Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 09:54   #1

New owners

Hi All,
My wife (Julie) and I have just brought our very first boat, a 39 ft sailing boat which we intend to live on from Jan 2018. I'm a lorry driver and will continue to work when we move to Ipswich. Our main reason for moving aboard is to reduce our overheads, we have been renting for the past 10 years and can't seem to get out of the "work to pay the bills" mode. We are going to be in a marina to start with (until winter passes) and then intend to move around a bit (maybe)
We are complete newbies to sailing and will take RYA courses to learn the basics and venture out more and more as confidence grows. My question is "what would be the cost of either someone moving our new home" At the moment it is on the Hamble and we want to move her about 190nm to Ipswich, in December. Or is there anyone out there willing to help? for a large bottle of rum Ha! The move would be just myself and maybe a friend coming a long for the adventure. If someone could point me in the right direction for help or a guestimate of the cost that would be great.
Thanks
Madhatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:15   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: New owners

Hi Madhatta. Congratulations on the boat purchase. What kind of boat did you end up with?

Costs. Perhaps you'll hear from one of the professional delivery guys on the forum but if I recall, the pros charge minimum US$100-$200 per day plus expenses.

I think your best bet, that is the least expensive bet, would be to look for someone local that will give you a hand. Do take extra care if you follow this option to make sure you don't pick up an incompetent that could lead you astray. That of course would apply to a professional captain as well but that route you would probably have references to check, insurance, etc.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:22   #3

Thanks, I'll keep a good look-out when moving her (Custom built Tandem 39).
Madhatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 04:13   #4

Boat: Halmatic 30

Might be worth your while posting on the YBW forums, as they are more UK-Centric.

Good luck with the new boat!
SteveSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 14:27   #5

Boat: vagabond 41
Send a message via AIM to vagrant

I'm 9miles from Ipswich and a delivery skipper. Living on, and cruising my own boat for 41 years.
vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote