Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2017, 09:58   #61

Re: Living aboard a Cargo Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Aground, that's a nice dream and I hope you make it a reality. BTW, why would you need a hydraulic davit or scissor lift? Your boom is your cargo hoist. Size it accordingly.
Some times the obvious answer is directly in front your face. Thanks.
Aground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 05:16   #62

Boat: 1 off, Composite, Longkeeler with centrecockpit, Ketch, Launched 1960, 49 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aground View Post
Hello Everyone,

Anyone among us living aboard a cargo Schooner?

I am exactly 21 years from retirement, yes i know that is still a good piece away, and i have decided to start building the boat i will retire onto. While searching plans i keep coming back to 50-60 foot cargo schooners. I love the look. I love the fact that they have a pilot house. Most of all i love that they have a cargo hold to hold our 2 Touring motorcycles.

So I was wondering, is anyone else traveling about, living full time on a cargo Schooner? If so, what do you like about it, dislike about it. Would you change anything if you had the chance. Besides shallower ports, will having a cargo Schooner keep me out of certain marinas if the vessel isn't being used commercially?
Anything else you care to share about your boat would be much appreciated as i try to narrow down in my mind what boat to "break ground" on.
Good on ye, the earlier you start, the better!

I've been living and sailing on a 53 ft cargo-schooner for 2 years. She was a Melquiades 50, designed by George Buehler (Melquiades 50) and built in steel. It took my mate 5 years to build her.

Most important: keep things simple or you'll never finish her. We had a dierk and a winch with stainless-cable to get things out of the hold, which worked pretty good and fast.

She was (and still is) a good sailor. Only thing I was struggling with was the huge gaff-rigged sailarea when my mate got caught out with mal de mer (which unfortunately happened frequently), no winches, no autopilot and only an 18 HP Lister-engine, it was usually only the 2 of us on board. Would it have been my boat I would have changed the circumstances, but my mate was of the opinion a proper cargo-schooner has to have no winches and my boat is a girl's boat because I've got them. However, I have to admit, it was a bit of a struggle, but it was possible for me on my own.

As she was leaned on the design of ancient times, we were the attraction wherever we arrived and many local newspapers published articles about us and the ship. And of course, we never had any problems in Marinas, to the contrary.

It is definitely a great idea to sail a cargo-schooner and has many advantages!

Good luck to you and your project, get yourself a good design, the materials and go for it! Don't loose time, you might already be sailing her long before your retirement and have plenty of possibilities for improvements you only notice once you're sailing her.

Fair winds
Dody
Dody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 05:21   #63

Living aboard a Cargo Schooner

Dody are you actually shipping cargo for hire or just trading commodities as you travel to various ports? Seems like you would make a good contributor to the "make money while sailing" threads
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 05:33   #64

Boat: 1 off, Composite, Longkeeler with centrecockpit, Ketch, Launched 1960, 49 ft.

My mate was actually shipping cargo from time to time, but, as he is a professional welder and mechanic, had (has) also a proper workbench in the hold to be able to work in his proper profession.

Yes, it certainly is a good idea for earning money under way. Although one needs a bit of experience with loading and unloading heavy stuff and securing it under way - you don't want your boat to turn turtle :-D

Fair winds
Dody
Old 14-04-2017, 05:48   #65

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Hey Aground, I am doing something similar, but rather than a cargo schooner, it's a schooner designed to be an expedition style floating youth summer program. Check it out.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 06:20   #66

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

What a beautiful boat and a great dream.

But...Did he sail it alone, or with full, paid crew?

Just wondering.....
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 06:41   #67

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

If you like Youtube channels here is another one for you to check out: https://www.youtube.com/user/submarineboat

S/V Seeker is a Chinese Junk but this is more to show it can be done if you put in the time and effort. They are planning on having this in the water this year I think, they started 5 yrs ago.
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 06:43   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
What a beautiful boat and a great dream.

But...Did he sail it alone, or with full, paid crew?

Just wondering.....
Which of the boats and people mentioned in this thread are you talking about?
Old 14-04-2017, 08:29   #69

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dody View Post
Which of the boats and people mentioned in this thread are you talking about?
Someone (I don't remember who) yesterday posted a few photos of a 60 or 80 foot schooner converted from cargo to personal use by a singer.

However, today it is missing.

Too bad....Nice photos. Nice boat.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 23:38   #70

Quote:
Good on ye, the earlier you start, the better!

I've been living and sailing on a 53 ft cargo-schooner for 2 years. She was a Melquiades 50, designed by George Buehler (Melquiades 50) and built in steel. It took my mate 5 years to build her.

Most important: keep things simple or you'll never finish her. We had a dierk and a winch with stainless-cable to get things out of the hold, which worked pretty good and fast.

She was (and still is) a good sailor. Only thing I was struggling with was the huge gaff-rigged sailarea when my mate got caught out with mal de mer (which unfortunately happened frequently), no winches, no autopilot and only an 18 HP Lister-engine, it was usually only the 2 of us on board. Would it have been my boat I would have changed the circumstances, but my mate was of the opinion a proper cargo-schooner has to have no winches and my boat is a girl's boat because I've got them. However, I have to admit, it was a bit of a struggle, but it was possible for me on my own.

As she was leaned on the design of ancient times, we were the attraction wherever we arrived and many local newspapers published articles about us and the ship. And of course, we never had any problems in Marinas, to the contrary.

It is definitely a great idea to sail a cargo-schooner and has many advantages!

Good luck to you and your project, get yourself a good design, the materials and go for it! Don't loose time, you might already be sailing her long before your retirement and have plenty of possibilities for improvements you only notice once you're sailing her.

Fair winds
Dody
Thank you for taking the time out to respond. this is exactly what iv been looking for. Its great to see I'm not the only crazy one who fancies such a thing.
The Melquiades 50 is actually one of the two designs iv been sea-sawing back and forth to. And if i can have mine done in 5 years i would be delighted. Still wont be able to full time on her until the kids are grown but it would make for some excellent summer trips!
Old 18-04-2017, 05:23   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aground View Post
Thank you for taking the time out to respond. this is exactly what iv been looking for. Its great to see I'm not the only crazy one who fancies such a thing.
The Melquiades 50 is actually one of the two designs iv been sea-sawing back and forth to. And if i can have mine done in 5 years i would be delighted. Still wont be able to full time on her until the kids are grown but it would make for some excellent summer trips!
For sure you are not :-D!!! Let me guess, the other one is a Dudley Dix Cargo 50?
What's the material you would like to build her with?
Old 18-04-2017, 05:47   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
When I was a kid back in the 60s there was a show on TV called "ADVENTURES IN PARADISE" about a cargo schooner sailing to south pacific ports and delivering cargo to the islands and having wonderful adventures. I think that show and reading "TOM SAWYER" is what was my downfall from leading a so called normal life.
If Aground wants this type of life all I can do is encourage him and say go for it. I only wish I started my adventures at a younger age instead of waiting till I was 29 years old.
So much time wasted. I really like the idea of carrying a couple of touring bikes.
Worst thing is to end up in a cubical and realize you never even tried to achieve your dream and now your out of time and out of years.

sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 08:09   #73

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

What is the other design you are looking at besides the Melquiades 50?
Old 18-04-2017, 08:52   #74

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Oh I missed that part about the Melquiades. Yeah that's a shippy schooner alright. I like the Big Mel and the Alca I as well.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 11:20   #75

Quote:
For sure you are not :-D!!! Let me guess, the other one is a Dudley Dix Cargo 50?
What's the material you would like to build her with?

Boat plans Trader 65 sailing work boat

I am more than likely going to build her from steel. It is what I'm most familiar with, and know how to maintain.

Also, i know this is a Ketch, not a schooner.

Tags
living aboard