Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 03:45   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Using an [Inflatable?] Kayak as a Dinghy

+A1 on the rigid kayak...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1000125.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	60308  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:33   #17

Boat: Morgan 383
Re: Using an [Inflatable?] Kayak as a Dinghy

Using any kind of kayak as a tender is possible, but as previous posts have pointed out, all kayaks are not equal.

Kayaks can carry large loads, but depending on the design, loading and unloading can be cumbersome. Entering and exiting a kayak from a boat or dock can be tricky depending on the initial stability of the kayak, the person's skill level, etc.

As far as learing to roll a (fully loaded?) kayak, this skill is not needed unless the user is planning to play in big waves. I understand the reasoning behind the recommendation to learn to brace with the paddle, which is a valuable & needed skill if you are in a kayak. I have paddled in difficult conditions and very cold water and have never flipped a kayak. It is my personal expectation that if I did tip over, I'd fall out before my (weak) roll could get me upright. There are other techniques to deal with a capsize.

Kayak rolling is an advanced skill that is NOT like riding your bike without training wheels.

There are high performance folding and inflatable kayaks such as Feathercraft, Klepper, and Grabner. Expensive, but elegant. We carried a pair of folders on a 2 year cruise, used one of the once (my wife flipped hers at the dock). They just don't do it for me.

Also, while it is possible to carry large amount of supplies via kayak, how about picking up your daughter and her boyfriend when they fly in for a week. How do you accomodate guests (or big dog) that you need to transport/

I'll stick with my dinghy.
Dale Hedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:45   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have 3 kayaks. i have used a swifty perception entry level flat water kayak for 12 years as primary dinghy. i added a fun one inmazatlan, and i have a stearns inflatable i have ownd for many years, still in its bag. is a lil difficultto enter that from boat, so it isnt used much. the two hard kayaks are used frequently.
kayaks are much easier to surf than a walker bay 8..lol.....lighter by half when worn as hats, also, from surfing ...lol

in flat water lagoons, like barra de navidad, kayak is awesome cool for exploring the bayou-like mangrove areas--islands and canals in mangroves--very pretty.
as there is panga service here for 20-25 pesos round trip, we have been using pangas for transportation--fun and easy to arrive on shore clean and pretty.....
in most of the rough water anchorages, i found it easier to just use my walker bay to gain shore leave than the kayak, but others use kayaks exclusively--i believe is due to monetary constraints--one will find many low dollars cruisers here in mexico.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:56   #19

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Hedtke View Post
There are other techniques to deal with a capsize.
Yes, but none of them works in a chop when you don't have a second boat. Roll does.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 13:10   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my dealing for 12 years in choppy stormy san diego bay was avoid ship to shore transit.
even with other dinks. if it is that choppy then there is enough wind to remain on boat.
for over 12 years my primary dinghy has been a kayak--as i stated earlier-i have had no problem other than a hole in the end which i dragged over sand on the beach , repairable with heat and more plastic. easy peasy. is exactly why i chose this kind of non performance kayak. good only for transportation--very stable, and pack a lot, and easy to fix.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 14:29   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I have two kayaks I use for dinghy's. A small oldtown otter for flat water, and a 15 foot 2 person advanced elements inflatable. The Otter will hold about 3-4 bags of grocery's behind the seat. Its harder to get in and out off at the boat and I only use it in flat water.

The AE kayak is an open top kayak so very easy to get in and out of at the boat. Much easier then the hard kayak BTW.

The AE kayak has a 550# rated capacity and rows faster then a hard dinghy or a smaller hard kayak. It is slower then a hard kayak of the same size, but the stability is really great. Will take 2'-3' waves with out a problem. Though have not done that sideways.

Has two separate main air chamber and 2 layers of cloth over the tubes, so UV is less of an issue. Has a metal frame at the bow and stern under the outer layer to give it a finer bow entry. Best of all its only 43 pounds so I can girl handle it on deck all by myself,. A big plus

An electric air pump is recommended as it takes a lot of pumping to get all the chambers (5) pumped up. I use a cheap $12 12v pump to get the chambers half way up, then its only about 60 cycles with the double action hand pump. Figure 3 times that with hand pump alone.

I use it to haul grocery's, propane and fuel. It works for me anyway. By myself I just use the aft seating position. there is a middle position too, but the aft for me is easier to use. If the winds are over 20 knots, it takes a bit O work to maintain course.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 14:47   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Yes, but none of them works in a chop when you don't have a second boat. Roll does.
Traditional sea kayak, true. Recreational sit-in or sit-on, not true, just requires some practice, a bit like boarding a canoe. I've reentered kayaks in class1/2 whitewater, though I was glad i twas not my first time. In fact, sit-on kayaks make excellent one-person snorkeling boats because they are so easy to maneuver and so easy to reenter.

But mostly this is beside the point because tipping a recreational kayak in a harbor or modest chop is tough.
Old 03-05-2013, 15:06   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I have both and use them both. It comes down to a few things:
  • Solo. If there are 2 of you, a dingy is more practical. Solo, either way.
  • Load carrying. A recreational kayak can carry all one person will need easily. A case of bear and some groceries should not pose a problem. I've paddled a 20-pound Fortress out with chain; no problem
  • Speed in water. Faster than anything you row, slower than power. Paddling a hard dingy a few miles is reasonable.
  • Speed to launch. A hard kayak is the fastest to launch, period. If you can't manage davits for a dingy, the solo sailor is probably better served by a kayak.
  • Ease of entry. This is more practice than anything. Sugar scoops help (I have a ladder but it wouldn't help IMHO), but I can board over the side (3-3.5' freeboard (perhaps that is athletic, but I think it's just balance). Really, it's all balance and a little practice.
  • Getting wet. Only if you would have gotten wet anyway.
  • Inflatable vs. hard. I wish I knew. If you can't manage a hard kayak then you have little choice. The ones I've seen didn't paddle as well, but they were better than dingies and impossible to tip.
  • Reliable. Engine always works, and always lets me know when it's had enough. Never spins a prop.
  • Goes places dingies can't. Easy to drag on-shore.
  • Safety. At night, in rough water...dingy.
I have only tipped in white water when I was either not paying attention or pushing it. Never in a rec kayak on non-moving water. But learn a brace stroke (Google) anyway; try to tip it and prove to yourself you can prevent it.

I would try to borrow or rent. Who knows what is for you. I think you can tell that the kayak crowd enjoys the process, like riding a bike. Some folks will never ride a bike, I don't know why. This whole thread is like arguing which is better, bike or car. Around campus on a nice day, bike. With the whole gang across the state, car. No place to park (the small boat dingy problem), bike can do a lot.

This is the cheapest I own, but probably the BEST suited to cruising use I have seen. It's simplicity is it's strength.
Sail Delmarva: KAYAK

Bottom line, for me (family and solo).
* If I have davits, I'll take the dingy. If solo I may use the kayak more, but I'll take the dingy.
* No davits and solo, kayak for sure. A child can slide a kayak in the water.
Old 03-05-2013, 15:38   #24

Boat: PSC Orion 27

One thing not mentioned and depending on where you are, the inflatable kayak gives you a little better insulation than the rigid hull.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:14   #25

Boat: 1967 Grampian Classic 31

fantastic all around - thanks, guys.
theodyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 23:37   #26

Anyone using one of these?
Gumotex Palava inflatable canoe from only £495 delivered (innova vagabond)

I have one on my "watch list" on eBay, for AU$910.
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 23:43   #27

Boat: Jim Young Rocket 31

Just a comment from tropical climates - and for your consideration if you have cruising plans.
A dinghy with a motor - especially after dark - feels so much safer in crocodile country. If you cruise where crocodiles (or even sharks maybe) are active I would only ever use a dinghy with motor where there are things that want to eat you.
Just a thought.
tonysail1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, inflatable, Kayak