Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2012, 09:19   #46

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner View Post
Just a thought, but I'll bet you could find a boat to boatsit in Florida for a while just to get the feel for living on a boat even if it was only in a marina. Or possibly pay the slip fees worst case.

We went to our boat last spring with the intensions of getting her in the water, but ended up working on her and living on her for 3+ months in the yard on stands. It was a good experience and now we feel very comfortable on her in a day to day situation.

While you are living on a boat it would give you time to go out possibly on that boat or with others, look for a boat, and see the area.

Also a boat with less than 5 feet of draft preferrably less than 4 1/2 would open up a lot more possibilites as to where you went in the Keys, Florida coasts and the Bahamas. That is going to be hard to find in a boat over 40 feet. The same with finding a boat with a total mast height under 55 feet or 50 feet,

Sum

--------------------------
Yes I guess you are right there. For us I think it is more important to be comfortable so beam and length is probably much higher on our priority list than draft. I am thinking that if we had a good tender we could anchor off and get into coves etc with the tender. Bridge clearance at this stage is also not high on our must have list so if it is higher than 55ft we would provide it some thought but I don't think it would be a deterrent at all. I doubt that we will want to sail under bridges too much to get into a city etc but I may be wrong, so will keep it in mind.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 09:21   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feeg View Post
Be careful on your live aboard berthing fees. I am buying a 32.8ft Bavaria-if I buy a 32.9ft I am in for an increase in berthing fees of almost 40%(in rip-off Spain).
I know that the EU/UK is probably geared to rip everyone off. I will definitely be on the other side of the pond.
Old 23-09-2012, 09:24   #48

Boat: Tayana 37

Bluewater, since you're in the UK, why don't you look for a boat in the BVI? That would really simplify things for you. Especially since you plan to sail the Caribbean anyway. As far as a deep keel goes, it will help you point more into the wind when sailing and may reduce some side rolling, but don't forget, alot of anchorages in the Caribbean are shallow. The deeper your draft, the farther out you have to anchor. My boat is at 5'6" and it can be a pain in shallow water.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 09:25   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
IMO that's a good way for OP (and anyone!) to approach a search - the wider the target the more likely to hit. Getting too hung up on a specific model(s) means having to find one in the right condition, at the right place, in the right location - at the right time. Perfectly doable - but likely a lot of time involved.

I agree and my list of designs sits at about 11 designs. Here they are in no order fo preference:

Benneteau; Oceanis; Morgan Out Island; Jeanneau Sun; Odyssey; Dufour Classic; Dynamique; Bavaria 46; Gilbert Marine Gibsea; Harmony.

I am sure the list will grow. Perhaps someone would care to give their opinion on my provisional starting list as I know there will be many others that are well worth looking at.
Old 23-09-2012, 09:30   #50

Boat: Tayana 37

Looking at your list, I thought of this boat for you. Might work. Upper end of your price range, but I think it will fit you fairly well. Its in NC, not FL, but everything else seems to fit you perfectly.

http://www.charlestonharboryachtsale...searchtype=buy
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 09:33   #51

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Ah ok, I understand. Not sure that I would be too perturbed by that but will certainly bear it in mind now. Would a deeper keel not be slightly more sea kindly?
As a general rule, boats with a longer keel sail better, at least into the wind. There have been some improvements in design of hull, keel, and rudder that have made this general statement less of a concern. Being stuck on a sand bar, and spending a lot of time going around in deeper water though is not a time saver.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 10:37   #52
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
I agree and my list of designs sits at about 11 designs. Here they are in no order fo preference:

Benneteau; Oceanis; Morgan Out Island; Jeanneau Sun; Odyssey; Dufour Classic; Dynamique; Bavaria 46; Gilbert Marine Gibsea; Harmony.

I am sure the list will grow. Perhaps someone would care to give their opinion on my provisional starting list as I know there will be many others that are well worth looking at.
My first thought is that is a very Eurocentric list, one thing I have learnt on CF is that the US has made some nice boats.

Unfortunately I can't name any off the top of my head! , but with the Carribean being the US backyard then likely to be finding as many (if not more?) US models floating around - the price of that is having to puzzle out WTF a "Yeeha 44" actually is . and then whether worth even looking at.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 11:14   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
Looking at your list, I thought of this boat for you. Might work. Upper end of your price range, but I think it will fit you fairly well. Its in NC, not FL, but everything else seems to fit you perfectly.

Charleston Harbor Yacht Sales
I had a look at that one and yes it would definitely be the sort of design we would like. Thanks for bearing us in mind when you were scouting.
Old 23-09-2012, 11:18   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
My first thought is that is a very Eurocentric list, one thing I have learnt on CF is that the US has made some nice boats.

Unfortunately I can't name any off the top of my head! , but with the Carribean being the US backyard then likely to be finding as many (if not more?) US models floating around - the price of that is having to puzzle out WTF a "Yeeha 44" actually is . and then whether worth even looking at.
To us it doesn't matter where the boat has been built but what does matter is the longevity/durability and I guess a "proven" design. Oh, and neither are we too concerned with "speed". Comfort is paramount and not having a feeling of being cramped.
Old 23-09-2012, 11:20   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
As a general rule, boats with a longer keel sail better, at least into the wind. There have been some improvements in design of hull, keel, and rudder that have made this general statement less of a concern. Being stuck on a sand bar, and spending a lot of time going around in deeper water though is not a time saver.
True. We are not too perturbed about time though. We want to spend our time at a leisurely pace, so "getting somewhere fast" will not be part of our agenda.
Old 23-09-2012, 11:22   #56

Quote:
Bluewater, since you're in the UK, why don't you look for a boat in the BVI? That would really simplify things for you. Especially since you plan to sail the Caribbean anyway. As far as a deep keel goes, it will help you point more into the wind when sailing and may reduce some side rolling, but don't forget, alot of anchorages in the Caribbean are shallow. The deeper your draft, the farther out you have to anchor. My boat is at 5'6" and it can be a pain in shallow water.
Thanks we will take on board your info on the draft of the boat. I agree with the thought of looking at the BVI and already have that as one of the likely scouting areas for our yacht, thanks.
Old 23-09-2012, 11:25   #57

Quote:
I would imagine that we are going to be hard pressed to get below a 6ft draft, especially when looking at 44ft or more?
Old 23-09-2012, 11:33   #58

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
I would imagine that we are going to be hard pressed to get below a 6ft draft, especially when looking at 44ft or more?
No so. There are a lot of good boat's 44 ft and bigger with less than 6 ft draft. Shoal draft boats are everywhere in Florida and are hard to sell if they aren't shoal draft, here. In Califonia the oposite is true.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 15:15   #59

Boat: Topper Hermanson H44

If you would like a Corbin well within your price range you might want to look at
The Adventures of Alianna: ALIANNA FOR SALE
simio47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 22:18   #60

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812

Yes I guess you are right there. For us I think it is more important to be comfortable so beam and length is probably much higher on our priority list than draft. I am thinking that if we had a good tender we could anchor off and get into coves etc with the tender. Bridge clearance at this stage is also not high on our must have list so if it is higher than 55ft we would provide it some thought but I don't think it would be a deterrent at all. I doubt that we will want to sail under bridges too much to get into a city etc but I may be wrong, so will keep it in mind.
For me, I look at it differently. Draft and bridge height are critical factors. I love the Chesapeake in the summer but hate the stinging nettles. When it is 100 degrees, I like to head up river in Virginia to fresh water, where there are no stinging nettles and it is safe and fun to swim all day long. There is one hole on the upper Rappahannock that is very private except for an occasional bass boat. The water is fresh, the fishing is good, the swimming is great and two anchors will hold in place for weeks. The only thing is there is a 50' bridge and entry into hold is 4' to 5' . The York River bridge is 60' and on the James River at Newport News there is 60' bridge. I would hate to not be able to escape to fresh water with no sting nettles in hot July and August on the Chesapeake in Virginia. This is my two cents worth.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard