Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2016, 11:00   #1

Boat: Kenner Privateer 26
How quickly can I get into a boat after moving?

Hows it going guys, so I've narrowed down my online searches a bit, and I'm starting to know what Im looking for. Now the real concerns are setting in. I know I have to look at these boats in person, then survey the one I want and pop insurance on her and then find a sublease. The sublease I THINK can be handled over one weekend, or worst case find a slip last minute when I finally arrive in town. Im more concerned with the process after selecting a boat i want to survey. How long does that take ( to survey)? In your exp do I need the survey done before I get ins or financing? The boat is going to be my home in the Seattle area, and I'm trying to not to live out of my car for more than a weekend if at all possible, so I want to plan ahead ( I will be flying in for a few days before the final move) and handle everything I can that trip. Wish this was going to be less sloppy but there only so much you can do from a computer screen.
Wind459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 11:06   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Re: How quickly can I get into a boat after moving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind459 View Post
The sublease I THINK can be handled over one weekend, or worst case find a slip last minute when I finally arrive in town. Im more concerned with the process after selecting a boat i want to survey. How long does that take ( to survey)? In your exp do I need the survey done before I get ins or financing?
From survey to purchase, my timeframe was about two months. But, I don't know if mine is a typical case.

Also, for me - the most stressful part was finding a slip that's reasonably priced. Then, again... mine is in the Caribbean (BVI/USVI).

And, YES! Survey BEFORE financing and insurance.

Hope this helps!
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 11:09   #3

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Survey takes a day, maybe two depending on how thorough (sea trial as well). Signing a lease at a marina usually shouldnt be more than just giving them payment.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 11:15   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Looked at it on Saturday. Paid money on Wednesday. Put in the water on Thursday. Moved across town and at new Marina on Friday.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 28-09-2016, 11:23   #5

Boat: Kenner Privateer 26

Thanks guys! I was comparing it to a home purchase, which tends to take awhile even if everything goes according to plan. For the Sea Trials, (Im a noobie), does the surveyor take it out or do I sail it ?
Wind459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 11:31   #6

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor

I looked on Saturday made the offer Tuesday, deposit on Thursday, couldn't close waiting on the title from out of state seller. Closed Tuesday. Drove back Wednesday, dropped the boat in the water, spent 2 days prepping and then sailed it 400 miles home and moves aboard. I don't know that I would recommend it like that to everyone.
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 11:53   #7

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind459 View Post
Thanks guys! I was comparing it to a home purchase, which tends to take awhile even if everything goes according to plan. For the Sea Trials, (Im a noobie), does the surveyor take it out or do I sail it ?
Surveyor/Captain/Broker usually is the one sailing the vessel, but it is a perfect time for you to get some wheel time and see how she performs.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 12:57   #8

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Our survey, including a separate engine/mechanical survey with oil analysis and haul out for bottom inspection, and sea trial were all done in a single day. We started about 9:00 am and were back at the dock from the sea trial by 1:00. The insurance company and the finance company will want to see the survey report before completing their paperwork. We had the survey in our email three days later, forwarded it to the finance guy and the insurance guy, and had it all wrapped up a week later.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 13:31   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Wind459,

Sorry to drizzle on your parade, Wind, but in the PNW, liveaboard slips are a bit scarce, and I think you're going to have to live out of your car for a while longer than a weekend.

There are a lot of ducks to line up. First, getting insurance is more of a weekday sort of deal than weekend--however, the PO's ins. may cover you to the end of the month or maybe just a week after. Check to see if that can be arranged, if they're insuring the boat for the PO, the same company may be willing to do it for you, the boat's the same. For a new insurance company, they may require an out of the water survey. They may or may not agree to send their guy down at the same time as you've hauled for your survey, but it's something to negotiate.

Looking at boats is in itself time consuming, you'll want to take notes or talk into a recorder, with your thoughts on each one. Really, I think two weeks would be a more likely time frame, and you'll be pretty busy lining up your ducks. There's a thread on CF called something like Surveyor 101, about what to look for and at for yourself, so that you can organize your thinking.

If you're buying direct from the owner, then you don't need time for dealing with a broker, but otherwise, the process can be drawn out.

Locating a surveyor and arranging for the survey may also take a while.

It isn't what you plan that takes the time, but the surprises life throws in your way. Murphy may be alive and well, and waiting on your port spreader.

Ann
Old 28-09-2016, 17:50   #10

Boat: Westsail 28

What boats are you looking at Wind459 ?
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:06   #11

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

In my case, I looked at the boat one weekend, went back the next weekend for in-depth look. Then scheduled a survey. Survey took one day, did sea trial with a professional captain and the surveyor next day, and signed purchase contract the end of that day. I provided a refundable down-payment on the boat the week prior to survey to hold the boat (10% of asking ~ about $4K). Wrote a check for the remainder when I had my "out-brief" from the surveyor. Make sure you get a detailed surveyor's report in .pdf format, because your insurer may (should) ask for a copy. Finding a good surveyor is a whole 'nother discussion. Getting a slip was as easy as telling the marina what date I was arriving; I did not even have to put money down, but that will vary greatly by region. I considered hiring a mechanic to check the engine, but it had just been re-built and I had documents from the boatyard where it was located verifying the re-build, who did it, etc, and there were stamps all over the engine that validated that.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:34   #12

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Yup, I agree with Ann Cate, you better make sure about liveaboard status. In San Francisco Bay they are as scare as hen's teeth. Maybe some of the kids up in Seattle area can chime in about local knowledge. But do not, even for a second, think that just because you bought a boat means you can liveaboard it any where you want.

Sometimes the current owner can help you make arrangements or subleasing of his current slip. It is dependent on Marina by-laws and many times on local government agencies. Speak to the owner and get his in put...quickly. You might even ask him that once you sign contracts and put a nice deposit down can you live aboard his boat until closing of escrow. You should present to him that you have approval from the bank that you are financing through...you have been approved. Knock down any of those 'trust' obstacles that might occur to him. Good luck and let us know how it all went down...
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 11:11   #13

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

It isn't what you plan that takes the time, but the surprises life throws in your way. Murphy may be alive and well, and waiting on your port spreader.

Ann[/QUOTE]

I LOVE your way with words! I'll be watching that port spreader pretty closely from now on.
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 11:21   #14

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

We had our survey, I offered to bottom paint the PO's boat until the transfer of ownership paperwork went through. The boat was back in the water in 2-3 days with paint, zincs, and insurance... I was living aboard immediately after she hit the water since I paid cash and adopted the POs slip.

Yes, after survey, get insurance you'll need the HID. My next marina (months later) required proof of insurance.

I believe live-aboard slips are more rare in Seattle than Portland. I think City of Everett, Gig Harbor, and Olympia allow live-aboards.
Old 29-09-2016, 20:56   #15

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Both Ann and Alan have nailed it. My wife and I live aboard in Shilshole Marina. We sublet a slip for 5 months and got lucky to find that one before one came up for us. The wait list for slips in the 40 to 50 foot range are about a year or so now.

Our survey here only took a day to do, including the sea trial, but the file took about 4 days to get back to us. That file was required by the insurance company and the marine documentation service; both of whom are a 9 to 5, Monday through Friday operation

I would honestly be less concerned about getting the survey done quickly and getting the results back for insurance purposes than I would in actually finding a place that will actually (leagally) let you live aboard.

I would start by calling the local marinas where you want to stay and see if there are any live aboard slips for lease or if anyone wants to sublease their slip out to you. If you are dead set on coming to town, there are several AirBnB places around the Seattle area. You might consider staying in one of those while you take care of the details.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote