Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2010, 19:22   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
A nice Black Labrador would work pretty well, IMO. Not to many people are keen to confront a 90 lb barking dog. Unless they are familiar with how Labs are just big lovable babies...

zzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 22:14   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Gippsland Australia
Boat: Sebita 20 currently named Skeo
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Anyone familiar with Hong Kong will know that every apartment has a S/S security door - the cost of which is very cheap for this mass market. I have a combination of three elements all in S/S - a security grill, a mosquito screen and a 16mm acrylic weather panel - all slide up lifted by solenoid operated pneumatic rams. Was not done for Hong Kong which has to be one of the world's safest places but for ports further afield.

Would be interested in photos of your grill if you could post some. This sort of thing appeals to me particularly the mosquito screen / weather panel arrangement.


Ian McLaren
Gippsland Victoria Australia
Seabita 20 NG515 'Godzown'
iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 22:33   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Originally Posted by Preposterous View Post

It appears that the whole "I wonder what's in that deep dark hole" might be the best deterrent for hatches, while something like what MarkJ posted (a secure, yet warming set of security bars), might be the ticket.
Using suitably luminescent paint put this on the floor under the hatch...

Maybe add a blood curdling scream with a laser trigger...

Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 00:35   #19
Registered User
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,077
Don't want to stay where I'd need to be imprisoned

Whether it is in west Oakland (CA) or Costa Rica where people need to imprison themselves behind bars for protection or to safeguard their possessions, I don't want to stay in such places.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 00:58   #20
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'
Palarran's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Me - Michigan / Boat - Greece
Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Posts: 2,378
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Not needed in 99% of the harbors, but if it makes you feel better the other 1% go for it.
So, if you visit 100 harbors, your going to get robbed. I am hearing a lot about crime in the Caribbean and know for a fact that it is ramped in St. Maarten/Martin. Two weeks ago armed robbers held up a small restaurant in Oyster Pond. There have been numerous murders and muggings, some serious rapes, and all sorts of petty theft.

So, I know that when I have my family on board, even if there is only a 1% chance, I need security like this. Though I personally think a single thick bar going across the hatch would work to keep any person from entering.

Not all who wander are lost
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Security While Away from Your Boat betachz Liveaboard's Forum 108 15-10-2010 04:31
All Chain Rode . . . Overkill ? RSMacG Anchoring & Mooring 56 25-09-2010 15:33
Overkill, or Not? DRSandbo Anchoring & Mooring 13 22-09-2009 09:16
Overkill csiunatc Construction, Maintenance & Refit 23 06-09-2008 11:50

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:16.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.