Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 16:36   #1

Boat: Catalina 34 Mk1
Need Shrink Wrapping advice for a liveaboard

It's my first year living aboard (just got the boat in August), and Winter is fast approaching. I'm curious to know what other live aboards in my climate do to cover the boat in winter. I'm pretty sure I want to shrink wrap since I plan to be away from the boat for a few weeks in February, but I'm a little overwhelmed trying to figure out how to do it.

How have other live aboards wrapped theirs? Do you do it yourself or pay someone to do it? How do you go about building the frame? I know I want to build it tall enough to be able to do some deck work during the winter. Anyone have pictures that might be helpful? Any help is much appreciated.
ThreadenSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 17:43   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Need Shrink Wrapping advice for a liveaboard

I used to cover the boat myself with a plastic tarp over a pre-made frame. That typically took close to two days of my time. I live about 2 hours drive from my boat yard, so the two days include 8 hours of driving (2 round trips). I would usually cover her in late October, when the weather in Maine can be quite unpleasant. For the past few years I've been paying the boatyard to shrinkwrap the boat ($2/sq ft). The shrink wrap is usually applied with a propane hot air gun and many boat yards do not allow owners to do it themselves. I think it would be a difficult job without access to a manlift when the boat is out of the water.
Old 01-12-2015, 17:46   #3

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

What is your climate? Your location? As Ziggy comments, if you are at a marina or yard, they may have their own regulations, as well.
Old 01-12-2015, 18:13   #4

Boat: Catalina 34 Mk1

Thanks for the responses. Sorry, there are a bunch of things I should clarify. I am in New York harbor in the Hudson River (on the New Jersey side). I am keeping the boat in the water for the winter because I am living aboard. For reference it's a 34' Catalina.

At my marina it seems that there is a mix of boats that shrink wrap and boats that don't. Some have plastic tarps, some have shrink wrap, some have covers, and some have nothing at all. I was planning to wrap with clear shrink wrap so I could still enjoy sunny days.
ThreadenSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 18:56   #5

If I were in your place, I'd pay the marina to shrink wrap. It's not all that easy and after you pay for the materials and equipment needed to install it, you won't be saving much money. Another consideration is a fire hazard.
Old 01-12-2015, 22:32   #6

You can hire people to do it for you. If cost is an issue, here's what I did in Canada; build a frame, you can use either wood, metal or pvp piping to make arches along the length of your boat. Instead of shrink wrap I used vapor barrier that I got from home depot, it was sturdy and see through. Build a wooden door instead of a flap door, the zippers will break before the winters up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:50   #7

Shrink wrap in your location will cost maybe $750 to have someone install it and ends up in the dumpster in the spring time.

For about $250 I got a roll of the material in the attached photo which was enough to make three covers. This material is two ply polyethylene with a polyester twine scrim sandwiched in between.

You will likely see at least one storm with +45 knot winds during the winter. My first year I had problems with grommets pulling out so I found these clips which I link to below. They are great, there are other similar ones that suck so don't be fooled.

Used a zipper door applied to the cover with shrink wrap tape. Worked well but had problems a couple times when freezing rain made the zipper stick.

A cover will make a big difference in keeping things warm down below. On a sunny day it will be quite warm under the cover even in the middle of February. Besides increasing energy efficiency it will make it less drafty down below.

Heating the air below decks is only part of the trick. In three seasons I never saw the water temperature stay below 32 for more than a day or so.

However it was very consistently in the mid thirties to mid forties. This means that it will be cold down low. You will have condensation issues against the hull and beneath your bunk which will make your cushion moldy.

Get a dehumidifier to help keep things dry and find some way to ventilate the underside of your bunk. There are a couple different ways. Good luck!

The Original EasyKlip® | Tarp Clips, Tarp Clamps, Fasteners, Grip Clips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	732
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	114183  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Shrink wrap in your location will cost maybe $750 to have someone install it and ends up in the dumpster in the spring time.

For about $250 I got a roll of the material in the attached photo which was enough to make three covers. This material is two ply polyethylene with a polyester twine scrim sandwiched in between.

You will likely see at least one storm with +45 knot winds during the winter. My first year I had problems with grommets pulling out so I found these clips which I link to below. They are great, there are other similar ones that suck so don't be fooled.

Used a zipper door applied to the cover with shrink wrap tape. Worked well but had problems a couple times when freezing rain made the zipper stick.

A cover will make a big difference in keeping things warm down below. On a sunny day it will be quite warm under the cover even in the middle of February. Besides increasing energy efficiency it will make it less drafty down below.

Heating the air below decks is only part of the trick. In three seasons I never saw the water temperature stay below 32 for more than a day or so.

However it was very consistently in the mid thirties to mid forties. This means that it will be cold down low. You will have condensation issues against the hull and beneath your bunk which will make your cushion moldy.

Get a dehumidifier to help keep things dry and find some way to ventilate the underside of your bunk. There are a couple different ways. Good luck!

The Original EasyKlip® | Tarp Clips, Tarp Clamps, Fasteners, Grip Clips
That's a good approach. But regarding shrinkwrap ending up in the dumpster in the spring, I've met a dude at my boatyard who would carefully cut the cover in half and save it for the next season. I'm a little skeptical about this, but I suppose it could work.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:18   #9

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I have tried several clip types and the best and easiest on the shrink wrap is the 'Kover klips' from defender Kover Klamps Klips
Item # : 751010 Just put some tape over the clamp to keep it in place. I have also used wood framing, PVC framing, but the best was EMT tubing. Cheap and easy to do using "Kover Klamps" Item # : 753238, again from Defender. DO NOT USE PVC. PVC becomes very brittle in the cold and will self destruct in the first stiff breeze. Don't ask me how I know. Protecting Vigah | Sailing Vessel Vigah
Old 02-12-2015, 08:14   #10

Boat: Trans Pacific Eagle 40

A guy in the slip next to me in Wickford, RI lives aboard all winter. He stays in the water and has the yard shrinkwrap with clear wrap. He claims on a very cold but sunny day, it is not unusual for the boat to be 70 degrees.
Capt Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:32   #11

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

When I lived aboard in the early 2000's (Toronto) I shrink wrapped every winter with clear, worth every penny! It's like living in a green house! Throw down a few black garbage backs to attract the heat and you're set! My wife and I used to spend weekends in the cockpit in t-shirts and shorts and still needed to leave the door open to cool down! Back then shrink wrapping our 34 foot sailboat ( mast off for the winters) used to cost around $350CAD
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:43   #12

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadenSails View Post
It's my first year living aboard (just got the boat in August), and Winter is fast approaching. I'm curious to know what other live aboards in my climate do to cover the boat in winter. I'm pretty sure I want to shrink wrap since I plan to be away from the boat for a few weeks in February, but I'm a little overwhelmed trying to figure out how to do it.

How have other live aboards wrapped theirs? Do you do it yourself or pay someone to do it? How do you go about building the frame? I know I want to build it tall enough to be able to do some deck work during the winter. Anyone have pictures that might be helpful? Any help is much appreciated.
Hi Threaden,

I have lived aboard off and on for over 30 years at N latitudes of 56-62 and never shrinkwrapped my boat. That doesn't mean one shouldn't. But if you do, be sure to add some vents so condensation isn't an issue. [A plastic tent will certainly trap moisture from your live-aboard activities. e.g., cooking, showering, breathing, etc...]

There was another discussion last month about living aboard in winter you may want to read as well.

I hope you enjoy your adventure.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 02-12-2015, 10:32   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Most home made winter enclosure last about as long as the first front that comes through. If you don't care if you will have to get out in below freezing weather and rebuild your cover, give it a try yourself. On the other hand, if you want a good, dry enclosure with a zipper door. well placed vents and the ability to stay in place until spring, get someone knowledgeable and with the right equipment to do the job for you. Living in the Chesapeake we never regretted having it done or the cost. We saw often and first hand what the home made ones looked like about half way through the winter. The cost to do it yourself will not be cheap either. Adding the materials like wood for framework, fasteners, plastic, padding to avoid chafe and other miscellaneous items. It will make all the difference in the world to your comfort and cut down on time when spring commissioning rolls around. But that's just my opinion. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:54   #14

Boat: Bayfield 36

On You Tube there is a good series of videos posted by a live aboard in Toronto showing how he constructed a winter shelter using 6 mil poly vapour barrier and 1" PVC eletrical conduit. Search Living Aboard in Canada.
nelsmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:44   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If I didn't know exactly how to do it, I believe I'd pay the first time, watch and ask questions, then maybe give a DIY try next year
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard