Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2015, 08:10   #1

Looking for live aboard marina north of Clearwater fl

Looking to find a new marina north of Clearwater fl. No more than 60 miles north. Tired of the dirty Tampa Bay water and would like to be closer to my sister and mom. I have a 34ft mainship and would prefer floating docks. Any suggestions
buettnerjg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 18:25   #2

Boat: never mind...
Re: Looking for live aboard marina north of Clearwater fl

We just stayed overnight in the Dunedin City Marina. Quiet, small, a bit scary entrance as the markers are small. It's close to downtown as well.

Granted, I'm no experienced cruiser but we did enjoy this little marina and it impressed upon me as somewhere I would live.
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 19:15   #3

I stayed at American Marina in Port Richie off the Cotee River for a year. My 28 Morgan is still there. They are not a official live aboard marina. They don't have indoor showers, mail boxes or a floating dock. The channel leaving the marina isn't very deep. I have a 3.5 foot draft and I will bottom out at low tide. If you are self sufficient and you like a simple Marina it might work for you. The owner Ronnie is a great guy and as long as your taking care of your waste properly he dosn't have a problem with liveaboards staying there. I have a composting toilet so I didn't even need a pump out. Fish and Wildlife keep two of their boats there and have only asked me once how I disposed of my waste. It's about a 25 min trip out the Chanel out to the open ocean and a couple hour sail to Anclote Island. Three Rooker is just south of there and a great place to anchor over night. Water and electric are included in your very reasonable slip fee. I don't know of any other Marinas in the area that let you liveaboard.
Good luck,
Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
RickMorgan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 03:01   #4

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

My understanding and observation is as you move north the water actually gets worse. I doubt you will find very nicer water. I know Pete's Pier in Crystal River is a crappy place to stay. I took the tour boats out of Tarpon Springs. Again, kinda crappy. The gulf shelf is just to shallow north of Clearwater until you are around the panhandle of Florida. There are boats that stay in the mouth of the Withlachoochi River but there is only a old tiny crappy marina. That is more than 60 miles north.

I looked at moving to Crystal River but can not find a very nice place to keep a boat. Now looking to move to the Atlantic side of Florida.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 08:07   #5

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

Might try Tarpon Springs. We were transients there, and they do have shallow entrance at low tides, but great location particularly if you like Greek Food!

Turtle Cove Marina

827 Roosevelt Blvd.
Tarpon Springs, FL 34689

727-934-2202

shipstore@turtlecove-marina.com
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 08:20   #6

Boat: 1980 22 Catalina

question are there any good places to stay on the Gulf coast of Fl
mark rocco mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 08:30   #7

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore

What kind of boat,, what do you draw?
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 08:37   #8

Boat: Island Packet 45
Send a message via Skype™ to basenay

Clearwater Beach City Marina has 2 areas- one at each end of causeway. Outer one definitely does not have floating docks but not sure about newer one on mainland. They were allowed 8 liveaboard boats by Fed.gov't in 2009-2011 when I was there. Don't know if number up or down since then. Non liveaboards were allowed 8 days per month aboard per month but nobody counted. Couldn't receive mail there as non-liveaboard. Rented one room apt. in Tampa where I was working 2 1/2 days /week and stayed in it 2 nights and on the board the rest of the time. Did go out sailing occasionally & nobody ever bothered me.

Bruce
s/v DreamCatcher IslandPacket
lying Shelter Bay Marina, Colon, Panama
basenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 08:38   #9

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

On Gulf Coast of Florida?
Twin Dolphin Marina at Bradenton, Florida. Great for live-aboards and transients. We spent a few months there last winter and this spring.

Twin Dolphin Marina

Saved to your Map
View on Map

Directions

<LI class="_DJe mod" data-ved="0CJ0BEJApKAIwDGoVChMI8ZiFur_ixgIVBNSACh0HbQAq " data-md="101"> 4.65 Google reviews

<LI class=mod data-hveid="163" data-ved="0CKMBEJM5KAMwDWoVChMI8ZiFur_ixgIVBNSACh0HbQAq " data-md="87"> Marina
<LI class="_DJe mod" data-ved="0CKQBEJApKAQwDmoVChMI8ZiFur_ixgIVBNSACh0HbQAq " data-md="102"> <LI class="_DJe mod" style="CLEAR: none" data-ved="0CKUBEJApKAUwD2oVChMI8ZiFur_ixgIVBNSACh0HbQAq " data-md="30"> <LI class="_DJe mod" data-hveid="166" data-ved="0CKYBENIuKAYwEGoVChMI8ZiFur_ixgIVBNSACh0HbQAq " data-md="7"> Address: 1000 1st Ave W, Bradenton, FL 34205
Phone:(941) 747-8300
Hours:
Open today · 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 11:32   #10

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

I read a post not long ago that Clearwater has a law and NO liveeaboards. Cannot confirm this to be true, suggest you check as here on East coast of FL the STATE not Federal regs are getting prohibitive re ALLOWING marinas to have liveaboards. Check out the posts right here re Titusville, FL Russ
Old 17-07-2015, 11:59   #11

It's posts like these you ask why did the person even type it, complete useless post from what the OP was asking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
My understanding and observation is as you move north the water actually gets worse. I doubt you will find very nicer water. I know Pete's Pier in Crystal River is a crappy place to stay. I took the tour boats out of Tarpon Springs. Again, kinda crappy. The gulf shelf is just to shallow north of Clearwater until you are around the panhandle of Florida. There are boats that stay in the mouth of the Withlachoochi River but there is only a old tiny crappy marina. That is more than 60 miles north.

I looked at moving to Crystal River but can not find a very nice place to keep a boat. Now looking to move to the Atlantic side of Florida.

Good luck

marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 12:14   #12

There are several marinas in Hernando Beach.
skipperjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 17:50   #13

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSaint View Post
We just stayed overnight in the Dunedin City Marina. Quiet, small, a bit scary entrance as the markers are small. It's close to downtown as well.

Granted, I'm no experienced cruiser but we did enjoy this little marina and it impressed upon me as somewhere I would live.
Looked at this web-site, it stated ''slips only rented to Dunedin residents'' ??
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 19:32   #14

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

Good luck

What a load of crap. This is a worthless post by someone who does not know the area. There are a bunch of marinas in Tarpon Springs worth checking out & the water here is great. Gulf access is excellent & the sailing is wonderful. Plus there are several islands off the mouth of the Anclote River with beaches that rival any in the country.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 20:42   #15

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Look at Anclote Harbor Marina on Anclote river in Tarpon Springs. Not floating docks, but nice and quiet.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water