Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2014, 21:13   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Selling my toys to buy a live aboard boat

I was talking about myself in fact. I took my time and still managed to confuse obviously.

Coops.
Old 25-11-2014, 21:27   #17

Boat: Havsfidra 20

I has been my experience that you can buy a $30,000 boat or a $3000 boat and spend $27,000 on it... I guess it depends on the level of seaworthiness you require, but there are no cheap boats... After one failed project boat I waited and got an almost-ready one. Best way to do it in my opinion. Sanding your deck and scraping your hull costs you time and money. Using that time to make money and save enough to buy a good boat is much smarter. I suspect the percentage of failed restoration projects greatly outnumbers the successes... That said, some people can do it...

As to the original question... I would suggest something able to cruise offshore, just in case you decide to do so later. A full keel heavy displacement boat. There are plenty of affordable 70s models that fit the bill. For two, it always seemed to me that a 32 footer is the perfect size.

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 22:02   #18

I put a quick list together to get me started these are must have things.
Big v berth im 5'8" don't want my feet hanging off the end of the bed large Foredeck,steering wheel, Head room, Kitchen, Toilet, holding tank, inboard diesel motor, heater.
Things that can be questionable. Motor doesn't need to run, pluming,electrical, paint ,wood work . these are all things I can fix myself.
popeye31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 22:15   #19

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
I has been my experience that you can buy a $30,000 boat or a $3000 boat and spend $27,000 on it... I guess it depends on the level of seaworthiness you require, but there are no cheap boats... After one failed project boat I waited and got an almost-ready one. Best way to do it in my opinion. Sanding your deck and scraping your hull costs you time and money. Using that time to make money and save enough to buy a good boat is much smarter. I suspect the percentage of failed restoration projects greatly outnumbers the successes... That said, some people can do it...
+1000
As someone who just finished up a 2+ year refit that in the end took longer cost way more then originally anticipated, I couldn't have said it any better. There is a reason their are so many half finished projects and neglected boats lying around nearly every marina. Penny wise is often pound foolish.
Old 25-11-2014, 22:57   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Not knowing where yous is makes it difficult to make specific suggestions. However I offer the following opinions.

1) Something 30 - 36' would do most of what you want. A beamy boat has way more interior space than a narrow one. Shallow draft (say 4'6") is more pleasant than deep draft.
2) Fibreglass is almost a given but if a good sounding steelie turns up do have a look.
3) In general newer boats are much nicer than older. Yes the heavy classic older boats were great in their day but that may have been thirty years ago. Look at boats 15 or so years old and compare them with much older boats. As a mechanic you may enjoy not having to spend most of your time fixing stuff. In my opinion older boats can be overpriced for what they are.
4) For the same boat the more expensive one may offer better value. It should have have been better looked after, have more up to date equipment and just plain old smell better. Think one obsessive owner gararged car as compared to junker of the same make, model and age.
5) If you are in the position where you can keep working and keep looking that this is a way better strategy than buying right away unless you're looking at the deal of a lifetime.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 08:12   #21

Boat: East Orient 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye31 View Post
Sorry I didn't specify but it will be a sail boat. And I would say room for two . I might pickup on a stray every now and then.
Let's hope you mean a stray cat. I wouldn't want to be on your boat with that attitude.
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 10:13   #22

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye31 View Post
Ok so I just turned 39 and Im selling my cars and junk to buy a nice boat. I will be moving on to the boat as a live aboard. my question is do yall have any recommendations on a few boats for me to research and maybe go find at my local dock and check out . There are so many boats out there I just don't know where to start. My plans are to do mostly costal sailing but would want to do a little island hopping also. It is going to be a year or two before I buy a boat but would like to do a little research before I buy . I've read enough posts of people that bought the wrong boat. I don't mind buying an older boat that needs some TLC im a mechanic by trade and can fix anything even if im on the side the road. Looking for replies from seasoned Live aboard.
Hi ! You must give a budget: Have a look on the Great Lakes where I just bought a 1987 Ericson 34 in EXCELLENT shape (Fresh water sailed, 6 months a year...). Don't look below 34' for 2. Make a list of all things essential (Dodger, bimini, two anchors, chains, GPS new sails or not... etc, etc, etc...). Then you can really compare different pre-owned sailboats. Forget about weekenders with shaggy carpet. Prefer a good 34 footer to a not so good 38 Good luck !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ERICSON-34.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	92385  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 11:55   #23

Boat: solaris 42 1978

i have a 42 solaris ,, i bought it with a budget of 70,000 ,, i put everything i had in it and is a very comfortable live on boat ,, i could not be any happier nothing else i wanted to buy well maybe a better stereo !! ,, then the unthinkable happened my injector pump swarmed on me due to bad fuel ,, and they say must build the injectors as well , i am selling my boat for a reasonable offer ,, i guess when you spend money getting something you want " perfect" for you hold back for emergencies ,, i would consider a partner if you wanted to live in the bay of panama and points south ???
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 16:08   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagypsywoman View Post
Let's hope you mean a stray cat. I wouldn't want to be on your boat with that attitude.
Strays come in every shape and size. could be a cat, dog, or a pretty lady I meet, or and old friend that needs a place to crash for the night, heck might even be the local dock drunk that's looking for a drink. who knows. As for the attitude Im positive, friendly, helpful, honest. what concerns me is someone with a name like sea gypsy woman I would have to keep an eye on my vhf radio and solar panels. LOL
Old 27-11-2014, 16:12   #25

Im in New Orleans Louisiana
Old 27-11-2014, 17:09   #26

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

We really do need some idea of price range to give you much help.

I bought a fixer upper and I think I could have been money ahead by spending more up front and starting with less to do.

When you say" I can paint" remember that there is a lot of area on a boat. I've restored a couple of old cars and couldn't afford a professional paint job so I did it myself. Huge job. Several times the area of a car and much harder to get it flat and divot free. After 6 months of prep my best friend rolled and I tipped. That was the fun part. One day for each coat of the fly bridge. One day for each coat of the house and trim. One day for each coat on the top sides. 3 finish coats after two to four primer coats. When I was ready to launch the maintenance manager at the yard came and looked at it and complimented me. He said most guys get into the middle of that big a job and wind up paying the yard to finish it. I did hire a young guy with good shoulders to sand the bottom.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 18:25   #27

Ok so im hoping to have around 18-30,000 after selling my junk off. probably more around the 25,000 mark you always get less than what you think your going to get.
Old 28-11-2014, 08:18   #28

There is definitely not a lot of good boats available around NOLA. There are a lot of people wanting a lot of money for hulls that barely float. Lol

New Orleans, LA
msfxJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 08:25   #29

Boat: solaris 42 1978

so true ,, we have boats abandoned here in panama time to time one is sinking slowly within sight of mine older steel hull ,, a real big motor sailer last year claimed by a local salvage company has not moved in 3 years a great live aboard ,, then like m buy a 35,000 dollar boat and put 35,000 in it
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 13:26   #30

So what happen I tell yall what I expect to spend and yall flake out on me.