Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2006, 22:51   #1

Boat: 1981 Com-Pac 23
New Cruiser/Liveaboard Suggestions

I am in the market for a NEW boat to be used as a liveaboard, and am looking for suggestions. Ideally the boat should meet the following requirements:

- 35-40'
- good headroom and berth length (I am 6'3" and don't want to live my life hunched over)
- EASILY SAILED! Solo or w/ a competent (but inexperienced) partner
- Quality construction

I plan on sailing mainly South Florida, Florida Keys, & Bahammas. I would prefer a boat that is capable of a transatlantic (although I don't plan on much blue water sailing).

My ideal boat is the Island Packet 37, and I am also interested in the new Pacific Seacraft 377. The price on both of these is pretty steep.

So what cheaper boat are out there? Any thoughts on the Hunter 38, ComPac 35, Beneteau or others?
BlueWaterMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 00:40   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Bluewater,
Welcome Aboard!! This is a great forum for all your questions. You've asked one that many folks have already answered and if you look through some of the archives you'll see their answers and you'll see that everyone has a particular opinion.
There are very many boats that will meet your described needs. Just walk the docks and start talking with folks that are friendly enough to invite you aboard. Take lots of notes, attend boat shows and ask specific questions.
My opinion is that 32-36 fiberglass, cutter or cutter yawl is an ideal boat and there are so many available that I would not make a specific recommendation although I truly like the old Allied boats. You've mentioned some good options as well. Make certain you talk with surveyors and have your prospective boat surveyed before purchase.
Kind Regards, --John--
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 04:10   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
When you mean "new", do you mean direct from the manufacturer, or just a replacement for an existing boat?

Some idea of budget is also quite useful, plus intended useage short and long term.
Old 28-06-2006, 10:45   #4

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
It seems to me that an older but better quality boat will serve you well as opposed to a newer, lesser quality one. While I don't know a whole lot about monohulls, I know that Island Packet has a first-rate reputation. If that appeals to you, I would think a well-surveyed used IP would suit you perfectly. Also keep in mind that South Florida, Keys and Bahamas are shallow water areas, so you want to make sure you avoid deep draft boats.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard