Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 19:18   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
V-berth foam

Lynn & I have been discussing replacing the foam mattress in our V-berth. She say's there is a bewildering array of foam available for this and we were wondering if others have found what works & what doesn't ....?
Bob & Lynn

L S/V Sew Good
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 21:46   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Well, not an expert on the issure, but we sure sleep good up there in the V-bierth on them foam mattresses.

We think it is 4" of open cell foam with sun-brella fabric all around..

All the cushions and mattresses was made over 10 years ago by a small Ft. Lauderdale canvas shop named Ocean Side Canvas.

Back then they were brand new and catered to guys like us.

These days they are busy making stuff for the mega-yacht crowd and have a long waiting list for 'little stuff".

Same with the guy that re-wired my boat 10 years ago:
He was good and did a hell of a good job on this here 33' sailboat: All his connections and wires are still like brand new..

Ran into him 5 years ago and asked for a small "check-up" as I had a problem with the house bank.

No change...Same thing, he was into big power boats and had no time for the little guys.

Not sure I would blame him...He and the canvas guys paid their dues and they been climbing the local ladder....Now close to the top and if I want their services, I better pay the same rates as they get from the mega-yacht folks.

Uh, what was the question again...?

Something about the V-berth..?
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:41   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
Think you will find that it is a high density foam. You can improve things even more by using a double layer, the first of high density foam, the top being "tempur" memory foam which is designed to take up the shape of your body, but then to return to proper shape as soon as you get off the bed.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:47   #4

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
My back is worth more than mere foam.

An innerspring mattress will only cost a few more dollars than a good quality foam and last many more years with better results..

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:00   #5
cruiser

2nd the two layer foam

If you don't go for the sprung matress, I 2nd the vote on the 2 layer foam. A softer memory foam at the top, and a firmer base foam. Depending on your preference for a hard or soft bed, vary the thickness of the soft vs hard foam to suit your taste. Best part if... if the spouse likes a softer bed, you can use a different thickness on her side.

I had a small RV at one point that had the double layer foam, and it was far more comfortable than my expensive Sealy home mattress / box spring.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:40   #6

Boat: currently "on the beach"
closed cell foam is the one with best density and no memory. no moisure / mold issue - closed cell - and no crush out/breakdown over time. i believe it is superior to inner spring (moisture/mildew inside, organic fillers) and open cell (nice and soft to start but will crush over time. if using open cell (much cheaper) make sure you go with top quality.

think of open cell as original styrofoam (water absorbing) in boston whalers vs new foam flotation (closed cell) that allows no absorption capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote