Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2010, 11:12   #31

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Dan View Post
I just got divorced Oct 15th. That was last year I had the operation. I wanted Cindy to come along but she has a good job she did not want to leave. She is driven by money. She will die with hundreds of thousands in the bank, I will die happy.

Dan
It's a bit like the nesting syndrome, woman need security. If that were a big yacht she'd be with you in a heart beat!

And that's why some books of wisdom tell us to build our business and homes before we marry. I lost my first wife to my obsession with boats back in the 80's. She went on with her lawyer friends.

But now "you have no obligations but to yourself".
Old 26-10-2010, 11:13   #32

Boat: 1959 British Columbian Troller, 30' LOA, M/V "Puff"
Quote:
She is driven by money. She will die with hundreds of thousands in the bank, I will die happy.

Dan
good choice brother. I've got no time for that bull#$%* either. I fully plan on dying broke n happy.
mrwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 16:17   #33

I did some remodeling today. I think when I get a chance I will cut apart the cooler and make my own built-in. The lid will be thicker and just slide over the stove which will be lower once it is mounted. I now have room for a pantry on the port side. I also hooked up the sink so I can do the dishes in hot water.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jade 007 (Medium).jpg
Views:	239
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	20542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jade 008 (Medium).jpg
Views:	202
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	20543  

Skipper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 17:24   #34
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i want to be broke when i die too .. but the trick is to avoid being broke long before i finally die
Old 26-10-2010, 17:41   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i want to be broke when i die too .. but the trick is to avoid being broke long before i finally die
I think the real trick is to see what the minimum is first. You are going to find out that it does not take that much to sustain life. Now just add what will make you the happiest. Once you start at the bottom even simple things like a long hot bath can make your day. If you start farther up the ladder you now need the Hilton and a jacuzzi bath.

Dan
Old 26-10-2010, 17:50   #36

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
I think the real trick is to see what the minimum is first. You are going to find out that it does not take that much to sustain life. Now just add what will make you the happiest. Once you start at the bottom even simple things like a long hot bath can make your day. If you start farther up the ladder you now need the Hilton and a jacuzzi bath.

Dan
As long as the recipe states “just add water” I am sure I will be happy!
Old 26-10-2010, 18:55   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Thanks what was the problem? I hate not knowing things.

Dan
Not really sure. Something was adding a colon to the end of your link. We (mods) have a bit of a different control panel for the user's profile. I deleted the link and saved and then reconstructed the link and saved.

One of them pesky 'puter gremlins as far as I can tell.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 19:00   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
I did some remodeling today. I think when I get a chance I will cut apart the cooler and make my own built-in. The lid will be thicker and just slide over the stove which will be lower once it is mounted. I now have room for a pantry on the port side. I also hooked up the sink so I can do the dishes in hot water.

Dan
I have the exact same cooler. I don't use it much as I want to pair it with enough solar to power it. I have used it for weekend trips and it actually works pretty good. I like the idea of building it in somehow.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 19:07   #39

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwright View Post
good choice brother. I've got no time for that bull#$%* either. I fully plan on dying broke n happy.
Here's a link to a book I just read. I don't agree with all of it, but recommend it to everyone here who wants independence from "The Monkeys".

FWIW, it's "fiction" (yeah, right!)

Starve Monkey Press™

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 20:22   #40
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
I live on about $10,000/year....and have enough to live in a marina and totally rebuild my boat, I have been working slowly...doing what I can on my own, collecting exotic woods and tools over the years, might even have the same LP cookstove mentioned above, $50 woodstove, $125 Ray marine radar (because someone wanted the latest and greatest), collecting *nice* stuff that some people just don't think is as nice as it used to be, trading etc....basically for those that have more money than time there are people out there that will help them spend it, for those that have more time than money....things just seem to happen.
When I get finished (part of my refit is to make my boat livable for two which will reduce costs), I plan to take off sailing to "warmer climes"

I am the black sheep of the family because I have always found enjoying life to be of a higher priority than the high paced stressful career oriented life...my father was a sailor and my mother was an artist....my boat has been my dream all my life, now I have the boat and am working on shareing my dream. (just so happens the summer I said "someday I will live on a boat" was the summer this boat was launched...it just took me 40 years to catch up to the boat.
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 15:45   #41

After running back up to WI I am back on the boat. It was a happy site to see it as I walked down the dock. I sold a plane so I have good start on financing for the next ten years. I also found a couple of old solar panels to keep my one battery topped off. I should be back underway in one or two days. Just depends on how restless I am. I have the slip for the month but I know I will not stay that long. Tonight is a good night I will have a hot meal "Romen noodles" It was also kinda fun fling again I delivered the plane to him and he flew me back down the rest of the way.

Dan
Old 06-11-2010, 16:47   #42
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
This thread has helped to reassure me about something I always knew was possible and can now make happen, the hardest part of course was getting the boat, something I decided I wanted to do the summer of 1972 (coincidentally the same year the boat I ended up getting was launched, 35 years after the fact).
Old 06-11-2010, 17:04   #43

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Quote:
I just read through most of the post "Live aboard after retirement". I was just amazed at some of the figures that were posted. Granted everyone cannot work on their boat or outfit it themselves, but if it has to be done it is not that hard.

