Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2014, 14:31   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt 44 #393 Aluminium
Liveaboard in Boston, MA - Marina suggestions and regulations

Hello, my wife will do a masters degree in Boston and I was considering the possibility to liveaboard. Does anyone knows which are good spots, have comments on Marinas and where I may find regulations.

If my boat is not US Flagged, can I stay a hole year or do I have to leave from time to time? If I have to leave from time to time, would I have to entry Canada or just going offshore and coming back would work?

I really appreciate any comments on that.

Best

Gus
gtpinhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 14:41   #2
cruiser

Re: Liveaboard in Boston, MA - Marina suggestions and regulations

Are you aware that Boston Harbor had several inches of ice on the surface up until just a couple of days ago? Nearly all the boats in this area, New England, are hauled out during the winter and remain on the hard until Spring except for the working boats. Just last weekend, a good friend who's one of the few living on his house boat in Salem, MA showed me his boat because of his concern that it was completely locked in 2-4 inches of surface ice. Up this way, most of the docks in the marinas are even hauled out until Spring. Temperatures around here remain below 0 degrees C from Dec. 1 until the end of February... something to consider.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 15:04   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Gus, if she doesn't happen to notice your post, do a check on threads by GalaxyGirl. She's in Boston, and has researched the marina she intends to use for living aboard whenever her house sale/boat purchase sorts itself out. Apparently a nice marina, from the sounds of it...

-Chris
Old 18-01-2014, 12:47   #4

I think the constitution marina in charlestown allows liveaboards for the winter. Things to consider are:

- Water? The dock water will certainly be turned off from Nov to April or so since the pipes would otherwise freeze. Where will your water come from?

- Pumpout? Will the marina's pumpout system still work, assuming they have one, or does it get shut down for the winter? Are there pumpout boats that can service you in the winter, and what will you do it the area gets ices in as it has this year. It doesn't always happen, but from time to time it does like this year.

- Snow/ice removal on docks, ramps, etc.? I don't think I'd want to slip into the water in Jan.

- Are the shore-side facilities left on for the winter, like showers, laundry, etc.?
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 13:15   #5

Constitution Marina is pretty much your only option. It's an excellent marina located close to the center of the city. Very well protected. Safe. Good public transportation. Off street parking, etc. Water and pump outs are available in winter.

Here's a 2009 piece about living there in winter.

Happy boaters living aboard in Boston's Constitution Marina - Boston Boating | Examiner.com

Boston is certainly colder than, say, London but it's rare to see ice in the harbor. We've just had our coldest week in several years. In a typical winter, there's snow on the ground for about six weeks but there are also warm spells.

And from April-November it doesn't get much better than to live on a boat in the middle of Boston.

If you still have any interest, I'd call Constitution Marina and chat with them.

Welcome to Constitution Marina on Boston Harbor
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 14:15   #6

Boat: Currently boatless

Gus,
1. One winter on a boat in Boston is likely to end in a divorce. Not very conducive to grad school studies, either.

2. If you do persist in this foolish endeavor, Constitution Marina is your best bet.

3. No idea on the immigration and customs regulations, but if your wife comes here on a student visa, you may be eligible for a similar visa.
Old 18-01-2014, 14:32   #7

Yes. Your wife better like living on boats as much as you

One argument for the marina is apartment rents in Boston are eye popping. An apartment that is as nice (and as big) as your boat will probably be $2000/month. And this still won't get you a view of the harbor.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 18:12   #8

Guys, this has been really helpful. I do appreciate Ziggy's concern on a potential divorce and in fact I an aware of it.

I have never wondered about living in a boat in northern winter, as a Brazilian I am more used to tropical climates, but since seeing some threads on this forum about winter liveaboards I considered it possible, even though not desirable for many.

I am considering options, and your posts have been very helpful, specially for bringing multiple perspectives. I will call Constitution Marina - they do seem very well localised. All costs and legal requirements to have a foreign flagged for a full year seems to be the main issues I will have to figure out from now.

Thanks again to all of you. Any other tips welcome!
Old 19-01-2014, 18:14   #9

Thanks Ranger42c, I will send her a message. :thumbs:
Old 20-01-2014, 20:31   #10

Boat: Catalina 310

Constitution marina is great. About 50 full time Liveaboards in the winter. Heated outdoor pool parties on Friday nights. Good facilities. Ice is not an issue. Neither is water. Lines sunken under water and pulled up once a week for filling parties. Clear shrink wrap is your best friend.

Also check out yacht haven if you want to be closer to down town.
Old 21-01-2014, 15:45   #11
cruiser

Today it's -20 degrees Celcius here in Boston factoring in the wind chill and we are expecting a blizzard any time which will last for 12-18 hours and dump 15 inches (38 cm) of snow on the city and harbor.

Perfect liveaboard conditions with temperatures expected to remain sub zero -10 to -15 Celcius for the next 4-6 days... Beautiful, just like two to three weeks ago.

How's the weather in Brazil?

The Governor of Massachusetts cancelled his scheduled speech tonight where he was going to announce 50 million dollars in funding to help fight global warming... Bad timing I guess.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 17:47   #12

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
...we are expecting a blizzard any time which will last for 12-18 hours and dump 15 inches (38 cm) of snow on the city and harbor.
That's a slight exaggeration--6 to 8 inches is more likely.
Old 21-01-2014, 18:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Today it's -20 degrees Celcius here in Boston factoring in the wind chill and we are expecting a blizzard any time which will last for 12-18 hours and dump 15 inches (38 cm) of snow on the city and harbor.

Perfect liveaboard conditions with temperatures expected to remain sub zero -10 to -15 Celcius for the next 4-6 days... Beautiful, just like two to three weeks ago.

How's the weather in Brazil?

The Governor of Massachusetts cancelled his scheduled speech tonight where he was going to announce 50 million dollars in funding to help fight global warming... Bad timing I guess.
Here in Brasília it was +25 Celsius throughout the day as clouds shaded us from the summer sun. Raining at night what cooled to around +22 Celsius, better for sleep
Old 21-01-2014, 18:08   #14

Boat: Hughes 25 - Tulip

There was a guy last year that lived all winter on his canoe.

Boston Harbor Canoe Guy Spends His Days Thinking About School Reform | Boston Magazine

But coming from equatorial waters there may be some equipment additions worth considering. It's rare the harbor seriously freezes over, there's a significant current. Areas with less current can use a "bubbler" to keep the water around the hull moving.
sammyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 18:09   #15

Anyways the mayor could keep his speech on Climate Change fight, as the result of global warming is not a general warmer climate but a more unpredicted weather and extreme events, hotter summers, colder winter, wetter rainy seasons and dryer droughts...

Tags
liveaboard, regulations