY FIRST" the rest will follow.
All good advice. Now why don't you tell him how you achieved retirement at the young age of 54? You must have done something(a lot of things) right and your advice in that regard would help a lot. Happy birthday too btw!
Dakota450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 08:12   #18

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

I would tell myself..."Self, you are 32 years old today. You will still have your health when you are 56. Therefore you have 24 years to get your financial act together. Kids are expensive and college is very expensive. Save, save, save...so that when the time is right to pursue your dreams, you will be able to chase them. By the way self, you don't have a clew what your dreams will be when you are 56. Happy Birthday"
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 08:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
"Self, stop messing around in boats so much and finish your PhD."

I learned to sail while working on a Masters degree. I never did finish the thesis.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 08:19   #20

Boat: Cape Dory

I'd tell me that I was way younger than I thought I was (and that is a good thing).

Do what you love;
make sure you know what that is; and,
don't waste time on other stuff.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 08:23   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

I disagree that debt is always a dirty word. Debt (investment) is what got us sailing full time under the age of fifty. We were just plain lucky though, my nephew has a millstone around his neck trying to do the same thing in today's market .

Above all else my recommendation at any age is live life for the moment, you never know at any age when its going to be over.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 08:24   #22

I have always liked the truism from George Bernard Shaw.

"Youth is wasted on the young."

BTW - I am still sailing at twice your age. In the winter, squash (the racquet sport, not the vegetable) is my passion.
Old 13-11-2012, 08:27   #23

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

When your 32 life is full of promise. When your my age you hope for a quick and painless death.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 08:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V_Surya View Post
When your 32 life is full of promise. When your my age you hope for a quick and painless death.
This would be much better.

Quote:
I have a lifetime appointment and I intend to serve it. I expect to die at 110, shot by a jealous husband.
Thurgood Marshall
Read more at I have a lifetime appointment... at BrainyQuote
Old 13-11-2012, 08:40   #25

Boat: Catalina 30

Sentientcj:

Yes, and seriously?

I would have told myself to start a Low Carb High Fat diet immediately and stick to it.

I'm not kidding.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 09:01   #26

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

"Don't wait another six years to buy a boat and go sailing...and don't wait until 40 to have your kid..."

The two concepts are somewhat connected, admittedly.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 09:03   #27

There's no free lunch. I quit a (very) good job twice to go cruising. Looking back, would I not go cruising? Nah.... the cruising adventures are what I remember most... Unfortunately, I didnt recognize how wonderful it was as much as I should have at the time... The best day to plan for is TODAY. Today IS the future.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 09:20   #28

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

I was talking to my brother when my niece had her last birthday about what advice to give her. The first thing we both agreed on was that both of us wished we had taken better care of our teeth.

I would say that is good advice for almost anyone, or perhaps just take better care of your body.

I suspect what you were really looking for is more along the lines of advice specific to your sailing path as the years pass. I guess what I would say is try and make sure your expectations will fit the reality. In a recent thread someone mentioned he spent three days cramped in a small sail boat trapped by rain and waves that made using the tender to get ashore from the mooring a big task and all he had to eat was soda crackers. But one of his biggest gripes was all the hot babes were on the deck of the motor boats passing by him.

The plain fact of the matter is that if you don't have hot babes around you on land getting a boat will not get you hot babes. The same is true for lots of other things. Make sure you will be happy living on a boat, and all that entails. Small bathroom that you will spent more time maintaining than the one on land. Small freezer, not a lot of room for cold drinks/beer. Stove that is not like the one in your home. Few clothes that often are damp. This is just for starters.

For some folks all the down side of living on a boat is worth is, for others it is not. The real trick is to find out what kinda person your are.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 09:31   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentientcj View Post
I turn 32 today. Mixed feelings about it.

If you could, what would you tell your 32 year old self today that you might not have known then.
Doesn't really matter - I wouldn't listen to me, anyway.

And I'm only half joking. Ever try to explain something to one of your children so they won't have to go through the same bad thing you did? Doesn't work, even with the best of intentions on both sides. Too many things are just a good idea at the time.

True story - I once got a phone call from one of my kids (of whom I am very proud, BTW) that went like this:

Child - Dad, I just figured it out - you can't get anywhere without a good education.

Me - Um, did you ever hear that anywhere before?

Child - Yeah, I know you always said that, but....

And that's pretty much it. So happy birthday and hang in there. There's a lot more to come.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 09:32   #30

Hang in there, you'll be 12 days shy of retirement before you know it! START PLANNING NOW... I didn't start until I was 40, BUT, from the looks of things the best years of my life lie ahead...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote