Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 09:01   #46

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
My wife wants the master bath re-done (got tile?) and the kitchen redone.
I don't give a rats patootie about it being "outdated" since I don't watch the "fix my house" (or whatever it is called) TV crap, so am not brainwashed into thinking I NEED the stainless kitchen appliances. Stainless is for boats, right?

But that does not mean it won't happen sometime as I am and will remain married.

Too bad the bathroom and the kitchen job will not come close to what the boat is worth.

Sorry.

Best of luck. I think your writing is top notch. I don't care much for weird though, unless you are talking Carl Haissan type of weird.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:17   #47

Boat: Jason 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Turn the other cheek my friend...wasn't that a quote of sorts as well..
Yes, is it was. One that, if practiced, would dissolve the need for police and military protections.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:06   #48

Boat: Nordhavn 47
While this does seem unusual it doesn't seem to be as bad as some are suggesting. If you were to hire a contractor for a $40,000 remodel of a basement, for instance. You would have to pay him a good chunk up front and then installments that were basically prospective payments for his work. if he ran off you could sue but the chance of getting anything back might not be great if he went bankrupt or skipped town.

In this instance, if you had a $20,000 boat that was probably selling poorly now and the broker was going to get a chunk anyway and you agreed to let this guy live on it and sail it while he finished your remodel and then transfer the title at the end of the job it would seem like a standard barter arrangement that used to be quite popular where I was originally from (south/midwest). If he skipped out you report the boat stolen and catch the guy somewhere and get your boat back (or the insurance). If he didn't you get $40,000 worth of work that you will probably estimate for taxes to your benefit. and he gets a boat without having to do all the crap that comes from running a business.
Barter always works out better between people who know each other but I am sure the OP would have references you could check before doing anything.

I don't have any need nor a cheap boat but I wouldn't be any more afraid of this situation then many others I have gotten into with supposedly legitimate businesses. (Like my recent boatyard experience that was "only" 30% more then the highest estimate. I should have read that fine print better.)

Jim
Old 10-12-2009, 10:18   #49

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
. (Like my recent boatyard experience that was "only" 30% more then the highest estimate. I should have read that fine print better.)

Jim
LOL... Ya... I got stung buy that one too!...12K worth...I made the contract this time that makes the yard price their price..peroid!..if they go over they eat it...I don't care if they pad there bid to cover "what if" stuff up front...just run your business the same as I have to... my customers are not going to pay me anymore then I bid I can guarantee you that and they don't want any surprises either.......I did get an 1800 dollar tip here recently though...

Hey Jim...If you want to live on a 30' sea ray I'll work with ya...Im a bit North of you though..and its 15 degrees here as i type..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:05   #50

Quote:
While this does seem unusual it doesn't seem to be as bad as some are suggesting. If you were to hire a contractor for a $40,000 remodel of a basement, for instance. You would have to pay him a good chunk up front and then installments that were basically prospective payments for his work. if he ran off you could sue but the chance of getting anything back might not be great if he went bankrupt or skipped town.

In this instance, if you had a $20,000 boat that was probably selling poorly now and the broker was going to get a chunk anyway and you agreed to let this guy live on it and sail it while he finished your remodel and then transfer the title at the end of the job it would seem like a standard barter arrangement that used to be quite popular where I was originally from (south/midwest). If he skipped out you report the boat stolen and catch the guy somewhere and get your boat back (or the insurance). If he didn't you get $40,000 worth of work that you will probably estimate for taxes to your benefit. and he gets a boat without having to do all the crap that comes from running a business.
Barter always works out better between people who know each other but I am sure the OP would have references you could check before doing anything.

I don't have any need nor a cheap boat but I wouldn't be any more afraid of this situation then many others I have gotten into with supposedly legitimate businesses. (Like my recent boatyard experience that was "only" 30% more then the highest estimate. I should have read that fine print better.)

Jim
Excellent encapsulation of the idea, Jim. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:36   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
LOL... Ya... I got stung buy that one too!...12K worth...I made the contract this time that makes the yard price their price..peroid!..if they go over they eat it...I don't care if they pad there bid to cover "what if" stuff up front...just run your business the same as I have to... my customers are not going to pay me anymore then I bid I can guarantee you that and they don't want any surprises either.......I did get an 1800 dollar tip here recently though...

Hey Jim...If you want to live on a 30' sea ray I'll work with ya...Im a bit North of you though..and its 15 degrees here as i type..
I think you might have meant me, Still. Name's Joe Keck. You said, "... my customers are not going to pay me anymore then I bid ..." I'm the same way. I once did a job early in my contracting days and under the it. It was re-painting kitchen cabinets, and wasn't prepared for the number of coats (3) it would take. My cousin and I wound up making $1.50 per hour. Live and learn.

Is that sea ray a sailboat? I only do natural, no motor monsters. 30' is a bit small, but worth a look, I suppose.
Old 10-12-2009, 13:25   #52

Boat: MJM 50 Z
Going back to the sit com.
The show was Murphy Brown and Eldon was the live-in painter who wouldn't go home.
Old 10-12-2009, 15:19   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander40 View Post
Going back to the sit com.
The show was Murphy Brown and Eldon was the live-in painter who wouldn't go home.
Sorry, don't watch TV. Been years. As Bill Hicks said, "Ah'm uh reader." Sounds like a funny bit, though.
Old 10-12-2009, 17:51   #54

Boat: MJM 50 Z
Well it was probably 20 years ago. Candice Bergen?
Old 10-12-2009, 19:15   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander40 View Post
Well it was probably 20 years ago. Candice Bergen?
Yeah, I'm familiar with it, just never watched it.
Old 10-12-2009, 19:30   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
While this does seem unusual it doesn't seem to be as bad as some are suggesting. If you were to hire a contractor for a $40,000 remodel of a basement, <snip>

In this instance, if you had a $20,000 boat <snip>

and you agreed to let this guy live on it and sail it while he finished your remodel and then transfer the title at the end of the job it would seem like a standard barter arrangement <snip>

Here is the problem - A very large percentage of the job is in materials. You are essentially bartering for labor. Let's say on a $40k job there are $25k in materials. Won't work. For arguments sake let's say it's $20k in materials.

On the surface it sounds good. Unfortunately the laborer who is now living on your boat and trying to maintain it has no income because he is supposed to be working on your house for free.

You are also paying up front by letting the laborer live on your boat for free. If the laborer defaults on the home project you could likely be stuck with a pile of building materials in your yard, a boat that has been lived on and deteriorated and potentially a sticky issue of trying to evict the laborer from the boat, a laborer who has stopped making marina payments because he has no income and btw the marina has filed a claim to seize your boat for back rent.

Not saying this would happen with Jace but personally I don't view this as a low risk oportunity for the boat/home owner...

Besides if my house needs remodelling, I'm gonna sell the haouse, move on the boat and head for warmer climes...
Old 10-12-2009, 20:08   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
This thread has outlived its usefulness.

It is now closed.
Closed Thread