Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2015, 06:10   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

As fulltime liveaboard Florida Cruisers for the past forty-three years, we have seen more changes in the legal definitions of being aboard a boat in Florida than our actual opportunities of being aboard.

In the early 1970's we had no holding tanks, bottom paint with mercuric oxide, and slips for $50 per month. Liveaboard slip were still difficult to find in many locations.

In the 1980's we had difficulty moving to different liveaboard marinas because some marinas had a cap on the total number of individuals living aboard. We were on a waiting list for one marina, but as a family of four, singles and couples would come and go with never an opportunity for four.

For decades it has been the practice for many Florida marinas to publicly deny that they accept liveaboards, but still maintain a living aboard community.

Within the last ten years the Florida legislature has used a legal definition of the term "Liveaboard vessel" that does not apply to all boats that have people living fulltime on their boats. Due to this "liveaboard" terminology many identify themselves as fulltime cruisers. We remain "fulltime cruisers" despite how long we remain at one marina.

I'm not claiming that there are no barriers to living aboard your boat in Florida, but I've always seen some barriers, wether only stated or enforced, and still easily maintain our life aboard.

I should also add that over our 43 years as Florida liveaboards, we've only spent about about 6 full summers in Florida.

For
Old 26-06-2015, 06:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Within the last ten years the Florida legislature has used a legal definition of the term "Liveaboard vessel" that does not apply to all boats that have people living fulltime on their boats.
I think this is the key. According to Florida statutes, a "live-aboard vessel" is defined as "a vessel used solely as a residence and not for navigation." So if you take your boat out and "navigate" from time to time, then according to the state of Florida it is NOT a "live-aboard vessel." Doesn't matter if you sleep on it every night of the year or not. Only matters if you ever use it to "navigate."

This is the only definition that the DEP should be using in their contracts. If it is not, then us Florida residents need to get onto our legislators and insist that they crack down on the DEP. The DEP should not be making up new definitions that contradict state law. My guess is that the folks at the DEP have never even read the law, and just assumed that they should make up their own definition. You would probably be surprised by how many bureaucrats, responsible for implementing and enforcing laws, have never even read one word of the laws they are supposed to be responsible for!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 07:08   #18

Its not a shock. A majority of liveaboards are on unmaintained boats, drink all the time, are loud, gather crap on the deck of the boat, and use blue tarps for covers.
We live aboard as well, and our boat looks good 99% of the time. We do not drink, and are very quiet.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 07:25   #19

Boat: LAGOON 400

reason live aboards are chased away everywhere is because economic reasons. You healthier, spend less, pay little tax, no property taxes, no mortgages, give bad ideas to others.

Totally against principles of bubbly economy that is taking over the world.

Why do you think health care shares going up and up? Because they count on you being sick and them using their MBA educated doctors to extract whatever money you have left before you die
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 08:22   #20
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catshopper View Post
I am a retired senior and "full time cruiser". Not a liveaboard.

I was planning to leave Alabama this Nov. to cruise east and spend most of the winter in Florida and maybe Bahamas if i get past the keys.

Now i am becoming afraid to. There are at least 4 groups of water officers that can have it in for me. City, County, state and coast guard. 5 counting DNR.

All i need is one wild one on a tear to ruin my life.

So. Iam wondering if it is possible to start a thread listing the "safe and welcoming places" and a seperate one listing hostile places to boaters. Including the names of the officers involved.

If we know where NOT to go, we can maybe enjoy our retirement. I was even considering registering my sailboat in Florida but now????

Waddyathink?
Sorry, but I think you worry too much...

;-)

Like the famous ad says, "JUST DO IT..."
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 08:24   #21

Oh hell, we all know who the problem children are, they hang out on the edges of the paid mornings and Marinas. They are the drunk old homeless guys except they sleep on something that floats. They are not healthy at all, there water Bums. They don't " cruise". They drink and **** where they want.
Those are the guys ruining it for the rest of us responsible types.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 08:52   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

How's Titusville doing nowadays? I lived there 20+ years ago for a while and it was pretty quiet.. Still the same?
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 13:18   #23

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
How's Titusville doing nowadays? I lived there 20+ years ago for a while and it was pretty quiet.. Still the same?
I see that you're too far away too make a quick visit, so here are two videos on youtube that will bring you up to date. The second one is a better.

onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 19:27   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
I see that you're too far away too make a quick visit, so here are two videos on youtube that will bring you up to date. The second one is a better.
Hehe, thanks for sharing, quite enjoyed seeing those..
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 19:56   #25

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post

True works of art that do indeed capture the flavor and vibrant nature of Titusville.
Old 30-06-2015, 07:51   #26

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

I wonder if this applies to 'purchased' dock space?
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 09:19   #27

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

I didn't know that you could buy a slip in Titusville marina.
Old 30-06-2015, 09:42   #28

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
I didn't know that you could buy a slip in Titusville marina.
Can't.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 09:47   #29

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Didn't think you could.
Old 30-06-2015, 10:42   #30

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Not saying I agree with this, just that some folks do.

DEP (with lots of federal funds for this specific purpose) is responsible for financing lots of pump out boats. It makes sense to them that if you are living on a boat for more than a week at a time it needs a pump out and there fore you are a live aboard.

Another consideration is that DEP's major concern is the protecting the environment. Not only does this mean dealing with pump outs but things like protecting coral reef and sea grass. Doing any damage to the last two can result in six figure fines.

As for tax dollars to pay DEP employees most of that comes from folks who probably have never been on a boat in their life and watch the BBC shows about under water life. From their point of view sailors, and especially live aboards, are the ones messing up the environment.

The bottom line is that folks with boats are a minority and folks who live on boats are a much smaller minority. The general public thinks it is more important to protect the environment than make it easy to live on a boat.

Again not saying I agree with this, just that the majority of voters in Florida do.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, liveaboard