Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2012, 13:27   #151

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: Liveaboard Dating

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceshanti View Post
Wow. I am a newbie and know nothing about sailing, boating, yachting or cruising except this: I love boats, the ocean, beaches and traveling. I would give nothing more than to live this lifestyle... and to meet my knight in shining cut-off dungarees, who has a boat... any boat, and wants to spend time with me on it.

If there are so many single sailors, where are they hiding? I've been doing this internet dating thing for years; and while I've made a few good friends and met a few odd ducks, I've yet to meet anyone who shares my passion for the boating life. Is there a dating website for ocean lovers? If not, we should all start one. Anyone in?

Wifey would hide my anchor if I got friendly. But seriously, be careful for what you wish for, you might just get it. Do not presume that anybody who owns a boat is a white knight or that you will "love" any boat. You're young, make your choices carefully and keep out of harm's way. Wish you the best--

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 14:19   #152
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47

Why am I qualified....

As a young man I never had any dating trouble as a liveaboard. And in fact I met my first wife and we lived aboard for nearly 3 happy years.
When the lease expired on the boat we had a young baby, work and school we decided to move ashore. I regret that move for so many reasons, not least that my wife died in a RTA about 6 months later.

I remarried a land lover but after 18 years with 2 more grown children the call of the water is too loud in my head and while we work out the details I am happy to be back living on a boat. She does not understand why my house needs to move. It just does.

I have been "approached" by several ladies in the last month.. but it is too early for me - so dating doesn't seem as if it is going to be a problem.
--
So my words of experience...

If you are a water person - you are. Nothing else will do. Some partners will stand it. Some will join you. But it isn't for everybody. (I think the landies are are all barking mad but we all have our own madness.. )
Don't deny yourself you are what you are. I tried to be a landie for 17 years and it made me miserable.

It works best if the boat is also your partners mistress. So if you start on a boat, consider your partners opinions and may be change boat if necessary. But a woman who is jealous for your time is unlikely to be a happy match with any boat.

The stars viewed form home under sail are terribly romantic .. Make sure you set a proximity alarm on the radar as you go below. Having to run back on deck with no clothes to avoid a ferry is embarrassing and ruins the moment.

We had a for aft berth and a port starboard berth... the for aft created fewer waves...

But like any long term commitment it is hard to find the right one even for landies... so go slow and choose carefully.

Life is supposed to be fun - hard work yes - but fun.
It is better with a partner who want to work together on a part of your life.

Brian
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 16:46   #153
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I think the reaction to how the living on a boat thing is received depends very much on how it is presented.
Perhaps how it is received depends on who you are, or if she likes you.
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 16:52   #154
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post
There is always that minor detail!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:46   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchman View Post
Believe it or not, there are some very attractive women who love the sea.
As I spend more time around the marina (I'm out sailing about 3 days a week on average), I've started meeting other sailors, and there are a number of attractive single women in my sailing club. I've also met two extremely attractive liveaboards at my marina, so I am gaining hope!
Jassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:57   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceshanti View Post
...the freedom... not so much. Tied to making a living on land, but as soon as I figure out how to make a living aboard.
I'm fortunate to have figured this out a few years ago, kind of fell into it (and now I teach other people how to do it). It's not really all that difficult. All you have to do is take a hard look at your skill set, and figure out which skills are valuable anywhere, or online, and travel with that.
Jassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 13:37   #157

Boat: Carver 4207, Fountain 38sc, Whaler 24 Outrage

My ex wife urged me to sell my last boat many years ago. Note the key word, EX. Now that I am living aboard my dating life has been very fruitful, almost to the point that the other guys on the dock are envious.
I usually am upfront with all candidates that my clothes are always wrinkled and my hair is always windblown but I always have the darkest tan in the room.
This will be my first winter living aboard in Chicago. If I find a girl that can handle those conditions I will know she is a keeper
TFTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 14:47   #158

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

How hard is it to find the right partner, male or female, sailor or land lubber, young or old, rich or poor..............what ever your demographic, the older and wiser I get, the less answers I have cos experience tells me differently

This week 3 years ago I ran away to sea with a sailor..........................I dont know who I am anymore nor do I know where life is going or what i want and do i care anymore?

Nah, I satisfy myself, ....litterally.......and thats where its at. Im kinda happy, got my boat, got my guns to play with, long nights spend reloading ammo, days out shooting, fighting the good fight against the evil zombies that wish to kill us all and it wouldnt be fair to involve anyone else in that cos ive got more death threats than salman rushdie

Yeah I get days like today when I meet a cool guy, good looking, smart, funny clever.........neutered by his ex, no money left, no balls left...................and i sit there kinda flirting while sipping my coffee, listening to his story and im eyeing him up thinking I could do this, ..........and there again, I cant be assed.........so i get home and open a bottle, cook a meal, ..........get horny............come on here, read all this, remind myself what a meat market dating is and settle down with a smug grin, content in the knowledge that I dont NEED anyone else.
Old 05-10-2012, 14:50   #159
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post
not into females,thanks
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 14:52   #160

WHat am I saying? Am I some kind of schmuk? Of course I would, ......if he were available, but he never is cos if hes worth having, if hes my type, hes already been had, so I console myself by saying im not interested.

There, - failure in paradise.
Old 05-10-2012, 14:57   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
WHat am I saying? Am I some kind of schmuk? Of course I would, ......if he were available, but he never is cos if hes worth having, if hes my type, hes already been had, so I console myself by saying im not interested.

There, - failure in paradise.
So all the partners worth having are taken ? You are not, I am not, I am sure there must be others You can give up if you want I wont,
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 14:58   #162

anjou--you have a good attitude and lots of confidence--is to be admired.
Old 05-10-2012, 14:59   #163

Its not easy for sure but things worth while seldom are
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 15:03   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
anjou--you have a good attitude and lots of confidence--is to be admired.

Thanks Zee, you know where things are at right now. Its a jungle out there. Momma never told me there would be days or indeed a life like this.

I want my money back cos I didnt sign up for this
Old 05-10-2012, 15:05   #165

amy--it improves. kinda...
you are a good tough lady--i wish i were as tough!! you are also smarter than i am....

i figger if i am in an anchorage and single guys are also in anchorage --then, if that single guy wants to meet me , he can motor or row or kayak or sup board or wtf to my boat to meet me. if not--then is his loss.

Tags
liveaboard