I had a turn in my life recently. I knew it was coming so I got prepared. I bought a Pearson Triton that had been started to get rebuilt. I would say half way there or all the removal part was finished. All new standing rigging in a larger size was already purchased. Auto pilot, boom vang, clutches roller furler 4 sails radio and depth sounder all came with the boat. Along with a rebuilt Atomic 4. I paid $1000.00 for the whole thing in RI. I was in WI. It took $600.00 or so to get it home. I sold the engine for $850.00, and the instruments for $ 100.00 plus $50.00 for the instrument plate. So I ended up with a boat for $600.00 or so in my shop. I have put maybe $600 more into it rebuilding the rudder and rudder shaft. Paint and epoxy. I am floating right now on the Mississippi. I am going to use electric drive once I can get around to it. For now I am using a 9.9 outboard which is more than enough power. I use 1/4 throttle most of the time and travel about 3.5 to 4 knots. I live aboard. I do not have a fancy stove oven only a $150.00 camp stove oven from Cosco. One LP container lasts me about one month. I bought a Coleman 12v cooler from Walmart for $100.00. Using insulation around it, it works just fine. I can use 5# of ice in a week if not plugged in or plug it in if I am somewhere that has electricity. It is not one of the $4,000.00 freezer friges but it works just fine. I have a yagi antenna that can pull in wifi for entertainment. I have more than enough room for two people. I plan on installing a shower in front of the head. As a true live-a-board I have nowhere I need to be. I anchor out in desolate bays in peaceful water. I am down to my fighting weight in just two weeks roughly 135 or 140 I will know for sure next week at the doctors. I should write a book "The cruising diet". I have found that the marinas I have been to will let you use their facilities if you are polite and respectful. It may be a different way to live a board, but it can be done and it can be fun. Even alone I am having a blast. My boat is more than capable of sailing around the world just as it is. I have made all the improvements to make it safe. Give me $100.00 a month and well I am into this boat for less than $5,000.00 once I get the solar panels installed. I am betting I will have just as much fun as the person spending $60,000.00 and $2,000.00 a month. Maybe more. I met Bill on the river I spend 10 times what he spends (he is in a kayak) I have the life of luxury according to him all I have to do is just sit there to move he has to paddle, he gets wet when it rains, and has to get out to go... Once I hooked up the autopilot I thought, does it get any better than this. Then I put up the dodger and sun cover over the cockpit. I wondered how much better can it get. Well I could have 3G network, and satellite TV but that would bring my expenses well into the $350.00 a month range. So instead I sing a song and write in blogs to upload all at once when I can. Can you live on $100.00 a month on a boat you have nothing invested in. I think so, just learn to barter. My biggest expenses will be the fees to get into other countries. My biggest thrill so far has been leaving all the EXPENSES behind.

Bonne nuit Dan

What a great attitude.
I understand you clearly.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 20:27   #44
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Yeah. No. It ain't that easy, Dan. What you've got will work on clam inland waters, but no, it won't take you around the world without a great deal of luck or skill.

"I sold the engine for $850.00,"
That boat needs an INBOARD engine, an outboard will not power it in ocean storms and it will hobbyhorse miserably in bad weather. An A4 is a perfectly good industrial engine that can be rebuilt just about forever.

"I am going to use electric drive once I can get around to it." Right now, all the electric drives are pretty much expensive experiments. By all means, they may work out. But rebuilding the A4 would have been faster, cheaper, more reliable. Typical offshore safety rules say you need 36-48 hours worth of fuel to motor through a storm. Try building your electric drive for that, rather than just flat water or docking. Ain't gonna be cheap. Of course, some folks go engineless, if that works for you, you're in a minority, a very small minority, but they enjoy doing it that way.

"I do not have a fancy stove oven only a $150.00 camp stove oven from Cosco."
Yeah, that can work, and I've been on a number of boats that use a $20 Korean BBQ Special gas burner with no qualms. But your stove is in violation of safety regulations and standards, and in order to dock in marinas you may need liability insurance, and then the stove may be an issue if your insurer also asks for a survey.

"I bought a Coleman 12v cooler from Walmart for $100.00. Using insulation around it, it works just fine. I can use 5# of ice in a week if not plugged in or plug it in if I am somewhere that has electricity." I've sailed with just ice and a Thermos. It works, it just isn't going to work as well when you get near the equator. Again, if it is good enough for you...Once upon a time, no one had refrigeration and somehow, they all survived.

"My boat is more than capable of sailing around the world just as it is."

Could be, if you are. Rachel Ray lived in a what, 10'x12' cabin in the Adirondacks before she got famous? But she's upsized a bit since then.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 23:52   #45

Well I am in the minority, and I like it. You do have some good observations. There are two ways to skin a cat so to speak. I hardly think that something not built in can be a violation (The stove). Gives me something to look in to anyway. I have no experience with ocean storms. From everything I read though I never heard of motoring through it. I have heard of "riding it out" though. The outboard is just to get down the Mississippi. Once in FL I will convert to electric. Rachel Ray lived in a what, 10'x12' cabin in the Adirondacks before she got famous? But she's upsized a bit since then. I was just upsized, I designed, built, and lived in a 7,000 sq ft house. The taxes were more than I will spend in 5 years now. I downsized after upsizing. I am happier in my little boat. I would not mind having one other person along (preferably 5'3" 125# 35 year old beauty) but I do not want to depend on 1) an engine or 2) any crew. Once you have to depend on something else, things get more difficult. This is not a hobby or vacation. This is a way of life. I will look into the stove, but I think as long as it is not built in there is little they can do. I do not plan on docking in marinas. Remember I am in minority if not in a class by myself.

Bonne nuit Dan