Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 14:34   #16

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Re: Lessons from my first 2 months as a liveaboard..

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgilligan View Post
Yankee = someone that comes from north of Mason-Dixon Line.
D@mn Yankee = someone from north of M-D Line that won't go back.

Hahahahahaha.....
If you're from anywhere in the world except the US, a Yankee is an American.

If you're from the US, a Yankee is a northerner.

If you're from the North, a Yankee is a New Englander.

If you're from New England, a Yankee is old-stock from the back hills of Vermont and New Hampshire. (MA, CT, and RI are mostly suburbs, these days, and most of their folks are no more Yankees than folks from Atlanta are southerners. Back hills folks from Maine mostly speak french, and have never been Yankees. And New York, dammit, has never been a part of New England.)
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 15:22   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Here in Oz, just being called a Yank is kinda polite talk. When they don't like you so much, they call you a "Seppo". Seppo??? Well, it's sorta rhyming slang: Yank...tank... septic tank... seppo. I think that you have to have some Cockney blood to really understand this stuff!

Jim
Old 02-06-2016, 15:38   #18

Geez man... lesson learned I guess, but really you didn't even look around? Had you even looked at the boat prior? Or just showed up and bought it?
Most states you have a 3 day waiting period to change your mind on big purchases.
I guess the lesson learned regarding boats , brokers and sellers is "Never ever ever ever take what they say as the truth"
It's amazing what some of them say.... Was buying a small power boat a few years back, the ad said rebuilt engine. When I pinned the seller down asking if he had receipts for the engine work he said something like "well... the previous owner told me he had it rebuilt"
Hilarious....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 15:48   #19
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWeiss View Post
So I've been reading these forums for years, finally bought a boat at the ripe age of 28, took the plunge, and moved aboard. Yesterday was 2 months since I got here so I figured I would write a post about some of the various things I've experienced thus far.
Awesome post. Welcome aboard, and I hope it works out for you. I'm sure it will - you have the power of positivity on your side!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 16:04   #20

Boat: Nautor Swan57rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Here in Oz, just being called a Yank is kinda polite talk. When they don't like you so much, they call you a "Seppo". Seppo??? Well, it's sorta rhyming slang: Yank...tank... septic tank... seppo. I think that you have to have some Cockney blood to really understand this stuff!

Jim
Hmmmmmm....... My christian name is Seppo!! I am not offended, love it ⛵️
sepeteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 18:33   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgilligan View Post
No mention as to your location, but I assume since someone called you a "Yankee" that you must be somewhere between SC, Ga, or Alabama. Lol. YOu just gotta shake your head and laugh at people like that..

Disclaimer: I am from SC, so I am allowed to talk about 'my people'. Lol.
Time to break out the oldest, most cliched joke ever told south of the Mason Dixon line.

Why I was 21 years old before I knew DamnYankee was two words.

Seriously I can't believe there are still people around that actually called the OP a Yankee. Where the heck are you docked?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 21:44   #22
Captain - s.v. Lastly Liberty

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalina 25
Send a message via Skype™ to ThomasWeiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Geez man... lesson learned I guess, but really you didn't even look around? Had you even looked at the boat prior? Or just showed up and bought it?
Most states you have a 3 day waiting period to change your mind on big purchases.
I guess the lesson learned regarding boats , brokers and sellers is "Never ever ever ever take what they say as the truth"
It's amazing what some of them say.... Was buying a small power boat a few years back, the ad said rebuilt engine. When I pinned the seller down asking if he had receipts for the engine work he said something like "well... the previous owner told me he had it rebuilt"
Hilarious....
Yeah, sucker born every minute I suppose. I flew down from Pennsylvania to buy it and, like I said in the original, pretty much passed out as soon as I arrived. I didn't even turn on the power - thank god that worked. The next morning I went in as soon as I woke up and signed the paperwork.
ThomasWeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 21:46   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Time to break out the oldest, most cliched joke ever told south of the Mason Dixon line.

Why I was 21 years old before I knew DamnYankee was two words.

Seriously I can't believe there are still people around that actually called the OP a Yankee. Where the heck are you docked?
I'm on the gulf coast. They still exist, but the rest of the people around here know those type of people are dinosaurs too.
Old 02-06-2016, 21:58   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavestimulus View Post
Interesting post, please tell us more about lessons your learned (and still learning I suppose), especially about being a digital nomad, working from the boat. About what you do, Internet connectivity, etc. Thanks!
I work as a freelance graphic designer so not much has changed in that department; I still wake up and work off of my laptop. As far as internet I either tether my iPhone or use a neighbors wifi (we each chip in a few bucks for it so it's not bad). As far as some other lessons I've learned, I'd have to start off with saying to buy spares for everything. I just changed out an impeller and while I cringe at the thought of doing it out in the water I take comfort in the fact that I have another just in case something were to happen.

Another would probably be 'don't get caught in the dock drama'.. Seems like a lot of people like to gossip and complain - neither is productive so why bother? More or less just a lot of little things: keep lots of change for the laundry, try to shower extra late or extra early, don't even think about going out on the water unless you're legal - a friend got a whopper of a ticket on memorial day for not having an airhorn and up to date flares, get good dock lines - saw a boat come loose in a squall around 4am and had to lasso his bow to keep him from drifting out of his slip, and most importantly DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF & TAKE TIME TO ENJOY THE RIDE. I feel like so many people are in a rush to get their boats outfitted with tons of stuff and it tends to distract them from remembering that they're living in a great part of the world with tons to see and do.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:19   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWeiss View Post
When I first arrived (around 10pm after flying since 7:45am) I was greeted by the broker/owner who was selling me the boat. It was all smiles and I was given a quick tour of the marina but at that point I was pretty exhausted so I promptly fell asleep. I woke up the next morning and (like a total idiot) went straight in and signed the papers not bothering to search around for the dinghy, whisker pole, chartplotter, bimini, etc. I didn't bother to take the sail cover off to check if the main was fully battened, didn't inspect the depth and knot meters, and didn't inquire about the rolling furling that wasn't installed.

It turns out that none of that stuff happened to be onboard and a few days later I was informed that the owner had no idea where it was and that the boat was sold AS-IS. I'm not posting that to look for sympathy but rather to let prospective buyers know that you should ALWAYS check the vessel out before you sign the paperwork. Moving on, I ended up deciding to take that as a life lesson, put the money into the boat, and am happy knowing that I am buying brand new equipment and doing the work myself.

Actually, if the advertisement said it had a dingy, whisker pole, etc... "AS-IS" doesn't cover the seller. It may be a piece of junk dingy but a dingy must be provided. Now if he said it has a chartplotter and it does but the chartplotter doesn't work (and he made no representation in the ad that it did work), that's a gray area. The problem with it being 2 months later is that can be taken as acceptance of the deal without the items listed.

As the first few weeks went by I started to make some friends and also met some of the local 'dock bullies'. Basically, a repeat of being a freshman in high school. The best way I've learned to deal with people like that is by treating them like complete idiots. 'You're actually calling me a yankee? Wow, no wonder you live alone on a boat..'

I guess we've ben lucky or maybe just thick skinned so we didn't notice. Never met any dock bullies.

Hopefully this post will answer some of the questions people have or at least give you some advice on what life aboard is like. I know I have a long way to go but every day seems to teach me something new and in the end, to me, this is what it's all about.
You live and learn. We all have made mistakes at one point or another.

The lesson I would take away is always do a written contract contingent on survey and sea trial. (then actually perform the survey and sea trial)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:46   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Or have worked with a bunch of people from England. Still, I can't explain Cockney Rhyming Slang, but I know how to use the Dog and Bone.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:21   #27

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
You live and learn. We all have made mistakes at one point or another.

The lesson I would take away is always do a written contract contingent on survey and sea trial. (then actually perform the survey and sea trial)
I can see how I might be willing to buy a boat from a seller who insisted on as-is and refused survey and sea trial. But it'd have to be at a hellacious discount.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:12   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I can see how I might be willing to buy a boat from a seller who insisted on as-is and refused survey and sea trial. But it'd have to be at a hellacious discount.
Maybe I miswrote it: the ad didn't say as-is and neither did the paperwork. That was just her response a few days later when I went in and asked where the stuff was. Had to resist my natural inclination to blow up on her - I feel like I would have been headed to jail. Again, just my own fault for not taking the time to check it out for myself. On the bright side the bottom paint is only a few years old, hauled it and no blisters or growth, and she performs pretty damn good on the water. Overall, in my eyes, I got my moneys worth for the boat.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:22   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
If you're from anywhere in the world except the US, a Yankee is an American.

If you're from the US, a Yankee is a northerner.

If you're from the North, a Yankee is a New Englander.

If you're from New England, a Yankee is old-stock from the back hills of Vermont and New Hampshire. (MA, CT, and RI are mostly suburbs, these days, and most of their folks are no more Yankees than folks from Atlanta are southerners. Back hills folks from Maine mostly speak french, and have never been Yankees. And New York, dammit, has never been a part of New England.)

Good post.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 15:12   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepeteus View Post
Hmmmmmm....... My christian name is Seppo!! I am not offended, love it ⛵️
HA HA, just goes to show, you can call me an as@&%le but somewhere in the world that could mean you think I'm a fine fellow!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard