Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2014, 14:38   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423
PODS Storage

Does anyone have experience using PODs for storage? We will be moving onto our sailboat for extended cruising this May and will require a storage unit. Thanks in advance for any information.
gcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 05:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: PODS Storage

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, gcolema.
Where would you store the pod?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 06:20   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

We found that a local Transfer and Storage company was much cheaper than PODS. I think PODS is more oriented to people who have a temporary need to store, rather than a multi-year requirement.
Old 28-12-2014, 06:37   #4

From what I read on another forum, PODS doesn't have enough tie downs and it's hard to safely pack your belongings. We were planning to move and I asked the same question there as you did here and was advised to use U-Pack or Mobile Attic over PODS.
Old 28-12-2014, 06:53   #5

Boat: Various

As he stated PODS are really designed for temporary storage. However, so are local Transfer and Storage companies. For a few months, they're fine but very few of them I'd feel comfortable using longer and not worrying about damage. Of course part of the question is what are you storing.

Storage units give you the most control. If storing furniture for a long time, I'd shrink wrap it. If books and papers, don't expect them to hold up well unless climate controlled. I would store them in metal filing cabinets. If art or antiquities or collectibles, I'd bubble wrap them.

I know what I've outlined is a lot of work, but if the items don't justify that work, then they may well not justify being stored. I guess that's my question of what you're storing and why?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 14:09   #6

Thank you for the replies! Very helpful. We are currently in Milwaukee and our boat is in Stamford, CT. I had been thinking PODs would be good because they could eventually deliver our things to us wherever we end up (not Milwaukee), but had not thought about the POD being moved about in the interim. We thought about getting rid of everything, but have some nice furniture and art work, personal effects, etc...just not ready for such a stringent purging. It has been the subject of a few spirited conversations. I think we have decided to go with a climate controlled storage in State College, PA which is on our way to the boat., near family, and closer to where we may end up in a few years.
Old 28-12-2014, 14:27   #7

Boat: 1972 Gulfstar 36' Motorsailer

Hi! My husband and I moved aboard our sailboat in October with plans to cruise for a few years. We moved from a 4,000 sq. ft. home onto a 36 ft. Sailboat. We moved our "thought we needed to keep stuff" into a small storage room. We asked our son's to take whatever they wanted/needed from the house. We stored paintings, photos at a family home. We now realize that our "stuff" in storage is really no longer needed and gave much of it away. What a great feeling to be free from "stuff"! No worries about storage fees and how to move it all again. Happy Sailing :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Jeraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 14:28   #8

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

If you have a place to store the storage unit consider buying a used trailer. Then YOU can move it when and where. We have done just that, buying a 7X12 trailer that we will use to store the minimal stuff left after our huge shedding of 30 years accumulation. We have family and property in northern Wisconsin (Door County) where we will store the trailer inside one of the out buildings. You could also consider one of the storage places where you can store trailers outside. I haven't priced that out, tho.

Welcome to CF. We cruise upper Lake Michigan and Green Bay on the family Pearson Triton. Currently restoring a 47' Ketch which we will use for more extensive cruising once we are retired.

Good luck to you!
Old 28-12-2014, 14:44   #9

Ah we are just a few months behind you! Leaving a two bedroom condo for a 42 ft sailboat. Last day of work March 29th and we will be moving aboard in April and May. But I really don't want to bring stuff to the boat, I envision a clean new start. But my husband is more sentimental and I am afraid we have to at least start with a small storage unit. Our kids have taken what they want, I've converted the photos to digital, I plan to give away a lot of stuff but there are some things...I guess it all depends on how long we will be cruising, but that is an unanswerable question at this point. BTW, my mother and sister live in Gulf Shores, lovely area. Where are you in Alabama?
Old 28-12-2014, 14:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
If you have a place to store the storage unit consider buying a used trailer. Then YOU can move it when and where. We have done just that, buying a 7X12 trailer that we will use to store the minimal stuff left after our huge shedding of 30 years accumulation. We have family and property in northern Wisconsin (Door County) where we will store the trailer inside one of the out buildings. You could also consider one of the storage places where you can store trailers outside. I haven't priced that out, tho.

Welcome to CF. We cruise upper Lake Michigan and Green Bay on the family Pearson Triton. Currently restoring a 47' Ketch which we will use for more extensive cruising once we are retired.

Good luck to you!
Thank you for your reply! We love Door County and Green Bay. We spent many happy days boating up there in our 25 ft SeaRay. I don't think we plan to return to the Great Lakes our first year cruising but probably the second. We trailered the SeaRay up to the Apostle Islands in August, so beautiful. We are sad to sell the SeaRay but excited to start our new life. Good Luck to you!
Old 28-12-2014, 15:05   #11

We are in Northern Alabama

Old 28-12-2014, 15:14   #12

Boat: Monk 36

Cheesehead here, living in exile.
I have several 20' used storage containers that I keep work related stuff in. If you know someplace you can park it, they can be had at a reasonable price. I paid $2500 each, and they are water tight. I checked them out during a rainstorm.
Available all around the country.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 15:44   #13

Great idea!!!

Old 28-12-2014, 17:32   #14

If you have a place for it a used sea container is only 3500 and you can store nearly a whole house worth of stuff in it. You can search on craigslist for them. Otherwise I suggest a public storage unit in climate controlled building. Have had bad luck with PODS getting moved around and stuff getting banged up. Plus they are not all that sturdy.
ikold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 17:33   #15

Boat: Monk 36

I should have specified shipping container.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage