Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2022, 03:45   #91
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: ‘We feel truly alive’ - Observer article about the newest crop of liveaboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Okay nice.

But there are a few McDonald's there for those of you that like that sort of thing.

I'm just happy I have internet at this anchorage.....
Few , as McDonald’s can’t compete in Greece with Gryos, so it’s a 5 hour bus ride to the nearest one 😀
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B5893D1B-78AC-48AD-9E65-4DD89057C16F.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	453.1 KB
ID:	263820  
Old 03-09-2022, 03:49   #92
Nearly an old salt

Re: ‘We feel truly alive’ - Observer article about the newest crop of liveaboards.

To me saving money is only a means to an end. If I don’t need that “ end” I spend it.
Old 03-09-2022, 15:52   #93
CLOD

Boat: none

Saving money has never been a cruising goal for me. If that is what you want great for you.
Old 03-09-2022, 16:02   #94
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Being frugal is the only way we’ve been able to live the cruising life for the last 30 years, so to those that don’t have to, kudos to you!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 17:19   #95

Personally, frugality = freedom. It's all about stretching the resources enough so I don't have to do something I don't want to do in order to live.
Mariefred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 17:54   #96
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ‘We feel truly alive’ - Observer article about the newest crop of liveaboards.

Funny how folks ramble on about more young folk should take up the sailing life... then bytch about em when they do..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 20:38   #97

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Funny how folks ramble on about more young folk should take up the sailing life... then bytch about em when they do..

Now that’s a truism
Old 03-09-2022, 22:16   #98

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Being frugal is the only way we’ve been able to live the cruising life for the last 30 years, so to those that don’t have to, kudos to you!
Frugality is what had us retire before 50 with our current vessel and a decent income stream.

Now we are out here there are no shops or restaurants to spend money at not that I would as frugality is a hard habit to break.
But, we are well stocked with good eats and wine so not like we are missing out on anything, just not wasting it.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 22:50   #99

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

One person’s frugal is another’s starvation and someone else’s extravagance
Old 04-09-2022, 10:51   #100

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariefred View Post
Personally, frugality = freedom. It's all about stretching the resources enough so I don't have to do something I don't want to do in order to live.

Nicely put. Frugality is not only about saving a buck. It’s a way of thinking which helps one avoid the traps our societies lay.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:53   #101
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Nicely put. Frugality is not only about saving a buck. It’s a way of thinking which helps one avoid the traps our societies lay.
That’s not frugality , if you borrow beyond your ability to repay , you have fallen into the debt trap.

Simply saving money in itself is increasingly pointless as you get older. Money is there to be spent and enjoyed.

One can be frugal on any sum one likes , it’s a poor definition of anything

FOr me frugality is spending €10 on a meal when the one you really wanted is €20 and you have €30 in your pocket
Old 04-09-2022, 14:27   #102

Boat: Volkscruiser

goboatingnow I have met plenty of frugal millionaires. Just the other week an owner was proudly telling me he only used 500 litres of fuel for the day idling along. Crazy really, but it just shows how we all think so differently when it comes to money.
Coffins don't have pockets and who hasn't seen an inheritance blown by family members or friends.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:44   #103

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
That’s not frugality , if you borrow beyond your ability to repay , you have fallen into the debt trap.

Simply saving money in itself is increasingly pointless as you get older. Money is there to be spent and enjoyed.

One can be frugal on any sum one likes , it’s a poor definition of anything

FOr me frugality is spending €10 on a meal when the one you really wanted is €20 and you have €30 in your pocket

Right. Frugality includes avoiding the debt trap. It’s the big one that too many cruisers fall into.

Money has zero value in itself, which is why I keep saying frugality isn’t only about saving a buck. It’s more about spending wisely. Wants vs needs…

No one said anything about not being able to be frugal at any level. That’s your thought. I agree, one can be frugal at any financial level, but it’s less of a necessity when you already have way more than you need.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:09   #104

Whatever the "tiny per day" number, that can last for weeks, maybe months, but not years.

Deferred maintenance WILL catch up with you, with a vengeance.

If you include the ongoing costs of keeping things shipshape over the years, ready to head out long distance, especially off shore

those costs will dwarf the cost of maintaining the frugal humans on board.

Even if you have the skills to DIY yourself.

There are schemes and scenarios that let owners off the hook, but that's cheating
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:01   #105

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

I agree. Preventative maintenance makes up a sizable portion of my day-to-day work. Cost is amortized whether we choose to factor it in or not. $5 daily, all expenses? At best this is a "glossing" of the truth but in actuality is either a mistake or outright deceit. The term, I believe, is "click bait."

I also believe everyone agrees on this point. The primary dissention I see is if the point is relevant or not, and this has sparked some insightful conversations as to the nature of frugality, especially as it relates to different incomes, and the benefit and detractions of frugality vs. excess.

Personally I enjoy moderation. Not mean moderation; median moderation. It's fun to rough it for a bit and then indulge in luxury, the appreciation for me is the contrast. If everything is the same all the time (even the luxury) then it becomes an expected baseline instead of a treat. Frugality can be part of such a habit. But it's all relative what that frugality or luxury represents.

Who here hasn't considered a hot shower to be an absolute luxury at some point in time?
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard