Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2016, 19:49   #436

Boat: O38 & J24
Re: Richardson Bay liveaboards, heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy Shack View Post
This is merely an initial step in the process. As I've written before...if something is not sustainable, it won't be sustained.
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 15:53   #437

Quote:
are not included or qualified for section 8 housing.
we have at least five section 8 people living on their boats in this town. At one point one of them had a couple of boats and a commercial salmon fishing permit worth tens of thousands of dollars. They made him give that up though, and I don't know about the 'couple of boats'. I saw his commercial vessel, which was a 26' sailboat that he intended to .... do something with.

That guy was a really high-speed welfare dude, had his apartment and a 30+ something sailboat. But you gotta realize, without jobs these guys wheel and deal and who knows what. Others, not so much. One guy, they (social services) must be glad he lives on a boat. When he is done, all they have to do is drag the 26' powerboat to the dump and crush it. No expensive apartment rehabilitation / reconstruction to pay for ! And they say he seems calmer on his boat, less involvement with police.

There are others, but it seems they have to get approval from their case workers. They can pay rent, but can't buy a boat I think. So of course they make deals with the boat's owners and these boats aren't worth anything in the first place. They are the junk that the taxpayer is going to have to fund the cleanup of in the end. And I'm not kidding, literally tens of thousands each year to dispose of abandoned boats in this harbor.

The dump gets a couple grand each boat, and the guys with the little tugboat gets a couple grand to move them around. And it's a total scam because the guy with the tugboat is the one fixing up these junk boats and moving people onto them. And then in a couple years when the city evicts the derelicts, he gets money for the boat he brought in a couple years ago !

Guy belongs to a weird church or something, always talking about how 'Cthulhu wishes kindness upon the less fortunate' or some crap. Why am I writing this ?
robert644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 17:34   #438
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy Shack View Post

It's also rumored the marina does not have an operating permit and BCDC has been trying to shut it done since almost 100% of the boats are liveaboards (violating BCDC's 10% rule).
I would think that's 100%, no operating permit. Many marinas were in place before BCDC existed (um, BCDC came into being in the early 70's) and of course didn't have operating permits. I recently learned from a marina owner that no marina owner in their right mind would put themselves in the position of having to GET and comply with a BCDC operating permit if they didn't already have one. Thus--stalemate between a marina owner who wishes to expand and the BCDC who won't approve expansion without a very onerous operating permit that has way too many clauses in it (beyond the 10% LA issue) for any marina to operate profitably.

So, probably not a rumor and I wouldn't think poorly of the marina for not having an operating permit given the BCDC gestapo-like behavior.
Old 06-03-2016, 17:41   #439
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert644 View Post
Why am I writing this ?
Because it's like an alternative reality out there in Richardson Bay.

You have to see/experience it to believe it -- scams and scammers unfortunately do find their way into the boating scene far to easily. Whether wealthy ones with megayachts in the Caribbean or no-job ones squatting on hunks of junk at anchor in Richardson Bay, there simply are an amazing number of scammers on the water.

That gets us back to the reason for this thread in the first place -- what was it?
Old 06-03-2016, 18:27   #440

Boat: Formosa 41

I think Robert644 wrote what he did to illustrate that all the laws in the world can be circumvented by creative people who will find a loophole through them.

Laws don't work well to change behavior.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:14   #441

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert644 View Post
we have at least five section 8 people living on their boats in this town. At one point one of them had a couple of boats and a commercial salmon fishing permit worth tens of thousands of dollars. They made him give that up though, and I don't know about the 'couple of boats'. I saw his commercial vessel, which was a 26' sailboat that he intended to .... do something with.

That guy was a really high-speed welfare dude, had his apartment and a 30+ something sailboat. But you gotta realize, without jobs these guys wheel and deal and who knows what. Others, not so much. One guy, they (social services) must be glad he lives on a boat. When he is done, all they have to do is drag the 26' powerboat to the dump and crush it. No expensive apartment rehabilitation / reconstruction to pay for ! And they say he seems calmer on his boat, less involvement with police.

There are others, but it seems they have to get approval from their case workers. They can pay rent, but can't buy a boat I think. So of course they make deals with the boat's owners and these boats aren't worth anything in the first place. They are the junk that the taxpayer is going to have to fund the cleanup of in the end. And I'm not kidding, literally tens of thousands each year to dispose of abandoned boats in this harbor.

The dump gets a couple grand each boat, and the guys with the little tugboat gets a couple grand to move them around. And it's a total scam because the guy with the tugboat is the one fixing up these junk boats and moving people onto them. And then in a couple years when the city evicts the derelicts, he gets money for the boat he brought in a couple years ago !

Guy belongs to a weird church or something, always talking about how 'Cthulhu wishes kindness upon the less fortunate' or some crap. Why am I writing this ?
A diver told me a couple of days ago he, and three others own ten boats EACH, stored in the Bay on his "two point mooring systems". I wasn't expecting to hear anyone admit this, so the names went by before he got to the punch line and got my attention. The names I heard were already suspects in my files, so no surprise. Ask yourself. If you can no longer afford, or simply have no interest in owning a boat any more are you going to go to the trouble moving the boat to Richardson Bay in the middle of the night to 'dump it'? Nah. Don't think so. So, someone like your tug boat operator who stands to profit is doing it. Or, the guys with 10 boats each on unauthorized moorings. It's the greedy scumbags that are pushing Richardson Bay toward oblivion.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:55   #442
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
A diver told me a couple of days ago he, and three others own ten boats EACH, stored in the Bay on his "two point mooring systems".
Gosh, that doesn't sound unlikely at all. Especially considering your hard-on for hull cleaners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
I wasn't expecting to hear anyone admit this, so the names went by before he got to the punch line...
Yes, of course. How surprising that you toss out a damning accusation that absolutely supports your argument, yet you conveniently can't identify your source, preventing anybody from verifying your ridiculous claim.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 16:21   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Gosh, that doesn't sound unlikely at all. Especially considering your hard-on for hull cleaners.
Well, have I got something for you to ponder. Read on.

Quote:
Yes, of course. How surprising that you toss out a damning accusation that absolutely supports your argument, yet you conveniently can't identify your source, preventing anybody from verifying your ridiculous claim.
Chew on this. Then, if it suits you tell all of the world who the statement quoted here belongs to. C'mon, you're man enough, aren't you?

"There exist in Richardson Bay already over 100 snag lines. i.e. two point anchoring system. I have set or inspected close to 50 moorings with this type arrangement."
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 16:49   #444

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

An overnight stay at dock in Sausolito is fine with me. Otherwise, I'm out of here.

Anchored derelicts are out of sight to port (east/left when going southwest).
Old 15-03-2016, 06:49   #445
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
Because it's like an alternative reality out there in Richardson Bay.

You have to see/experience it to believe it -- scams and scammers unfortunately do find their way into the boating scene far to easily. Whether wealthy ones with megayachts in the Caribbean or no-job ones squatting on hunks of junk at anchor in Richardson Bay, there simply are an amazing number of scammers on the water.

That gets us back to the reason for this thread in the first place -- what was it?
LMAO...all part of "Boat people culture" IMO...

Haven't experienced living on water in Bay Area yet, lived on shore but not on water there. People there steered me straight telling me to try being a boat person in florida specifically the keys...couldn't imagine being a green horn on pacific coast.

But back to boat people culture, in boot key harbor, marathon florida has all the same act just different players hahaha, got those same "salvage" guys who take possession of derelict hulks and sell them to people who are desperate, don't know better. Funny how they play both sides the fence and always have an angle LOL.

Boat people in general have an angle I've come to expect...one big thing I've learned in my first two years being a boat person, be open minded, trust few, be vigilant, don't share too much as boat people will mistake your kindness/generosity for weakness and try to take you...

I'm fast growing the new school of S.F. Mentality of "get some money or get out" among boat people, if someone can't afford to be among/around the area they're trying to survive in/at...steer clear and distance them from you...

Too bad they can't do a mooring field system with legit come ashore facilities sadly, Marin County would make out like bandits with cruisers I'd think...but then when you have those abilities like the other posted commented, people look to cheat the system or exploit the system like in city marina marathon, using shop space not to work on personal gear but as a place to make a dollar and this others don't have space cuz someone is making a dollar in the space...or better yet renting boats out on airbnb to people who have no seamanship or ever been on a boat, now the dink dock has inexperienced people who have no respect for others, the showers are full cuz someone key swiped 5 showers for their clients (note not guests) it's funny watching these tourists post pics on FB saying they're "camping on a boat"???

Obviously the dock masters are in on the scams getting their kickbacks as they treat some special and try to run off others LOL.

Yes, boat people culture and the liveaboards outside the marinas...wish there was more threads about more popular cruising places like a program one could get the inside word before coming into those ports/anchorages..
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 07:03   #446
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

No...boat people are fine, it's the type of people pontificating in this thread that scare me more than someone without much income living on a boat.

Lets just swap the word "boat people" with any racial slur for example in the above diatribe and you will see just how ridiculous this has become....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 07:43   #447

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I hear you Rich, I'm one of those living on a boat without much income. Very content and a problem for nobody, in my opinion.

Back at the last anchorage I was ashore visiting with a local friend on his back patio. His neighbor happened by and my friend introduced me saying, "Hey, this is Greg, he lives on a sailboat out in the bay". His neighbor looked down his nose at me and replied, "Oh, you're one of "those" people.

I just smiled and said, "Well, I guess from way up there I appear to be."
Old 15-03-2016, 08:01   #448
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
No...boat people are fine, it's the type of people pontificating in this thread that scare me more than someone without much income living on a boat.

Lets just swap the word "boat people" with any racial slur for example in the above diatribe and you will see just how ridiculous this has become....
...LOL, you're funny...as well as defensive I see hahaha, sorry i struck a nerve there but that's your identity you created for yourself and your problem as a whole in regards to "boat people culture"..I see you're selling something like a lot of boat people and what I explained so no wonder you got defensive...keep trying to minimize those who aren't profitable to your schemes..so transparent! SMH..fun watching defensive people try to save face when outed.
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:06   #449

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post
...LOL, you're funny...as well as defensive I see hahaha, sorry i struck a nerve there but that's your identity you created for yourself and your problem as a whole in regards to "boat people culture"..I see you're selling something like a lot of boat people and what I explained so no wonder you got defensive...keep trying to minimize those who aren't profitable to your schemes..so transparent! SMH..fun watching defensive people try to save face when outed.
And what will you say of me, and all the other knowledgeable people sitting here, reading your ignorant and bigotted rubish?
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:38   #450
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post

Funny?
What is funny is that I'm in the 1% of income earners (you know that evil 1%) yet in all your rush to ignorant judgement, you ASSume I have created some identity for myself and actually take offense and get defensive when some bozo on the internet chat room opens mouth and inserts foot.

Amigo, you just made yourself the fool for all to see.
Nicely done in a few dozen posts on Cruisers Forum...everyone needs a dream, but bro...aim a little higher next time.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, liveaboard