Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2012, 14:15   #1

Liveaboard

I’m new here and have never posted, but have been reading all the great postings, especially Don1500's journey on his new boat (which I loved reading about). I am looking to be a liveaboard /caretaker. I am a single parent (dad) with a well-mannered 13 yr old. I am mechanically inclined and have worked in my younger years as a carpenter/finisher. My intention is to 'test the waters' by living on a boat before I decide to purchase one. This may take a couple years. Then I would like to take my son and relocate to the Caribbean and spend an extended time sailing. My job now allows me to work a month or two a year. I would be able to work on someone’s boat with/for them. During that time, I would like to take some sailing and scuba lessons. I am not looking to take someone else’s boat out for my own pleasure, merely to liveaboard and maintain. If the boat is maintained already and an owner just wished someone to be present, then I might consider paying slip fees. I have a law enforcement background and owned a private investigation company for 12 yrs. Protecting your property will be no problem. I envy everyone here that owns / sails and I hope to be added to the list someday. I have raised 3 boys by myself and my last few years with my youngest I hope will be on a boat and eventually showing him the Caribbean and another life. Anywhere along the south coast (Texas - Florida) would be my choice. lol, unless I was to find someone already in the Caribbean! Any help would be most appreciated. I have so much to learn, but reading all the posts here has been entertaining and worth its weight in gold ! Please post responses here or you can email me at
(email removed by moderator PM is much safer)Thanks all !!
Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 19:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Liveaboard

Welcome aboard and good luck peeper.

I am guessing you are located somewhere near the gulf?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 20:50   #3

Boat: Tayana 37

Welcome to the forum Peeper. What you're looking to do may be difficult. I don't think you're going to find many people willing to let someone live aboard their boat. Not to mention someone new to boating. What I would recomend doing is buying a small, cheap boat and testing the waters that way. That would, I think, be your best option. At any rate, I wish you and your son luck!
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 21:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Liveaboard

Hi there Peeper.. Welcome to CF...
Ok... looking for a boat to live on... well... there is a guy posting on here with a Ferro boat he's given up on trying to make into a voyager and is looking to sell... being ferro this could take forever..
Now I have no idea if its in liveaboard condition or even afloat (I think it may be) and I cannot remember the location but who knows.. maybe you 2 could cut a rental deal.. hopefully someone will remember the Thread last week and connect you guys... and mutual back scratching can commence..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 21:53   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

That's this thread - http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oat-90855.html

And the boat is in Canada...

And peeper, as much as I love boatman, you do not want a ferro boat, or a project the first time out - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 05:51   #6

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
What I would recomend doing is buying a small, cheap boat and testing the waters that way.
This would probably be the easiest route. Really, buying a boat doesn't have to be a huge investment and it's not a lifetime commitment.

Owning your own first boat vs "renting" one will also give you the opportunity to mod and repair it as you see fit. In in the 2 years I've owned my first boat I've completely replaced the head/holding tanks, redone all the lighting, replaced the stove, inspected all my wiring/chain plates, redone several screens, sewed up some canvas, replaced the vberth mattress, fixed the fridge, etc etc.

All of it's been a learning experience and, more importantly, has taught me a lot about what I want in any future boat.

Do not buy a "project" boat though. Just get something smaller in good condition that can take you and your son into the Caribbean. Any good condition boat you buy will have projects that spring up all on their own that'll keep you busy and give you things to work on.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 04:11   #7

Thanks for the welcoming everyone. Im glad to be here. I hope everyone is doing well. Ive been busy the last few days working on a project, but I look forward to reading more posts this weekend and catching up on prior posts. You guys / galls are very informative !
Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard