Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2010, 15:14   #16

Cherise hit it on the head.. Most of my friends have their yachts in the Sausalito or up further up and over in the bay... Good luck and let us know how it turns out
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 16:13   #17

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
SF Bay:
The opening to the sea is, of course, the Golden Gate. When the temp's in the central valley of Sacramento rise, they create huge up drafts. The displaced air is replaced by wind currents that sweep in from the sea draging the marine layer of clouds thru what local sailors call the "slot". This is what causes fog in SF, and generates the 25 knot winds most afternoons. Cold clammy conditions are the norm for the Bay north of the Bay Bridge while the sunshines to the south of the bridge.
The marinas of Brisbane and South San Francisco are influnced by winds that sweep around the south side of San Bruno. Jets takeoff from SFO at a rate of one a minute and at these marinas in this local, conversations must be suspended while tha jets pass over head. When I lived at one of these marinas, I'd wait until after dark to return to my slip so I wouldn't be required to make a 90* turn from the fairway to my slip in the 25 to 30 knot afternoon breeze. Nightfall brought calm condidtions.

Pier 39 is on pilings close to the tideal race known as the entrance to the Bay. At the Gate the yearly tidal range is eight feet, the max current is a bit over 4 knots for either the two flood cycles or the two ebb cycles each day. Conditions have not improved in the short distance to Pier 39. That's quite a bit of water sluicing back and forth.

Consider the marinas in Alamada. Great weather, a delightful island and a short ferryboat ride to downtown San Francisco.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 18:56   #18
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Pier 39 is a depressing place. Don't really know why, it just is.

The sealions are gone... Famous San Francisco Sea Lions Abandon Their Pier 39 Post | Wired Science | Wired.com
or not....
Pier 39, hundreds of sea lions mark 20 years - SFGate

I think for easy access to the city down the peninsula is the way to go. Brisbane, Oyster Cove, Oyster Point, Coyote Point, Redwood City, Pete's Harbour.

The further south the nicer the weather in general. No bridge toll. Given 6 bucks a trip that can become a big expense really fast. Many of the marinas are in walking or biking distance of caltrans for fast transit into the city.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 11:19   #19

Boat: Beneteau 393/2
Yesterday I was walking down by the ballpark and ran across Mission Creek Harbor. Does anyone have inside information about this small dock? I would like to find a sublet there for a month or two.
Kirbmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 11:36   #20

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Start at the Third St bridge and walk south along the shore. You'll find several boat clubs and boat yards. Ask around. At night some of the clubs turn into private bars, but you can just walk in and introduce yourself. Good luck.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 12:16   #21

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
The shoreline area between the ballpark and Hunters Point should be entered with extreme caution, especially after dark. Foot traffic is not a safe option.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 21:07   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 sloop
I found liveaboad at Ballena Isle just last weekend, but it was also recommended to me to try China Basin. Have you given them a call?
Old 21-09-2019, 22:21   #23
Cr8

Re: Pier 39, San Francisco, as a Liveaboard Marina - Thoughts ?

Hi All!
First post ツ
I'm in the same situation. I work downtown. So tired of paying so much for rent and I'm a single guy who's flexible and wanting to try boat life.

I was thinking Pier 39 for the 3 nights a week it sounded like they'd let me do (weekends) and during the week a van since I'm mostly working and the van would allow me to go on adventurous trips to the slopes and other places.

Because of the new ballpark, the only slips that there are not a waiting list for our at Pier 39. There is a waiting list for a liver board but it sounded like after some time (years?), if you prove to be a good member of the community and marina, You might be able to be approved for a live aboard status, though the wait list is quite long.

I would really prefer to be in the city. Brisbane looks Ok, And only a 20 minute drive, but then I’d still have to find a parking place for whatever I’m driving. They also allow live aboard but only after six months weight, and you can’t exceed three nights a week there or you won’t be able to get live aboard.

As this was abnokd thread, I was curious if there were any more recent experiences or suggestions?

Aloha!
Cr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 00:58   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Re: Pier 39, San Francisco, as a Liveaboard Marina - Thoughts ?

https://ibb.co/8DKd9nw
Noise!
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, san francisco