Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2013, 20:35   #16

Boat: HATTERAS 50c, 55'aol
Re: Spares - Nuts, Screws, Electrical Stuff

I have mostly parts that I need to continue running. Impellers; pulley belts; spare rebuilt fuel injectors; fuses (esp.) 50A 230V shoreline; DUCT TAPE (lol); extra trim tab oil; motor and tranny oil (same); extra extended shore power cord; two sets of dock lines - both sets onboard when cruising on trips; extra fenders for heavy winds; extra anchor lines; extra anchors (two) besides the bow anchor; spare air and oil filters for both mains and both gens; extra vhf radio. Besides nuts and bolts; cotter pins; shackles; screws, etc... I have twin DD's so one will probable get me to port but I really don't want to spend my vacation or cruising trip looking for spare parts.

captseamus
captseamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 23:43   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If the amount of spares aboard makes ya raise the water line then ya might have reached your limit!!! I love my spares and old parts, even the broken stuff may have a use!!!
Old 27-10-2013, 07:48   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Don't know if this has cropped up, but certain items are useful for trade and barter with other cruisers from one's spares. They don't have to weigh much.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 08:00   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

montenido--i had similar situation. now that i have been sailing here in mexico a coupla few years i have found where most of them actually go and went before previous owners stripped things in error.
might be a good idea to keep some of those., your boat is heavy., will take more than 1000 pounds of stuff to make any kind of slight difference in handling or performance. carry them around a bit longer, at least until you are secure in knowledge they are not necessary equipment. you also have the space for stowing the stuff .....

remember where it is you are intending to cruise, and pack the items safely away for future repairing which WILL happen. stuff here is different from stuff in usa. you could well need some of those items in reasonably short order, and have no way to find them, nor the words with which to describe them for re-purchase.

some items are excellent barter goods here. consider that option as well....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, crew, electric, electrical