Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2012, 12:27   #1

Boat: ODay 34
Summer Slip 2013? - New England (ODay 34)

Looking for suggestions.
We are thinking of spending the summer in New England (NY to ME). Want to escape the heat of VA/MD, and we are originally from Newport, RI.
Admiral is a school teacher, so that leaves us with a good 2 months.
I do need a slip because of the 2 med-size dogs aboard, and would love to find somewhere with a town within walking distance. Dogs would love a daily walk to get my coffee
MeGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 13:31   #2

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: Summer Slip 2013? - New England (ODay 34)

Constitution Marina - there is a town called Boston that is walking distance. You have a subway ride to air, train and bus. Or pick up a rental car.

There are several marinas in Narragansett Bay with slips. I would choose those over Boston myself as I prefer that area for cruising, but spending a couple of weeks in Boston as part of it would be a nice way to see New England.

You could summer on Nantucket too.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 13:40   #3

Boat: 1973 Contest 33

Getting away from the heat in New England??? Two places come to mind in Lower New England - Watch Hill - Napatree Point to be exact - and Block Island. I don't find it comfortable in my marina on the CT River but do find those two places breezy and much cooler. Problem is that there isn't much going on in Watch Hill nor are there many slips and a slip in block island could be $$$ but I see we are only talking a 25' boat here so maybe not so bad. If I had to spend the summer in once place it would be Block Island. Payne's or the Basin, not Champlains.

I suspect that Cape Cod would have favorable conditions but I have not made it there yet.
Captmorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 14:03   #4

Update - Oday 34 now
Boston might be good .... not sure about Block Island - at tad rowdy in a slip plus yes its expensive
Cape Cod - Anyone else have info on the Cape? that could be interesting.
Old 19-11-2012, 14:29   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Block Island - that's stuck in nowhere for 2 months!

Cape Cod is OK but you aren't going to see much without a car.

Boston - Constitution marina is a good spot for sight seeing as you can use public transportation, but it will be noisily with the highway next to it etc.

Salem - Hawthorne Cove Marina, I stay here because of the location mostly. Easy walk into town, train station into Boston, ferry into Boston, a lot easier to do some sailing compared to the amount of time to get in/out of Boston harbor (which has a lot of islands and is 20 miles sail away). You could get a mooring that includes launch service that runs 8-10 during the season.
Old 19-11-2012, 14:32   #6

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeGeek View Post
Update - Oday 34 now
Boston might be good .... not sure about Block Island - at tad rowdy in a slip plus yes its expensive
Cape Cod - Anyone else have info on the Cape? that could be interesting.
We've done short term stays at Kingman Marine on Red Brook Harbor. Pro's -- It's a well run operation with easy access to Buzzard's Bay so trips East to the rest of the Cape and the Islands or North through the canal are easy. Cons -- The slips in back are well-protected meaning it can get hot. You're not an easy trip to town unless you have a car. I don't know about availability for a full season.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 14:40   #7
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

Not what yo ask for but if I had two months I would go all the way to Maine and back and not get just one slip in one marina. You have two months. Do not stick yourself in one marina!!!
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 15:15   #8

RDW - Great point but I didn't mention I will likely need to work. I work from home today but if things get busy I could need to travel or something. The Admiral would not be happy if I abandoned her if some far off land. (Or maybe she might like that to get away from me)
I was also thinking about the expense .... get a seasonal rate then weekend to other places.

Tags
England, england