Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2010, 15:19   #1

Pier 39, San Francisco, as a Liveaboard Marina - Thoughts ?

HAS ANYONE EITHER KEPT A BOAT OR LIVED AT PIER 39 MARINA IN SAN FRANCISCO. I PUT MY NAME DOWN FOR A SLIP AS IT IS THE ONLY MARINA IN THE CITY THAT ALLOWS LIVABOARDS. ANY OPINIONS??
dniello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 15:26   #2

It looks like you roll around quiet a bit, but if anyone has stayed there I would love yo hear from you.
Old 19-02-2010, 16:46   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
the first time I spent the night there was the last. extremely rolly. and then there's the whole barking sea lion phenomenon. no thanks.
Old 19-02-2010, 17:06   #4

i currently keep my boat at pier 39 and let me tell you it is rough. The surface may look calm but the swell rocks boats hard enough to break cleats and the dock it self. My neighbors had to put their boats bow to stern because their mast heads were hitting! The swell makes it very hard to work on the boat, simple tasks become tiring, it is like being at sea. That said there are several live aboards in the marina and the location is awsome, though Fisherman's Wharf is disgusting and the tourist while important to the city are a pain in the butt.
fullkeel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 10:39   #5

Boat: pilot cutter
Not to mention that one pays dearly $$$$ for the experience.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 22:58   #6

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large
been there overnight on a boat...TOOOOOO cold, one of the first places in the city to get socked in with fog. It is smelly and a total pain in the arse to park in the area. I wouldn't....San Rafael Lock Lomond is a good spot, marina bay for cheapest best proximity, Vallejo YC for warmer waters (easy bay and delta day cruises and Napa river).
South beach Is THE BEST! BUT good luck on a liveaboard. Last Summer I could barely get on the sub let list! you get to move your boat around the harbor until you get kicked out finally or a slip opens (which is tough...but times are a changing). If you need to be near the city consider Sausalito?
I used to live in SFO and when SFO was fogged in, especially the odd Summer weather (fall is warmer and clearer for SF proper it seems) you drive over the goldden gate...still barely seeing the car ahead of you, go through the tunnel and BAM you open up to Saulalito and it's little micro climate of partly couldy skies, warmer temps and softer winds....if you can afford it and not be stuck on living in the city GO THERE man!
Cherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 05:27   #7

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
If you do not need to be downtown for work there are many other locations in the bay area that have better weather like the delta, east bay or down towards San Jose. We were in the garden design business and SF has its own microclimate, lots of plants just won't grow there that do fine 10 miles away.
That said, SF is heaven on earth.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 05:41   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I was just out in Dec. looking for a slip. San Leandro is close to BART, and will accommodate you. The problem there is the channel has some restrictions for now if you have a deep draft. The farther up the delta you go the easier finding a liveaboard..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 07:18   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41
You can also look at Brisbane Marina and Coyote Point.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 07:43   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Pier 39 is a depressing place. Don't really know why, it just is.

The sealions are gone... http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...ing-sea-lions/

There are better and less expensive places in the SF Bay Area. A nice microclimate usually away from the SF fog is Oakland, Alameda and San Leandro.

Cherise summed it up very well.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 08:14   #11

Appreciate the advice, but being in SF is a must for me and I work downtown. Any other ideas from people as far as other marinas in the city? Or thoughts on pier 39?
Old 16-03-2010, 08:52   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Richmond

I have spent a few nights at Pier 39. It is cold, windy, lots of surge and there is no parking.
In my humble opinion the best marina in San Francisco Bay is Marina Bay in Richmond. The slips are cheap. The facilities are great (concrete docks, single load slips, dock boxes, clean showers, lots of parking and green-space). Live-aboards are no problem and it is only three miles to Angel Island and Racoon Straight.
Big bonus is that it is very often sunny there when the rest of the bay is fogged in.
People who keep their boats there call it the Richmond Riviera.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 08:53   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
You can always ride BART
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 09:12   #14

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
There are a couple of boat clubs just south of the ballpark off third st that maintain docks for their members and an outrageous drinking and social scene you might enjoy. The new third st trolley will have you downtown in 10 minutes. Of course you will have to join the club and your life may spiral off in god knows what direction. Every thing loose rolls west and SF is right at the edge.PM me if you need a personal reference.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 13:44   #15

Boat: Beneteau 393/2
Hi dniello I'm curious as to where you ended up? I'm in a similar situation. I'm planning on living on my boat for the next 3 months and am looking for options other than pier 39.
Kirbmart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, san francisco