Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 07:25   #31
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
I think some people forget there are all kinds of nuts. Boat nuts and bike nuts are two kinds that come to mind.

Most people in here are boat nuts. Could be that grunzster is both a boat nut AND a bike nut. Plenty of people think we boat nuts are nuts and put way too much time and money into our boats. Why is it so hard to understand someone wanting their nice bike on board? Makes perfect sense to me.

I keep my Specialized mountain bike AND my Austro-Damlier street bike on board. Why? Because I really like bikes. Having ridden nice bikes, I can't STAND riding a mediocre one. To me, the hassle is worth it. I spray them down with silicone. No covers, and I don't disassemble. They just take up a huge share of the salon. I bring them back home if I'm going to have more than one guest on the boat. (Note: I have a power boat with a 10' wide salon.)

Speaking of nuts, I think it was somewhere on this forum I saw someone using a davit to hoist their Harley off their boat!

So, come on. Nuts of the world unite! grunzster wants their bike on board and is looking for suggestions. They have already thought it through and have their own ideas, so it's not surprising that they would shoot down some ideas. But being smart, they are just looking around in case someone has a better idea. And from grunzster's last post, they HAVE learned something from your posts so far.

-dan
EXACTLY!!!

For some people it's all about the boat and nothing but the boat. I'm really starting to get the impression that to some of those types, anyone who brings along anything that's deemed unnecessary or to be a PITA is considered an idiot.

I'm far from being one of those people who wants to bring along every little gadget/convenience from home. I've already gotten rid of most of what I own, but there is a short list of toys, that I refuse to part with, the bikes being one...er two.

I went for a ride on Sat. It was cold, it was miserable, my hands were frozen, and snot was flowing out of my nose like a faucet. Once I start dodging these NJ winters, I'll be damned if I'm going to ride a POS that I don't enjoy riding. If you like your folding bike good for you, but it's just not for me. I'm not trying to brag here. I'm FAR from the greatest rider, I just happen to like to like the bikes I already have.

Efraim:
Thanks for the tips. Nuisance I can deal with. That's be expected, unless i move to Arizona, and never ride in the rain.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:28   #32

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
I can't believe you guys are still discussing bicycles on a sailboat forum. The thread has been entertaining, however.

Cheers!
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:38   #33
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty28 View Post
I can't believe you guys are still discussing bicycles on a sailboat forum. The thread has been entertaining, however.

Cheers!
We are actually discussing "bicycles on a sailboat" on a sailboat forum...
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:18   #34

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
quick fyi

electrical connection spray works great for keeping rust prone areas clean and rust free
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 13:03   #35
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
roverhi, thanks bud,

the emt's just left after packing up the defib paddles. I went to the bikefriday.com website and looked at their folding bikes. My stars above, when I saw prices of plus $2k I went into arrest.

For that kind of money I can hire a palanquin along with native bearers. Even in Miami!!
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 13:44   #36
Han

Boat: Orca 38
Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here. I live aboard full time (at a marina for now) and I commute to work by bike. I've kept my nice Brodie road bike on the dock for over a year with no noticeable problems. It's only recently that I've had to replace a few bearings after the boat got jealous one stormy night and pushed my bike into the ocean. (I've been much more vigilant about where I tie it up since then ).
Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 17:54   #37

Not too many answers addressing the original concerns . A high quality bike should have few problems on board and not need any sort of bag or case if kept below when not used and a small amount of care given to it. People with scare stories about frames rusting are talking about low end or old style bikes and those mentioning folding bikes just don't know what biking is about .

We have only carried bikes a few times on board and that for just weeks at a time, but very exposed with them lashed to the lifelines. But we do have 7 mountain bikes in the garage (my own bikes and my son's) and my son works in the bike industry so I have also had a chat with him before writing this post, therefore the following comments not just constructed from imagination. We also live on a windy surf beach so things are pretty salty and sandy even around our home (anyone want a window cleaning job ).

A good bike will have a carbon fibre or a quality aluminium frame - if aluminium it will be of at least one of the higher grades of 6061 (boats are built of 6061 so it is fine) - corrosion should not be a problem there. My son says they occasionally get warranty returns on aluminium framed mountain bikes that have been used on beaches a lot, generally bubbling of paint where there has been paint damage and the oxide reforming lifts the paint edge leading to wider paint failure. They refuse such warranty claims. Sand in components is a much bigger danger though than salt.

On a good bike there should be little else to worry too much about as it will all be generally be aluminium, stainless steel or plastic or easy to look after.

Cables, unless an old bike, brake rotors, etc should all be stainless steel.

The chain will be steel as may be some fasteners, bushes and bearings, rear cassette, etc but in the end good bikes (especially mountain bikes) are made to be serviceable in the wet, through rivers and mud without running to rust or other corrosion. In any event most of these parts should be well lubricated regardless of environment - general good care with greasing, keeping clean and spraying with silicon should take care of those just as one should be doing anyway. Chains especially will show a slight flush of rust even after degreasing and washing with water but normal lube prevents that as does silicon spray.

Some components when worn, such as the steel stanchions used on cheaper front suspensions, will rust if the plating is worn though use but at that stage one will be at replacement time anyway. Similarly it is common for the likes of the inside of the socket heat screws used on stems (steering tube to handlebars piece), etc to show light rust after they have been adjusted a few times but not too many of these and are easily cared for.

These things will just need a little extra attention to care.

In the end I would have no problems with keeping my own bikes on board (in fact I had the locker door into one interior storage area made big enough to do so when the boat was built) and carting them ashore in the dinghy. I wouldn't consider any sort of bag or container necessary if kept below decks. Even bikes ashore appreciate a wash down with fresh water (spray, not a jet) and I would do the same when water is accessable if kept on board - even putting it out in the rain. I have seen good bikes living on marina docks around here exposed to salt spray, etc and they seem to stand up well.

Bikes with cheap components, and especially the steel framed bikes which will have both cheap components and a non corrosion resistant frame will be a problem for certain (even on land ).
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:44   #38
Marine Service Provider

WOW!

Thanks MidLandOne that's exactly...make that way beyond what I was looking for.

I think I'll be fine. My roadie is carbon with all Shimano Ultegra, and I really try to avoid taking it out in bad conditions.

The MTB isn't nearly as high end as the roadie, and is starting to show some of those symptoms you mentioned, but it's also over 12 years old, I probably don't maintain as often as I should, and it's been through hell and back.

I guess all I really need to do is figure out a way to get them into that rear berth so that they're not slamming into each other. Maybe just simply removing the front wheels and lashing them up against opposite sides.

THANKS!
Old 02-12-2008, 13:28   #39

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
So it seems that if you take off the seat and bars and use a little Corrosion-x on the inside also you should be good to go.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:44   #40
elf

Boat: Catalina 30
I am not going to tell you to buy a folding bike. As a cyclist, I know what it is to love your current bikes and not want to change. However, I am tired of hearing folding bikes get dissed. There are a lot of misperceptions about folders being thrown around that are just plain inaccurate. If the RAAM is not a long enough ride to do on a folder, I don't know what is.

Lon Haldeman and his Bike Friday

My husband and I also did a 565-mile tour on our Bike Fridays (averaging 62-63 miles daily).

Upstate NY Tour on Bike Fridays

We have touring models (Pocket Crusoe). The Pocket Rocket Pro model is very lightweight and can be spec'd with Dura-Ace and all the other bells and whistles you'd want on a racing bike.

These are not bikes for wimps.

But I won't tell you to buy one.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:16   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Is it too late to ask if you've actually tried to get a bike in and out of the Gemini aft cabin?
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:12   #42
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
Is it too late to ask if you've actually tried to get a bike in and out of the Gemini aft cabin?
Actually it's WAY too early.

Considering I don't have the boat yet.
Old 03-12-2008, 16:25   #43

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Hey grun,

Two things.

There is a product called Salt Terminator that I have used on used fishing tackle that seems to work. It is a blue liquid that one can put into a pump sprayer.

Salt Terminator Just one place I found. Google has umpteen hits.

And.

Maybe you have seen this but they are cruising on a Gemini. They are to be at the boat show at St. Pete this week. Maybe I will try to "run into them". I assume they will be checking in on the Gemini on display. I will ask Brian.

"Today, Friday, I am going to get the bikes out so we can explore the small town."

From Cruising Log Jim and Deb Faughn
Home Cruising with Jim and Deb Faughn
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 17:19   #44
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
rust is NOT inevitable

I have a carbon fiber road bike with Campy components that spends a good deal of time aboard. The only rustable component on that bike is the chain, and I probably lube it more than most folks, at least most land dwellers, so it's not a problem.

On my last boat I welded Yakima fork holders onto the pushpit, and it was a great cruising solution. Unfortunately, on the new boat that's where the dink rides on davits, so I lose that option. But the new boat is large enough that I can store a pair of bikes down below during passages without having to disassemble them. No need for a carrying case, a couple of bungee cords keeps them where I want them.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 17:36   #45
elf

Boat: Catalina 30
Just correcting the URL if anyone was interested in our Upstate NY bike tour website:

Across NY on Two Bike Fridays

My husband also has a carbon Trek, and I used to have a carbon racing bike as well. The Bike Fridays are just a lot more boat friendly and are comfortable and fast as well (when stripped down of racks and panniers). But to each his own - we're just satisfied Bike Friday customers.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote