Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2013, 16:46   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Perfect Day!

Nancie and I spend a lot of time trying to get some place, but our favorite sailing days are times out when we come back to where we start. We headed out from Solomons on the Patuxent River and sailed toward the Eastern Shore with no purpose other than to sail about! Today was the "perfect day"! We hit 8.7 kts headed across the bay and then turned to head up the Paxtuxent past Point Pleasant. We worked our way tacking up the river with a moment of concern as we headed for the 2 foot depth without the momentum to do anything but gybe the long way around. We worked hard at 2 knots and finally headed back at a meager 1.7 wing and wing in light wind against the current until the rain set in and we decided to motor back to the slip. A day out with friends and all the conditions is what we enjoy best. Our best days have always been out with a little wine and cheese with no purpose to be any place at any time. A Perfect Day!
Old 24-08-2013, 17:12   #2

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie
Ditto

Set sail about 9am, coffee in hand
15 knt winds, perfect...
Sailed 21 miles, anchored, swam a bit, fired up the Barbie
Sailed 17 miles, had a couple grog @ an early happy hr, swam a bit
Now back in port, Barbie fired up on land, pain killer & sunset
THIS is why I sail...
Old 24-08-2013, 18:24   #3

Boat: Beneteau 473
We had a perfect day going today, sailing from Bequia to Carriacou (16t knots on a beam reach making 8.5 knots) until a squall popped up. I broke a block trying to reef the main. And then our windless pooped out after trying to set three times. Luckily there were mooring balls nearby!

Note to self, do not underestimate the power of an electric winch! I don't know how it happened but the reefing line got in between the block and the outside part that was suppose to keep it in the bock. Now I get to buy a new block and at least 150' of line. I learned to only use the manual winch when reefing today!

For the windless, I'm not sure what I learned -- we recently replaced the galvanized chain with stainless chain. The stainless seems more slippery and would occasionally slip in the gypsy, but it did not seem to be a major problem -- more analysis is required.

But we are moored in paradise, what better place to solve problems.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 19:06   #4

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
We had a perfect day going today, sailing from Bequia to Carriacou (16t knots on a beam reach making 8.5 knots) until a squall popped up. I broke a block trying to reef the main. And then our windless pooped out after trying to set three times. Luckily there were mooring balls nearby!

Note to self, do not underestimate the power of an electric winch! I don't know how it happened but the reefing line got in between the block and the outside part that was suppose to keep it in the bock. Now I get to buy a new block and at least 150' of line. I learned to only use the manual winch when reefing today!

For the windless, I'm not sure what I learned -- we recently replaced the galvanized chain with stainless chain. The stainless seems more slippery and would occasionally slip in the gypsy, but it did not seem to be a major problem -- more analysis is required.

But we are moored in paradise, what better place to solve problems.
Oh I forgot to mention our whisker pole fell out of it's car/mounting. The only thing that saved it from doing serious damage to our hull was that I didn't trust the mounting at the bottom and put a Velcro strap around the mast and the whisker pole. It gave the hubby and I just enough time to get on deck and keep it from going over the side and creating even more havoc.

All in a day's work! I would like a little less work -- and to have a discussion with the rigger in PR!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote