Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2022, 11:34   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Keys ‘Live aboard’ arrested

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-k...180121411.html
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 06:28   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Keys ‘Live aboard’ arrested

Interesting problem Fla has. Lives boards in the Great Lakes are romantic mariners who can walk on ice docks have a collection of broken bubblers and think one inch of fibreglass is a good home in -30c weather. Brave bunch not on the mooch.
We do have two illegal seasonal floating homes in the Toronto Islands and 2 legal ones which were grandfathered.
Sad to see the manipulation of one island family to ignore laws.
Homeless in parks destroying things and stealing from construction sites yup. Never been worse.
Some folks refuse to be productive and they are convinced it’s all our fault. We have a swath in Humber Park looks like a municipal dump. Car batteries stolen solar panels and marine batteries from the small city marina on the river. City took too long to remove him and the 30 foot structure so the local residents cleared him out. We already paid 18,000$ a year in Taxes to sustain him. We estimate he’s cost the city and local construction sites over $175,000.00 in damages.
More solutions are needed but the cost to nature is hard to take. The luxury boat market has to start crushing free boats.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 06:36   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

These things are common in the Keys
Old 14-10-2022, 07:46   #4

It is the sincere hope of plenty of legitimate boaters that the latest anchoring laws will do something to alleviate the serious and ongoing problem of bum boaters, but that is unlikely.

It would be a far simpler solution to merely require two things upon registration: liability insurance minimum and a 'license' of some sort to operate watercraft. From my POV, living onboard in the Keys full time, those requirements would do much toward ridding the bum boat population. Why the aforementioned is not done is beyond me; it would just be the same as for automobiles...
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 07:59   #5

At the risk of seeming dense, I don't understand how liability insurance or licensing would address the "bum boat" problem or how it would apply to any similar land based problem involving automobiles.

Please elaborate.
Be Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 13:39   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

I agree that all boats should be required to have liability and removal coverage. Given the state of car insurance requirements in FL it is hard to understand why this doesn't exist currently.

BUT, the article just highlights the standard "crazy boat bum" issue. Down in the Keys most of the crazies are anchored boats from either not being able or willing to pay for a slip/mooring, and/or they are enough of a problem/nurance that they have been kicked out of those places.
Old 14-10-2022, 13:52   #7

The title is borderline 'clickbait'.

The subject of the article happens to be a liveaboard. However, was arrested for removal all of his clothes in broad daylight, in view a family with small children.

Such a posting with no scope is really a bit misleading.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 14:15   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Well the article expands the topic including a shooting several years ago.there was a previous thread and a few articles.
The strain on services has a big dollar ticket.
The security check a form of harassment I gather, which is not working.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 14:30   #9

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
From my point of view it is bit presumptuous for you to post a link with no explanation (and a misleading title) and expect everyone to follow your link.

If you find something interesting I'd think you could summarize what it is and then provide a link in case somebody wants to follow up.

As for me, if someone says, "go look at this link", "go look at that link,"...my instinct is to say, "F**k off", I generally don't allow strangers to tell me what to do.
Old 14-10-2022, 15:46   #10

Boat: Sabre 34II

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
From my point of view it is bit presumptuous for you to post a link with no explanation (and a misleading title) and expect everyone to follow your link.

If you find something interesting I'd think you could summarize what it is and then provide a link in case somebody wants to follow up.

As for me, if someone says, "go look at this link", "go look at that link,"...my instinct is to say, "F**k off", I generally don't allow strangers to tell me what to do.
Agreed.

Links by themselves are spam risk, I don’t click on them, didn’t click on the above either.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 16:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
The title is borderline 'clickbait'.

The subject of the article happens to be a liveaboard. However, was arrested for removal all of his clothes in broad daylight, in view a family with small children.

Such a posting with no scope is really a bit misleading.

https://youtu.be/ZB62oaOeqR0?t=19
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 17:49   #12
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

My god the Keys have gone downhill, 30 years ago this wouldn’t have raised an eyebrow, normal behavior!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 23:32   #13

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

Ahoy smj: I'd have to concur with your belief that normal behavior in the Keys has changed.
My favorite memory of Key West was seeing a Zodiac dinghy going by......50' ABOVE the mast of my sailboat. It was 10am and so I was completely sober.

Seems he'd rigged a rotor blade to a frame, and had a pusher propeller over the outboard.
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2022, 09:31   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

The lesson is
If you anchor illegally in a navigational channel.
Don't do it next to a USCG base and then don't expose yourself just to p$$$ off the USCG

PS he was given 72 hours to move.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2022, 10:16   #15
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfant Du Vent View Post
Ahoy smj: I'd have to concur with your belief that normal behavior in the Keys has changed.
My favorite memory of Key West was seeing a Zodiac dinghy going by......50' ABOVE the mast of my sailboat. It was 10am and so I was completely sober.

Seems he'd rigged a rotor blade to a frame, and had a pusher propeller over the outboard.

No self respecting old time Key Westerner would be sober at 10:00 am!!!!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Live aboard