Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2016, 15:11   #136
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Toilet Paper!

zakleee-- the sweet smell of burning plastic and poo in nocturnal partying mexico.. yup. i am cruising ha h ah ah aha
this life so rocks.. itis kinda challenging to always try to be upwind from the burning trash on burn nights
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 20:47   #137

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Slightly OT.

We often took our laundry into towns, but I'll never forget the time we had clothes and linens that smelled like burning garbage.
The next day when I walked past the place we took them, I noticed other people's stuff hanging on lines being dried by being hung over burning garbage.

Argh. Never again at that lavanderia !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 22:36   #138

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Slightly OT.

We often took our laundry into towns, but I'll never forget the time we had clothes and linens that smelled like burning garbage.
The next day when I walked past the place we took them, I noticed other people's stuff hanging on lines being dried by being hung over burning garbage.

Argh. Never again at that lavanderia !
Tragically funny! But if you didn't want to smell like burning garbage you would have stayed home
Old 22-09-2016, 01:16   #139
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
...'no ritual and flush it all.
......... 44 years 4 different heads and never a clog!
I agree 100% and don't understand the gross baggin' fanaticism...

Seven years cruising with Jabsco manual heads for two and now Jabsco electric macerators for five... The TP goes down the toilet.

Not a single TP induced clog or replacement motor.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 04:15   #140

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I agree 100% and don't understand the gross baggin' fanaticism...

Seven years cruising with Jabsco manual heads for two and now Jabsco electric macerators for five... The TP goes down the toilet.

Not a single TP induced clog or replacement motor.

Same here, a single groco phII manual head for full and part time use for the last 7 years......never a single clog. Only one close event, but in hind sight still not close.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 05:06   #141
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Toilet Paper!

I think my toilet never clogged stories are kinda like 'I've never run aground stories'... this last delivery from SW France to Sicily saw the owner spending half a day trying to unclog his toilet.. he reckons from now on he'll be bagging..
Another point to remember is your ****/turds whatever are eaten by fish pretty quickly.. however that toilet paper you flush out kinda takes a few months to break down while releasing resident bleaches and chemicals..
Yeah, Yeah..!! I know.. its a big ocean

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 07:17   #142
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my anteek jabsco head never ever clogged. no clog in over 10 years of paper in a waste bag ownership... until some clown refused to bag the paper and flushed--on papier mache hose cloggings are not fun. and as soon as i got that clog out, another idiot who cannot follow directions does same thing. cannot vs will not follow instructions=not my crew.
you clog it, you fix it. period.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 07:30   #143
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

30 years and no clogs. Clogged the inlet once with seaweed, but a strainer solved that. On the other hand, I also keep my hoses relatively scale-free by flushing with fresh water most of the time. That is an important point.

Single ply. All brands disintegrate within a few minutes.

I have run aground. .
Old 22-09-2016, 08:09   #144
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my anteek jabsco head never ever clogged. no clog in over 10 years of paper in a waste bag ownership... until some clown refused to bag the paper and flushed--on papier mache hose cloggings are not fun. and as soon as i got that clog out, another idiot who cannot follow directions does same thing. cannot vs will not follow instructions=not my crew.
you clog it, you fix it. period.
Buy the process of elimination, I've determined that it's the Mexican food that caused your problems..... Not the TP.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 09:30   #145

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm a happy composter, and while I think it is the best option for a short-handed crew in a smallish boat, I only had one serious mishap with my previous standard heads (and that was due to over-filled holding tank). I always flushed the feces paper down, and never had a clog in nearly 10 years of usage.

My sense is that it's not the use of tp that is the problem, it's the amount one uses. In instructing our guests how to use our old heads, I basically told them: "If you clog it, you clean it." No one ever clogged it .
Old 22-09-2016, 09:44   #146

Boat: Tartan 37

My only clogs have happened with calcium build-ups and female guests putting products down the head that don't belong. This after the long lecture, funny part is when they say it wasn't them. We'll ok, how come we went 10 years with no problem and it clogs twice in one week.

We use Scott's TP, cheaper than most and easily found. It's a single ply, septic tank safe. Being single ply the rolls go much further and it breaks down very fast. Any TP that says it's soft and strong don't use on a marine head.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 09:55   #147
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
My only clogs have happened with calcium build-ups and female guests putting products down the head that don't belong. This after the long lecture, funny part is when they say it wasn't them. We'll ok, how come we went 10 years with no problem and it clogs twice in one week.

We use Scott's TP, cheaper than most and easily found. It's a single ply, septic tank safe. Being single ply the rolls go much further and it breaks down very fast. Any TP that says it's soft and strong don't use on a marine head.
BTW, septic safe means it biodegrades, not that it falls apart easily. Scott single ply is the thing, as you said.

Tags
oil