Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2015, 17:41   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

In the process of buying a used Tayana 37 and need to find a marina in the Jupiter or Stuart area of Florida. The only one I've been able to find so far is Sunset Bay Marina and Anchorage in Stuart. Only problem is that they are already booked for next season and I would have to move at the end of Summer. Anyone live and/or sail in the area and know of another marina? Will need a place by June 1.
Thanks for any help. And then, is there anyone who would like to teach me to sail my new boat?
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:41   #2

Boat: Moody 346
Re: Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelandken View Post
In the process of buying a used Tayana 37 and need to find a marina in the Jupiter or Stuart area of Florida. The only one I've been able to find so far is Sunset Bay Marina and Anchorage in Stuart. Only problem is that they are already booked for next season and I would have to move at the end of Summer. Anyone live and/or sail in the area and know of another marina? Will need a place by June 1.
Thanks for any help. And then, is there anyone who would like to teach me to sail my new boat?
Try Sandpiper marina next to club Med, it is in the north bay not far from Sunset Bay. It is cheaper and has security gate, I stayed there 1 year. Also in Jupiter check Frenchmans creek Marina.
captd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:28   #3

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

I can't help with a marina but wanted to offer advice on learning to sail. Find a club with beer can races and offer to crew. Be honest about your experience and most captains will be happy to help you learn. Honestly that is a safe way to learn that is win win.

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 20:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
I can't help with a marina but wanted to offer advice on learning to sail. Find a club with beer can races and offer to crew. Be honest about your experience and most captains will be happy to help you learn. Honestly that is a safe way to learn that is win win.

SC
Great idea, thanks
Old 05-04-2015, 20:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by captd44 View Post
Try Sandpiper marina next to club Med, it is in the north bay not far from Sunset Bay. It is cheaper and has security gate, I stayed there 1 year. Also in Jupiter check Frenchmans creek Marina.
Thank you for your reply. I will check them out.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:00   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Try Nettle's Island Marina.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:31   #7

Boat: searching for my next one

It's a ways away, but I lived aboard at Diamond 99 Marina in Melbourne for about 2 years.

caveat emptor; It has sold since then, don't know the new owners or what they have done since then (several years ago).
nekkidsailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:08   #8

Boat: temporarily boatless...

OP, are you familiar with Jupiter Inlet? It is very unfriendly to sailboats, powerful current, standing waves, shifting sandbars, etc. Charted controlling depth is 4'9" but not reliable. I would recommend Lake Worth and one of the marinas there, I would suspect that Riviera Beach Municipal Marina would be a good choice.

I would be happy to help you learn to sail, but the problem with learning from Jupiter is that you must come and go on the slack high tide, 12 hours apart...

Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 18:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by captd44 View Post
Sandpiper does look good, thanks again.
Frenchman Creek is not Loggerhead and very expensive.
Old 06-04-2015, 18:28   #10

Quote:
Sandpiper does look good, thanks again.
Frenchman Creek is not Loggerhead and very expensive.
Frenchman Creek IS now Loggerhead and very expensive.
Old 06-04-2015, 18:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
OP, are you familiar with Jupiter Inlet? It is very unfriendly to sailboats, powerful current, standing waves, shifting sandbars, etc. Charted controlling depth is 4'9" but not reliable. I would recommend Lake Worth and one of the marinas there, I would suspect that Riviera Beach Municipal Marina would be a good choice.

I would be happy to help you learn to sail, but the problem with learning from Jupiter is that you must come and go on the slack high tide, 12 hours apart...

Pete
So farther North, such as Sunset Bay and Sandpiper Bay Marinas would be better? Would the St Lucie River be a better way out? Thanks for your input.
Ken
Old 07-04-2015, 06:01   #12

Boat: Moody 346

Quote:
So farther North, such as Sunset Bay and Sandpiper Bay Marinas would be better? Would the St Lucie River be a better way out? Thanks for your input.
Ken
The St. Lucie Inlet is good and well marked, lots of current at times.
captd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:26   #13

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Ken
Ken: every inlet north of Lake Worth (in the vicinity we are discussing) is really quite challenging for sail vessels. Yes, most of them are theoretically passable, but all of them are relatively narrow in places, have strong currents, shifting sandbars, and can have significant swell (Jupiter is the worst, I think; for the record, I live in and love this area). You can use any of these inlets, including Jupiter, if you want to wait for the right tide and wind conditions. Even Lake Worth is no cakewalk when the conditions are right, but you can basically forget about tidal heights and currents there.

Is there a reason why you don't want to look at the Lake Worth area? Yes, it is a little more expensive than Stuart/Ft Pierce (but a lot less than Ft Lauderdale/Miami/Keys). PM me if you want to talk by phone. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 16:09   #14

As for learning to sail, the Saint Lucie Sailing Club holds beer can races every saturday. I believe they also just started their "learn to sail" class. It was $35 when I took it last year.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wallbanger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 13:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
Ken: every inlet north of Lake Worth (in the vicinity we are discussing) is really quite challenging for sail vessels. Yes, most of them are theoretically passable, but all of them are relatively narrow in places, have strong currents, shifting sandbars, and can have significant swell (Jupiter is the worst, I think; for the record, I live in and love this area). You can use any of these inlets, including Jupiter, if you want to wait for the right tide and wind conditions. Even Lake Worth is no cakewalk when the conditions are right, but you can basically forget about tidal heights and currents there.

Is there a reason why you don't want to look at the Lake Worth area? Yes, it is a little more expensive than Stuart/Ft Pierce (but a lot less than Ft Lauderdale/Miami/Keys). PM me if you want to talk by phone. Pete
Would like to talk. Coming down next Monday. Don't know PM
Ken