Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2014, 15:07   #1

Talking Selling it all for a bluewater boat - Advice requested :)

Good Afternoon!

After two years of talking and now that I am done with college, my guy, Doug, and I are narrowing down the options for our move to a blue water liveaboard boat. I would GREATLY appreciate some hints/suggestions/advice especially for this area/purpose/etc. Here are the details so far:

Occupants: Early 30's couple with one husky and fat cat. He is medium build and strong (rescue swimmer); she is short, petite but crossfits (can handle a bit but not TONS )
Looking for boat: West Coast (California up to Canada)
Budget: up to 95K; Could go to 100K for PERFECT FIT of a boat
Length: up to 42ft (Doug would be comfortable with 39ft )
Year: After 1990
Purpose: Livaboard and circumnavigational capabilities
Occupant experience: Prior Navy (terminology is good; very first sailing lessons in March)
Moving date: Lease is up in June... FINALLY! We will go month-to-month after until we find a boat. M2M is expensive so it assists in motivation.
Other notes: Enclosed pilothouse has been stressed.

I have found many positive reviews on high 30's Hunters circa mid to late 90's, Beneteau and Jeaneau. We went to the marina (Chula Vista) and viewed two 42ft late 70's boats. Nope - gonna go with more modern boats as I do not want to fix-up stuff as I don't have time for it now.

I know a lot of advice is based on opinion and personal experience. However, I have grazed over this forum and with so much knowledge floating about, I have to ask!
I appreciate it and please let me know if any other details will help us in figuring out what boat will be a proper fit! Cheers and thanks in advance!
bcholette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 15:13   #2

Re: Selling it all for a bluewater boat - Advice requested :)

Where are you planning to go?

Really, affects the answer.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 15:15   #3

Stu -
Our first long trip will be to Canada after we master (ha ha) the California coast. After that, a plan to Australia or Japan (depending on where Doug is stationed) will be next on the list.
Is this helpful?
Old 23-02-2014, 15:17   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

You don't have to spend anywhere near that much money.

WESTSAIL - CRUISING BOATS FOR SALE
Old 23-02-2014, 15:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
You don't have to spend anywhere near that much money.

WESTSAIL - CRUISING BOATS FOR SALE
We were in agreement in our conclusions that if we found a newer, slightly more expensive boat with all the needed/upgraded navigation/electrical/mechanical/sail la-la recently replaced/fixed/etc., this would be the price range for a non-fixer-upper.
However, if this is a higher budget than required, I am okay with taking out a smaller loan! Absolutely!
Old 23-02-2014, 15:44   #6

If you are really thinking about going to Japan from Cali, then safety at sea should be a primary concern. I am extremely biased but I feel that Westsail built the strongest fiberglass production boats ever made, and they are a bargain for what you get in return for some of the other brands you have mentioned here, as well as being a lot prettier. Take a look at this couple that have sailed around the south pacific :

Fluid Motion...
Old 23-02-2014, 15:54   #7

Thanks, cburger!
I do agree that safety is our prime concern and I appreciated a biased opinion that has been stated due to experience as opposed to hearsay.

I wish the website was a little more updated (last post was six years ago >< ). However, the images and information on what the boat equipment is was inspiration as well as informative.

-B
Old 23-02-2014, 16:02   #8

Boat: Pearson 26

If you are relying on a loan for part or all of the purchase price, it'll be a lot easier if the boat is no more than 20 years old; so...1994 or newer.

The pilothouse adds to the challenge. Good luck!

This is what I found on yachtworld:
1995 Pacific Seacraft 32 Pilothouse Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Hard to go wrong with Pacific Seacraft. Great boats, but at 32' may be a little "snug" as a liveaboard...
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 16:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcholette View Post
Thanks, cburger!
I do agree that safety is our prime concern and I appreciated a biased opinion that has been stated due to experience as opposed to hearsay.

I wish the website was a little more updated (last post was six years ago >< ). However, the images and information on what the boat equipment is was inspiration as well as informative.

-B
Westsailors are a cult, I sent you the link to look at the quality of the work Kevin did as well as the places they safely visited and encourage you to look closely at their website. Westsails have probably sailed more bluewater miles that most. Here is a link to the family: WOA Home page
Old 23-02-2014, 16:07   #10

Boat: Pearsnon, 422, 42 feet

Hey I'm no expert, but with the type of sailing you're talking about doing I think you should take a look at Tayana yachts, www.tayanaworld.com BaBa yachts, bluewaterboats.org/baba-30/‎ and Hans Christian yachts, www.hanschristianyachtsthailand.com
Mpricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 16:11   #11

Boat: Pearsnon, 422, 42 feet

I'm no expert here, but with the type of sailing your are talking about doing I think you should look at Hans Christian Yachts, BaBa Yachts, and Tayana Yachts. These are serious Water boats">blue water boats and they make great live aboard boats.
Mpricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 16:12   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

I think writing off boats from the 70's and 80's is doing yourself a gross disservice. There are boats from that era, then there are boats. It is all a function of how well it has been maintained and what kind of refit the previous owner(s) have performed. You could easily find a boat from that vintage that is ready to cross an ocean compared to a more recent Hunter that you need to invest tens of thousands of dollars into to make it capable of that voyage. You need to look at a lot of boats, since no two are the same, and start to develop an internal database in your head about what you get for what money and which features/equipment are important to you.

There are plenty of Hunters and Beneteaus that have crossed oceans and gone on world voyages, but you're going to want to update/modify a range of hardware and systems, at the very least, to make them reliable for that kind of trip.

The pilot house requirement is going to narrow your options dramatically. It's a huge plus when cruising the Pacific NW, but it sort of cuts you off at the knees in terms of boats that will fit all your other requirements.

Your main stumbling block is that you don't have any prior experience with this. What you think you need now will very likely turn out to be very different from what you decide you need after living on and sailing on a boat for six months. You can't really make these decisions theoretically, in the abstract, based on other people's opinions and experiences.

What seems like a lot of boat for the money, and in good shape could well turn out to be an abatross around the neck of your dreams in a short period of time. If you have the wherewithall, I would suggest volunteering to crew on a few blue water voyages before you pull the trigger on a boat. Otherwise I can pretty much guarantee that within a year of purchase you'll be wishing you had.

As an aside, I always find it funny hearing of ex-Navy folks who are just learning to sail. I know an ex-Admiral who only learned to sail after she retired. I know, I know, sailing has nothing to do with our modern navy, at all, but it's just sorta ironic.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 16:13   #13

[QUOTE=Ishmael;1475510]If you are relying on a loan for pert or all of the purchase price, it'll be a lot easier if the boat is no more than 20 years old; so...1994 or newer.

We got a loan for the full purchase price of our 1976 Westsail 32 in one day. I guess quality never goes out of style.
Old 23-02-2014, 16:45   #14

cburger - Doug and I are currently researching the mythical Westsail 39.
suijin - I see the obvious logic in your first paragraph. I feel like this is much like getting an old classic car that has been retrofitted with modern bits. At the same time, I do agree that it is HIGHLY ironic about the Navy/sailing. Only one of my ex-sailor buds has been on an actual naval sailing vessel - a historic one up in the northeast. Seriously, thank you for the words. I am looking into a few bluewater trips (a lot go to Mexico for fishing) - I will hopefully find one that is less than four months and more than a week!

Cheers!
B
Old 23-02-2014, 16:56   #15

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Sorry, but a Westsail 32 is not for this farmily.
Not when they are talking about big furry hot animals, and wardrobe accommodations and comforts for professionals are needed and for showering accommodations. And pilot house.

Not one bit!
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water