Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2022, 13:42   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: ‘We feel truly alive’ - Observer article about the newest crop of liveaboards.

Folks, give it up.

Sailors have rounded the world on very little.

You don't NEED batteries

Autopilots,

computers,

new sails,

bottom jobs,

VHF/GPS/AIS .

Get it?

It's a sailboat so you need some rags to raise to power your vessel, food, and water.

For entertainment books! Plus maybe a handline and some lures....

Bring along a $39 sextant

Work out your way from there.

The point is some could and have done it for very little.

Others though that spend $3,000 -$10,000 a month with their boat parked at a marina maybe not.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 15:35   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ‘We feel truly alive’ - Observer article about the newest crop of liveaboards.

And.. definitely not people who call 40ftrs Pocket Cruisers..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 16:48   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: ‘We feel truly alive’ - Observer article about the newest crop of liveaboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Folks, give it up.

Sailors have rounded the world on very little.

You don't NEED batteries

Autopilots,

computers,

new sails,

bottom jobs,

VHF/GPS/AIS .

Get it?

It's a sailboat so you need some rags to raise to power your vessel, food, and water.

For entertainment books! Plus maybe a handline and some lures....

Bring along a $39 sextant

Work out your way from there.

The point is some could and have done it for very little.

Others though that spend $3,000 -$10,000 a month with their boat parked at a marina maybe not.

Then of course there is the sweet spot in the center some where. To some $100,000 is chump change. To others a $20 bill means everything. But guess which one gets squeezed the most?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 13:49   #19

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C

Did I read that right? 5 pounds a day!!! I must be doing something wrong. Wife and I have been living on a 34 foot mono for almost a year. It was pretty well refitted and we have not had to many things break. We still are spending on average $1800 US. Thats in mexico. Im not sure how we could spend less, and call it life, not just surviving. We mostly anchor out, spend sometime in marinas. We eat out a handful of times a month, tacos are cheap. I'm certain our costs will go up with time. Things will break.
5 pounds a day is not reality.
Old 30-08-2022, 14:03   #20

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrider View Post
5 pounds a day is not reality.
It is for some
Much of the world , around 25% lives on less.
But that ain't them.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 14:20   #21

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Stopped reading after they said they live on 5 pounds a day.
It you have actually been following them on YouTube you will see that they are living very frugally and doing all the work themselves. If you are very frugal it is possible to live on very little. There is another couple who i have met that manage to live on virtually nothing and are having the time of their live on about the third boat they have rebuilt. Their site on YouTube is called Sailorama, its worth taking a look at to see how cheaply you can live.
I just wish i was a frugal as they are.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 14:21   #22

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
It is for some
Much of the world , around 25% lives on less.
But that ain't them.
I wont argue with that, there is alot of poor in the world. I have seen people living on less while in Cambodia

I dont believe that they can live their lifestyle on 5 pounds a day.

If anything breaks on the boat they are spending more then 5 pounds a day.
They might be able to eat and survive on that, but I dont belive they are accounting for every expense they have. They have a youtube channel. Camera gear breaks so do laptops and other elecrronics they are using, most editing software you have to pay for.
There are not many things you can fix on a sailboat for less then 150 pounds, which is a month worth of living expenses for them.
Old 30-08-2022, 14:25   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I’d take the whole guardian article with a grain of salt. , noone is living on a sailing boat for a fiver a day ( oh and their 60,000 yiu tube supporters ) was to abject nonsense , a litre of acetone is a fiver

I smell cow dung

pS a decent accurate sextant is several hundred dollars by the way , mine was
Old 30-08-2022, 14:27   #24
Nearly an old salt

We spend lots of time on and off in our marina cause wifey loves the town and has loads of friends , we stay on board over the winter and that’s exclusively marina based. Who wants to swing in a remote bay in January , get a grip folks
Old 30-08-2022, 14:37   #25

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Not an issue if you are far enough south.
Don't go by your spending standarts.
There are folks who live frugal even on shore.

I agree though that getting a boat suitable for frugal cruising is expensive and ocasssionaly there are more expensive repairs and replacements.

Guess the 5$ factor in only day to day living costs and only for folks without any insurance (boat&health), and without, in honesty, chocolate addiction, smile...
Old 30-08-2022, 14:40   #26

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
We spend lots of time on and off in our marina cause wifey loves the town and has loads of friends , we stay on board over the winter and that’s exclusively marina based. Who wants to swing in a remote bay in January , get a grip folks
We haven't been in a marina in 6 years
January is a fantastic time to be in a remote bay, be 30c + here most days
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 14:57   #27
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
We haven't been in a marina in 6 years
January is a fantastic time to be in a remote bay, be 30c + here most days
Here it will be 10 degrees raining and blowing hard , thanks I’ll stay in the marina , I prefer sitting in a cafe watching the rain and chatting to my friends
Old 30-08-2022, 15:00   #28

Quote:
Here it will be 10 degrees raining and blowing hard , thanks I’ll stay in the marina , I prefer sitting in a cafe watching the rain and chatting to my friends
Than, you picked the wrong location, if you want to really live truly frugal & in a nice spot...
Old 30-08-2022, 15:07   #29
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Than, you picked the wrong location, if you want to really live truly frugal & in a nice spot...
We live on a modest teachers state pension . She even gets a dependency allowance for me !!!

We like to eat out , 2-3 times a week , frugal meals ( mine tonight was 8 euros including a bottle of nice beer ) we cook on board the rest of the time

Weather from April to November is wonderful,in the winter we take language lessons , do cultural stuff , explore inland , so many places and countries to see , Albania this year for example

I certainly like to sail not swing on an anchorage for weeks. If I’m going to be stopped for a while , it’s a town for me.

So yes I’m frugal and yes I live in a nice spot.

Frugally is to a point , no point scrimping to a level dramatically below what you need to. , there’s no attraction in poverty per se.
Old 30-08-2022, 15:33   #30

Quote:
We live on a modest teachers state pension . She even gets a dependency allowance for me !!!

We like to eat out , 2-3 times a week , frugal meals ( mine tonight was 8 euros including a bottle of nice beer ) we cook on board the rest of the time

Weather from April to November is wonderful,in the winter we take language lessons , do cultural stuff , explore inland , so many places and countries to see , Albania this year for example

I certainly like to sail not swing on an anchorage for weeks. If I’m going to be stopped for a while , it’s a town for me.

So yes I’m frugal and yes I live in a nice spot.

Frugally is to a point , no point scrimping to a level dramatically below what you need to. , there’s no attraction in poverty per se.
Point is, what feels like poverty to you is not poverty but quite acceptable to others.

You eat out several times per week, many do that 1-3 a month and it's not an issue to them that they don't do it more often.

You want to be in a marina when you visit a town. Surely do it, but others anchor and take their dinghy to town (rowing!) and feel happy.

Some decide they have to have insurance and they would never feel comfortable without, to others that is quite acceptable if they can live their cruising livestyle due to this.

Cruising is not making indefinite holidays for many. If folks go out for three weeks holidays most of them have completely different spending habits than cruisers.

Cruisers on a pension have often very much different spending habits than the ones which work from the boat to finance their dream.
They all do it to a level they are comfortable with.

So frugal vs poverty is a very personal thing and viewpoint.

Tags
liveaboard