Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2013, 17:33   #541

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

[QUOTE=goboatingnow;1344173]
Quote:
I am not arguing the illegality of stealing , merely pointing out that stealing coffee and Nutella might be evidence of some desperation.
Merely pointing out that which has been obvious from early on. Let's speculate further into mental illness shall we? NO. let's not OK?
Quote:
" overstaying their welcome" I don't beleive they were invited. Are they abiding by the law
That has never been denied.
Quote:
If yes then not much you can do
. No ****? Really?
Quote:
Of not then apply the sanctions.
N/A
Quote:
Funny how no law enforcement has acted.
There has been a little but then again, you came in in the middle and have not gone to links etc. So you may no know.
Quote:
That's very unusual in my experience in the US. Its one of the most active policed states I've ever lived in.
Well, that is interesting. Not me.

Quote:
Must be some reason no ones acted
Because it IS LEGAL. But you don't get it still.

Over and out.
Old 19-09-2013, 17:33   #542

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Um, someone who owns a boat has something, a boat.
That is more than a lot of other poor people.

I think it is important to allow people to live on their boats and anchoring should be free.
But I don't get what is so hard to understand about moving along. The city built a marina, development happens. A forward looking city often places 'low-rent' percentage as part of development rights. Who built the guest dock there? Maybe they should be a bigger one?

If the boat is broken, fix it or move it somewhere else.
If a car breaks down in front of my house, I don't say oh well, just stay there for 10 years, no problem. It is always the abusers that get laws created,
and laws are always imperfect, eg 10 days limit when it takes 30 days to get a new part delivered, now you are breaking the law.
Old 19-09-2013, 17:37   #543
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post

I think it is important to allow people to live on their boats and anchoring should be free.
But I don't get what is so hard to understand about moving along. The city built a marina, development happens. A forward looking city often places 'low-rent' percentage as part of development rights. Who built the guest dock there? Maybe they should be a bigger one?

If the boat is broken, fix it or move it somewhere else.
If a car breaks down in front of my house, I don't say oh well, just stay there for 10 years, no problem. It is always the abusers that get laws created,
and laws are always imperfect, eg 10 days limit when it takes 30 days to get a new part delivered, now you are breaking the law.
If a car breaks down on the public highway in front of your house , YOU can't do anything about it. Unless the laws allow you to.
Normally local ordinances allow the authorities remove such cars.

In this case that hasn't happened and there nothing YOU can do.

Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 17:38   #544
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Because it IS LEGAL. But you don't get it still.

Oh I get it just fine Tks

The vagrants should have the decency to tug their forelocks, express an apology for blocking m'luds views and just push off quietly to some other dumping ground

No you don't get it. You really think these people feel an obligation to a world like they have found themselves in , really , seriously

Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 17:47   #545

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Oh I get it just fine Tks

The vagrants should have the decency to tug their forelocks, express an apology for blocking m'luds views and just push off quietly to some other dumping ground

No you don't get it. You really think these people feel an obligation to a world like they have found themselves in , really , seriously

Dave
and thus the public outcry and "pressure to move on" legal or not...because these people DON'T seem to feel an obligation to anyone at all....
Old 19-09-2013, 17:55   #546
cruiser

Quote:
16 years of Republician governors gets you !!

Dave
Dave, you really need to do some homework before you make ridiculous comments. We have a democrat governor and have had a democrat controlled state senate and house in Massachusetts for over 60 years.
Old 19-09-2013, 18:12   #547
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Dave, you really need to do some homework before you make ridiculous comments. We have a democrat governor and have had a democrat controlled state senate and house in Massachusetts for over 60 years.
Yes correct me of I'm wrong , from memory , before the current democratic gov you had four republican governors ending in the bold Mitt, who I beleive adopted very liberal policies. I lived there when Dukakis was governor I never mentioned the state senate or house. ( which I'm well aware of is demrocratic , just buzzing you )

I don't think you can blame the incumbent for everything lol.

Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 18:40   #548
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
And I thank my lucky start every day, that I purchased a sailboat when I could afford it. Without it I would really be up the creek, er, as it were.

But I don't really consider myself poor even though most folks would say that I am. My back yard is to die for and I've not had a utility bill in many years.

Oddly enough I do agree that it's best when/if folks move along. Just that for some, for whatever reason, they don't have the wherewithall to do so.
Old 19-09-2013, 19:43   #549

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
ROFLMAO. Your funny....

Go ahead and do that now. There are no laws being broken by the three boats in question. Well maybe with the frenchy and the visa thing. But as they are not Hispanic, its probably a non-issue to INS.

Let me know how that works for ya...

The word that occurred to me isn't 'nice', so instead I'll just state the people needed the least by the boating community are those who try to use publicity and motivate public agencies to intervene on their behalf. A certain road to formal anchoring restrictions. You will obtain an outcome you will regret.
Old 19-09-2013, 19:55   #550
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post

The word that occurred to me isn't 'nice', so instead I'll just state the people needed the least by the boating community are those who try to use publicity and motivate public agencies to intervene on their behalf. A certain road to formal anchoring restrictions. You will obtain an outcome you will regret.
Now that as a view I can agree on. However it unfortunately it is the only way , when a " right" meets a " resistance" someone has to rule.

Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 21:22   #551

Quote:
Now that as a view I can agree on. However it unfortunately it is the only way , when a " right" meets a " resistance" someone has to rule.

Dave
That depends upon the right in question and type of resistance. One size does not fit all.

What's missing in this conversation are references to federal, state and local laws presumed to permit municipal enforcement against, and or to create restrictions upon boaters activities. As some have aptly pointed out, laws are promulgated to control peoples behaviour. If no law relating to a particular action or behaviour exists, said action and or behaviour is presumed to be legal. It makes no difference whether the action or behaviour is performed by a rich or poor, male or female, pink or orange person.

So, here we have a situation where boat owners aren't doing anything controlled or prohibited by law.

Case closed. No matter who you are, if you don't approve of perfectly legal behaviour, you cannot do anything of a legal nature to alter or prevent it. Even if 'it' is not a 'right'. This does not of course preclude appealing to public opinion or engaging in a campaign to create ordinances designed to prohibit a public nuisance, behaviour or activity.

Problem is, once you embark down that slippery slope you hazard losing control over the scope of the ordinance - which often ends up a more draconian measure than you ever believed possible. You end up affecting not only others but yourself. It always seems easier for legislators to enact laws that restrict everyone rather than to enact laws to achieve a limited desired result. Control only those who were the source of your discontent.
Old 19-09-2013, 23:18   #552

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The patrol boat shouted I was "illegally anchored" near the Suisun Bay reserve fleet a couple of Christmas Eves ago. Regulations say anchoring is prohibited within 300 feet of the ships. I was at least 800 feet away. Apparently, the security people interpret one can't anchor anywhere between shore and the fleet. Subsequent inquiry with the U.S. government was not acknowledged or responded. Regardless, I moved a couple of miles east to anchor.

Old 20-09-2013, 00:15   #553

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The patrol boat shouted I was "illegally anchored" near the Suisun Bay reserve fleet a couple of Christmas Eves ago. Regulations say anchoring is prohibited within 300 feet of the ships. I was at least 800 feet away. Apparently, the security people interpret one can't anchor anywhere between shore and the fleet. Subsequent inquiry with the U.S. government was not acknowledged or responded. Regardless, I moved a couple of miles east to anchor.

The distance is 500ft. I quote directly from the regulations (marine reserve fleet 162.170)

(b) No vessels or other watercraft, ex-
cept those owned or controlled by the
United States Government, shall cruise
or anchor between Reserve Fleet units
within 500 feet of the end vessels in
each Reserve Fleet unit, or within 500
feet of the extreme units of the fleets,
unless specific permission to do so has
first been granted in each case by the
enforcing agency.
Old 20-09-2013, 00:26   #554

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

That's a change. Regardless, according to my first-grade teacher, 500 is less than 800.
Old 20-09-2013, 00:29   #555

Quite true... and I would have told them to either go away, or show me the relevant regulation.
Closed Thread