Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 20:45   #211
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'
Re: Tell me about Solo Sailing

Oh I guess that's what Jim just said hahaha

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-12-2015, 21:17   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
I will try the helmet, when sailing alone

I already stopped the practice of peeing out, way too dangerous!
You could always piss in your helmet! Just remember to empty before putting on
0urh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 21:49   #213

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

From single hand sailing advice to merkins on pushbikes... now THAT's thread drift!!

Jim
Old 02-12-2015, 22:37   #214

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
From single hand sailing advice to merkins on pushbikes... now THAT's thread drift!!

Jim
Don't blame me, I didn't started it, he did!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:16   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
If you follow your stated course of action I think the answer will reveal itself to you over time.

Not an unrealistic goal at all provided you become well versed in safety, emergency procedures, repairs, navigation, and of course the boat you choose is not so large as to be overwhelming.

Good luck and welcome to CF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Totally reasonable, and easier to pursue (IMHO) if you begin the boat buying process with this in mind. I am in the same boat single and not really wanting to put up with the quirkiness of strangers as crew for long periods of time. But I have no desire for those to be limiting factors in my future plans so I have been setting up my boat for single-handing and racing as much as I can under a variety of conditions to learn and to know what it takes to become completely self-reliant. There is plenty of info on single-handing and what equipment/techniques you might want to consider (PLBs, AIS, wind steering, etc.), though these are no different than a well-outfitted boat. You might also want to learn about sleep strategies and first aid for any situation. Here's one site for resources: Singlehanded Sailing Society | San Francisco Shorthanded Racing. It's not the most efficient way to sail, because you have to be very diligent about not getting over-powered, but two people on a boat are often single-handing, too, so the concepts and how to adjust are really not that great a leap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
The larger the boat, the more physical ability is required.

You don't have to be a body builder or aerobics instructor, but you do have to be in reasonable good health and have pretty good strength to solo sail a boat.

Boats over 34' (monohull) may be too much for a lot of people. Boats under 30' might just be too small. 32-34 seems to be a sweet spot. Still, the fact remains that it is physically demanding lifestyle.

You need to be able to stand, squat, crawl, and sometimes dash or possibly even leap. You need to be able to pull down and lift up with strength and certainty.

There are many tools, accessories, and other features you can use to reduce the load, but those devices can fail or in some cases may simply not be up to certain jobs.

Sorry, this is not meant to be frightening and I don't mean to overstate the case. There are plenty of retirees who are in good health and easily able to handle a sailboat, but then there are also those for whom it would be quite a struggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoveto View Post
I've done four Ironman Triathlons. I got the physical part!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I consider myself a single handed sailor. Most of my sailing was done single or with one other person... much of the latter was done with some one who is not a sailor. I have done a fair amount of solo sailing.... back from the Caribbean to NY was one long passage... with 2 kittens!

I've done a lot of solo sailing in LIS and some in southern NE. I like being out there alone. The boat is set up for this sort of sailing and so the only bit of concern is watch keeping. You simply can't be on watch and so some things at the same time. This is not as much a concern off shore, but coastal.... things can pop up out of no where ...fast... And there are others sailing solo and some down below at times too.

Good company is good company and nothing wrong with that. Small talk gets old fast.

With all these power assist physical and mental devices it's not as difficult as it probably once was. I am very reliant on the AP, the windlass... the power drill for the main halyard, the plotters, the roller furling... and so on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheldatksuedu View Post
I have done a lot of single handing and I am setting up a 45 ft ketch to be able to single hand it if needed. I plan to often have crew, but want to be able to go if I don't. One of the biggest problems is sleep if you are on a longer passage, On a coast you can often find a sheltered inlet every night or worst case couple days where you can drop anchor and safely catch up on lost sleep. To single hand a larger boat it takes a lot of thought on setting it up, so things can be done and handled by oneself. In my opinion a wind self steering gear is number one, it lets you get away from the wheel and do what is needed. Autopilots also can do the job but, mechanical is much more reliable then electric on a boat. Smaller boats, the suggested 30-38 ft are much easier, if you go larger, then it almost must be a ketch or yawl to keep sail size manageable for one.

At sea you can relatively safely grab an hours sleep if the weather is clear, there are many books about older single hand circumnavigators that sailed 26 ft boats, read some of those to get an idea what it's like. I think it is a lot more busy on the oceans these days then when they sailed and the larger boats don't keep a safe watch for smaller craft with the new electronics they have. If the electronics don't see you they probably don't. They would be liable but you might be dead right.

I learned to sail in Kansas. If you would like to borrow some books, I've got hundreds, check out my website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisle View Post
Sounds great to give up the 'house thing' and live on your boat.

Since you're the 10th person to post a message to this board you can choose a special title for yourself to replace 'Junior Cruiser'. What do you say?

Next chance for that is to be the first member to post 50 messages ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Not a pipe dream at all. Especially with a boat that wont over power you. The biggest thing for solo sailing is remembering to think a couple steps ahead, have a plan B if something goes awry. Of course that's true for sailing with crew too, but even more so when you are alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
Not a pipe dream at all, in fact it's my exact plan! Been working towards it since I was 18, have one more contract to finish up basically 2 years.
Started liquidating property this year, down to the house I live in and starting to get rid of possesions.
I can't wait to go.
I do have one concern though and it has nothing to do with sailing, I'm worried about getting bored within a week of getting someplace and just wanting to go sailing again!

Sent from my LGLS770 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
boater 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:57   #216
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tell me about Solo Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Wearing a head protection device makes sense when your going to encounter bad weather conditions such as typhoons(hurricanes), just plain bad seas(roaring forties and furious fifties), or in highly uncertain situations(we once got stuck inside a bay with a tsunami coming our way). Otherwise, no, you do not need head protection devices on.

OTOH, when my grand kids come cruising, they, along with the crew, wear inflatable life vests, tethers, footwear, fingerless gloves, and yes head gear.
But then again, the North Atlantic up where we are can get real mean real quick and our martin 242 can easily fly off building seas.

Of course seat belts are not necessary unless your going to have an accident.
Your a braver man than me Gunga Din if you sail one of these in the Roaring Forties and further South...

As for being stuck in a bay with a Tsunami headed my way a helmet is the last thing I would want..
The nearest hill over 200ft to run up is more my style..
Heavy weather sailing while solo is a simple matter of preparation and being tidy and seaman like..
Don't leave stuff lying around the cabin.. don't leave coils of rope laying around on deck where it can be swept over to foul your prop..
My experience is the folk who are most likely to get into trouble are the ones with All the Protection.. they get cocky and sloppy.
But then.. I've never been stuck in a bay in a Tsunami... love to hear how you sailed outa that one..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:24   #217

Quote:
Wearing a head protection device makes sense when your going to encounter bad weather conditions such as typhoons(hurricanes), just plain bad seas(roaring forties and furious fifties), or in highly uncertain situations(we once got stuck inside a bay with a tsunami coming our way). Otherwise, no, you do not need head protection devices on.

OTOH, when my grand kids come cruising, they, along with the crew, wear inflatable life vests, tethers, footwear, fingerless gloves, and yes head gear.
But then again, the North Atlantic up where we are can get real mean real quick and our martin 242 can easily fly off building seas.

Of course seat belts are not necessary unless your going to have an accident.
That's it.... I'm ordering a protective outfit for future sailing adventures as you have to be prepared for everything.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:41   #218

Boat: Bristol 27

Looks like this guy went with a motorcycle helmet!

https://www.google.com/search?q=sail...n0v3mpy3YlM%3A

Solar powered, singlehanded, small boat pilot with helmet. Maybe some of you guys can power your dinghy this way, but don't forget your helmet!

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...cQsKvLvh59M%3A

Then there's this : "Old Guy Looks Cool Sailing In Helmet............"

http://propercourse.blogspot.com/201...in-helmet.html
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:06   #219

Boat: O'Day 28

For Want of a Helmet

Stuck in a bay
With a tsunami today.
No hill to run to
No helmet to wear,
There's little doubt
How poorly I'll fare.
A helmet would save me
Of that there's no doubt,
But lacking one
I'll have to sail my way out.

So I took a swig
Of my old buddy, Jack,
Grabbed a last puff
Hack, hack ... hack, hack!
Kissed mah get-tar
The real love of mah life,
And grabbed the tiller and rusty
old knife.
Headed to sea to battle the gods,
Better than dying at home with the C.L.O.D.s!

The tsunami was rising
As it encountered the shoal,
The ninety-ninth wave,
Destruction its goal.
I reflected on my past sins,
(This took a long while),
And finally ... a reason to smile:
I placed the poop bucket
Atop my Tilley,
By the gods, I'll die with a helmeted head, even if I look silly!

The bucket was full.
Unfortunate me.
But at least it's my own
Poopies and pee.
Nor did it protect me
From brain damage and harm,
Flying objects struck me
I could sound no alarm.
The end came at a very great cost:
For want of a helmet a sailor was lost.

Paging Gordon Lightfoot ... I just know there's a country song here.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:10   #220

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Nice one, Blue Crab!

Jim
Old 05-12-2015, 15:27   #221

anyone sailing at 30 knots will find even a helmet will not save them from decapitation. The water at that speed is literally as hard as pavement. Most likely will snap the neck or crush the rib cage and then liquefy the heart. Tom Gentry, of racing boat fame, entrusted his survival in case of a crash at 140 knots to the capsule he was encased within.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 15:32   #222

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
anyone sailing at 30 knots will find even a helmet will not save them from decapitation. The water at that speed is literally as hard as pavement. Most likely will snap the neck or crush the rib cage and then liquefy the heart. Tom Gentry, of racing boat fame, entrusted his survival in case of a crash at 140 knots to the capsule he was encased within.
Might be a bit of an exaggeration re the 30 knots don't ya think or are you using 'literally' figurtually

Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 16:19   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Might be a bit of an exaggeration re the 30 knots don't ya think or are you using 'literally' figurtually

Depends on how you hit the water. A water skier will bounce and tumble after a dump. Hydrofoils will generally flip and tumble a person. A cat can suddenly dig in and fling a person at about twice the boat's speed(slingshot effect). In all cases there is a real probability the head will hit first and the rest of the body arch over the neck, effectively "decapitating" the person, although perhaps not literally removing the head. Snapped spine, crushed arteries, and smashed brain. In those circumstances a helmet may be of no value. Otoh, few cruisers are going to be moving at 30 knots. Kind of like the snow skier who is not moving but just falls over on their skies and dies.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 16:44   #224

Boat: O'Day 28

I've hit the water at more than 30 kts. A cup would have helped more than a helmet, and fortunately, water is not literally as hard as pavement.

In fact these errors and hardline opinions from "Dr. Reed" got me insterested. And interested. I called my buds at the NSA for a pic of the good doctor. Here is the only Dr. Reed they have on file:

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 17:33   #225

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I've hit the water at more than 30 kts. A cup would have helped more than a helmet, and fortunately, water is not literally as hard as pavement.

In fact these errors and hardline opinions from "Dr. Reed" got me insterested. And interested. I called my buds at the NSA for a pic of the good doctor. Here is the only Dr. Reed they have on file:

Are you suggesting fraudulent claims of wisdom?

A bold move.

I sleep better on the hook

Tags
sail, sailing