Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2014, 08:08   #1

Boat: 1972 Morgan OI
Send a message via Skype™ to aireus01
Medicine In Mexico

This has been asked before I'm sure. I have Issues with my low back and take hard pain pills. I've heard that you cant take your own meds with you. Is this true and If so how would I go about getting pain meds In Mexico. I'd like to be off them and am going to do my best but after 8 yrs of being on heavy duty meds I'm concerned that it wont happen. Thanks And If this isnt the right place to post please let me know where to post and look for answers
aireus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 12:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
re: Medicine In Mexico

First you won't have any problem in bringing down your prescription meds to Mexico, just have a copy of a prescription or a Dr note and you will be fine.

As for buying your pain meds in Mexico...well that will not only cost you a LOT less but will be very easy. With law changes, you can't just walk into a pharmacia and buy heavy pain meds but getting a Dr prescription from a doc in Mexico will be pretty easy.

I wouldn't be stressed...about it having cruised Mexico for 4yrs.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 13:32   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Thanks SV THIRD DAY, it's the "little things" like this that are good to know/make all the difference.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 13:41   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Normal prescriptions are easy to get, but if you are talking about the more heavy duty narcotic pain relief then you may have a much harder time .
http:// http://thepeoplesguidetomexi...tin-in-mexico/
Old 19-12-2014, 13:47   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I think that's the difference between being there vs the "official line" found on the internet sites. We were able to get any hard core pain meds we wanted Baja or Mainland with a simple $600P ($55) Doc visit. Before we headed North to California we stocked up our emergency drug bag with all the favorite pain pills. I even used some of the Oxycon when I broke my foot while traveling to the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show. It's the only thing that let me stand up in the boot for the week, of course I don't remember a think about the show now...ha ha ha

If you haven't already, you should look into joining the Yahoo Southbound Group
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...und_group/info
It's filled with Cruisers floating in Mexico today, so you can get many of your real time "little things" questions answered. It covers Cruising from San Diego to Peru is the official area of the group. It's a cool group to be in to keep tabs on what's going on with the cruising community in Mexico.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 14:40   #6

Boat: Allied 39

Since the swine flu outbreak Mexico has changed their policy of prescription drugs requiring a doctors prescription before purchase. Before you could just walk in and get any kind of antibiotics you wanted over the counter. But during the outbreak there was a HUGE rush on antibiotics that all the self medicating had some serious side effects on the population and hence the new law.

Don't have a doctors prescription? Most major pharmacies have a doctor on staff or next door that can write you a prescription for a small fee.

Regarding heavy duty pain medication. You will need a doctors prescription before purchase. Doctors have to have a special license in addition to their general license for prescribing heavy duty pain meds. It costs them for the additional license so they accordingly pass on a bit more of the cost to those wanting a prescription written.

Don't fret it's all very easy and doable.

Safe travels

Chuck

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-12-2014, 04:18   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

When we were cruising Pacific Mexico 3 years ago we asked some of the long-term cruisers in La Paz about getting narcotic pain meds. I think Chuck was in La Paz at the same time. They said it was pretty tough to do, so we dropped it, as it was for the ships med-kit and we didn't really need it. If Rich was buying narcotics there, then it is probably pretty easy. Pacific Mexico is an easy place to cruise: easy and cheap to fly back to the US, large food stores, benign weather and lots of other long term cruisers with info on everything.
Old 20-12-2014, 08:17   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Medicine In Mexico

if you have a legitimate need for specific meds and a prescription to go with that need, you can get the meds in the prescription filled.

if ypu go into a farmacia and speak with the owning physician and pay money for an examination, you can get other meds filled with the prescription given by that md.

this is december 2014 information eperienced currently here in mexico
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 11:25   #9

Boat: 1972 Morgan OI
Send a message via Skype™ to aireus01
Re: Medicine In Mexico

Thank you very much for all the info
aireus01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico