Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2011, 12:29   #16

Boat: triangle pilothouse 32
Well the Caribbean sounds good, but unfortunately we have a business we are running. I am not retired. I need to be in the states. I also need a town were I can have an office and walk to work. Plus a good number of bars to drink at that don't require getting behind the wheel. It is cool in the more northern areas I'll admit that, definitely a consideration. I really dislike the condo canyon scene, traffic and sketchy crime zones. The further south you go into the warmth the more that stuff seems to crop up.
squarpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 12:42   #17

Boat: Nordhavn 47
I was stuck accidentally in Daytona in 2007 and it was pretty nice. The marinas were ok and the local area pretty safe and clean although the town is bigger and spreads inland more then St. Augustine and Fernandino so transportation may be less convenient. I had a rental car so I don't remember the bus situation although you could easily walk to the store and hardware if I remember correctly. I would give it a look again if I was doing what you are doing.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 13:55   #18

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
The muni marina in St. Augustine takes a real beating from on shore winds. Winter storms can make it terrible.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 05:20   #19
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Daytona's biggest problem is its "binge tourism" mentality. During spring break, auto races and motorcycle events, ordinary citizens can forget trying to go anywhere. I once almost missed a flight because the entire focus was on cars entering the Speedway. No contingency plan for people trying to get to the airport or anywhere else. One's perception of the city is different during ordinary periods and when it's taken over by college kids drunk on beer or motorcycle riders revving until your eardrums bleed. Nevertheless the city has a lot going for it and is worth a look.
Old 20-03-2011, 18:22   #20

Boat: triangle pilothouse 32
Re: Is there a Marina Location Like Fernandina Beach ?

Just for future readers info I have now gone to many of the places suggested by the posters on this thread. For what it is worth here is what I found and some thoughts on based on my needs as laid out in the original post.

Daytona - I was surprised by this maina, really large, seem well kept, the town which as I recall used to be fairly dumpy has been shown a much needed face lift right across from the marina. This only extends so far, but there were a lot of places to eat and drink right there. Art show was going on on one side of the street, across the street a nice park held a volkswagon rally, live music seemed like a good crowd. This could be a suitable place.

New Smyrna - The town itself seemed OK, but the marina situation just didn't look all that viable, tiny place, fixed docks, simply not many spots available to begin with. I wasn't sure we could even get a spot there after talking to the dockmaster.

coco beach - another town that has possibilities, the marina is large and the one thing I don't like is that it sits under the shadow and gaze of a huge condo unit. Then you must cross a very busy road to get to town, the little village area is nice enough, a bit small though in terms of what it can offer.

Fort pierce - Although most of Ft pierce appears to be a tragic example of the worst florida has to offer, the downtown area right next to the marina has had a lot of work done to it, along with a nice water front park. The marina is also nice, ther are two restaurants right at the docks, the town still looks like it is struggling a bit, but I thought this area might be a good place to spend the winter. Seems like the marina is the real focal point of everything good going on in town. Lots of events right in the park next door.

Vero beach - we loved the marina nice setting. looked like a good place to hang with other cruisers, I didn't really like the town, to far away, to upscale.

Stuart - I'd have to say this would be the winner if I were to pick someplace out of this list of towns to stay. There is a good size marina, with a restaurant on site. The town which is on the other side of RT1 can be reached by a walkway under the bridge. Stuart seems to have everything within walking distance, nice park, nice town. restaurants, pubs, shopping, it is all there. I guess my only negative thought was that it is simply very busy down in Stuart as opposed to here in Fernandina. The traffic is ridiculous, of coarse the whole point of the search is to find a place where you do not need a car so we will not be in traffic. I'd like to here any opinion on Stuart pro and con from those who actually spent a lot of time there.

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions if anyone has any other places to consider please post.
squarpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 19:36   #21

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Re: Is there a Marina Location Like Fernandina Beach ?

re:stuart Grocery store is only 1/2 mile down the road, hospital < mile, Ace hardware about a mile, and marina provides a shuttle to Walmart, West Marine, etc
I rented a car twice in 4 months, the Hertz is also about a mile down the road.
The con is the airport doesn't have commercial traffic, so you have to go all the way down to west palm beach, and there is basically no TV, with digital, you need a perfect signal. Its also about 7 miles off the path of the AICW, most people who bother to go there, end up there for longer than they expected. Marina is crowded and if you have a car you will find times that you have no parking because of the popular restaurant.
You have to raft up at Vero Beach, a definite negative.
You missed Titusville, nice nature area across the river to walk around in, publix is about 1.5 miles away, good place to watch launches, manatees in abundance.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote