Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2010, 12:28   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

We got our dog when we were living aboard, and we trained her from day 1 to use the astroturf on the bow (or below in bad weather). When she was three months old, we then had to teach her that it was OK to go on grass! It took several long days staying ashore before she'd "get busy" (our magic phrase) there -- she was convinced that the only correct place was on the boat.

So, yes, it will take some patience. If you can, get a piece of Astroturf from another boat with a dog that already has the "pee scent" on it. Put it on the bow and your dog will quickly sniff it and get the idea -- this worked for several friends.

Perhaps the bigger problem with a greyhound will be getting enough exercise. Our dog is small, so she could run around on the boat when we didn't go ashore for various reasons.

All said, our lives -- not to mention our cruising -- we were greatly enriched by having Paz with us. And she loved the boat. Now we're living on a small lake and she considers the dinghy (yes, we got a dinghy for the lake) to be HERS -- she just lets us drive her. And when anybody motors by, she always asks to go for a ride. So, no, I don't think she suffered by having to live aboard!

Carolyn Shearlock
The Boat Galley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 15:06   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Let me just speak as a Schipperke;

Yes, dog here, bred as a subspecies of boat dogs for the last three hundred years. Can I leave my product on the deck?
Sure, What would be the purpose of a ride in the dinghy?

My job? Pretty much just looking out for the territory on board.

I also bark at any other approaching boats. Even those that the people aboard can only see on their radar!
Old 27-12-2010, 12:29   #18

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
I like the idea of astro turf...I'm going to do that. Well, Boggie is.. My biggest fear is him falling on me and breaking my leg...that fear is the same on land. He is just big and playful. I'd love to be able to overnight without running to shore several times a day. Here he is...wuffing it....

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 14:26   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
........What I have found trying to tie up for a quickie walk is that people sadly are quite hostile to this and it is surprising as this is rather cruel. It's the private property keep out kinda thing even when all you want to do is tie up and walk the dogs on a public road...............
I find no problem with walking the dogs on the public streets and public right of ways, but you imply that you have tied to private docks at peoples homes to access these public areas. Is that the case? If so, I'm not at all surprised at the negative response. I can't imagine entering someone's property at their private home with dogs uninvited.
Old 27-12-2010, 15:03   #20

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
I have had friends who trained their dog to "go" on a large coiled up rope on the fordeck, with the end tied to a cleat. When done, the capt just kicks it in the water, and a while later retrieves it and re-coils it...

A side note... Out of consideration to other boaters, it is best to leave fido at home if he barks at the other folks in the anchorage. (many boats are not at all soundproof, and sound travels on the water so...) M
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard