Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2013, 18:15   #46

And I could have gotten Scott to help me with my wiring!
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 03:28   #47

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Looking for Advice on Chesapeake Bay Area Liveaboard Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
One more option is the Middle River area north of Baltimore. The MARC commuter train into Baltimore and DC is right around the corner from many marinas. Sometime soon the trains will run on weekends too.

I could see that maybe being an advantage for some compared to Baltimore proper (Inner Harbor), assuming quicker access to the Bay.

-Chris
Old 01-11-2013, 06:07   #48

Boat: Nassau 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningRabbit View Post
Hyper-vent under the mattress is a must! Buy it at a hardware store for a better price.
Hi RunningRabbit..
been looking for that Hyper-vent, looks like great stuff, Defender has it but can't find it locally- did you find it at one of the big-"homedepot" style stores or a local hardware store. Also a liveaboard, up here in Philly and getting ready for the winter- elst pray it's mild!
Old 01-11-2013, 16:02   #49

Boat: 37 Gulfstar
I was lucky and prior owners had already installed it beneath the v-berth mattress and settee. But I have heard that it can be found in big box home improvement stores in the roofing section. I think it is used between the roof and shingles to prevent moisture build-up. I recall a thread on winter aboard where folks may have even noted the substantial price differential per foot. Hope that helps!

Side note: I managed to shanghai someone at the local pub to fend me off if needed and got over to the fuel dock for a pump out. The folks there said there's no word on when/if the city pump out boat will be back in service. Ah, winter aboard. At least we can look forward to heated threads about the legal and moral implications of peeing in the sink.
Old 01-11-2013, 20:02   #50

Boat: CSY33

Baltimore has not been mentioned much but has much to offer.

First most of the slips are on floating docks. Given the wind storms we have had during the past few winters, some prolonged over days, with extreme tides, never having to adjust your dock lines is a great benefit.

Second the MARC commuter trains to DC. A friend at one marina walks across the street to a bus stop where he pays $1.65 to ride to the train station. (Some marinas are served by the free "Circulator"). He could then pay $7 to go all the way to Union Station in DC but actually pays less because he has a monthly pass. The trains start very early in the morning and run late at night (Monday to Friday). MARC is doing experiental runs on Saturday now. From Union Station the DC metro system is accessible.

Third, it is a big ship harbor and your draft and length would be no problem. You can have some good sailing in the harbor and wide, deep river. It is not what you get out of Annapolis, but nice in its own way. The sailing is different, but coming in for winter and as a liveaboard the sailing will be a secondary experience - at best - to the living aboard no matter where you are.

Fourth, it is cheaper than Annapolis.

PM me for more specifics on Baltimore marinas if you are interested. Some with no liveaboard policies let them slip during the winter. And then there is some flexibility in the definition.
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:59   #51

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

Thanks Trekka - Certainly a consideration. I have heard that the Blatimore area is considerably busier (commercially) than further south but I guess that depends on where your marina is? I am certainly spoiled by Florida marina atmospheres! Cheaper and access to public transport is a plus. Especially when the weather is cold/nasty. Interested in some specific insights - PM sent...Thanks.

TMT2
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay, liveaboard, men