Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2012, 15:27   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: How Much to Liveaboard ?

Location, location, location! We find places where we can anchor with free public dinghy docking and all needs,- groceries, laundry, etc. nearby. We also find occasional monthy rates that we sometimes use for a month or two for near $500/mo. We find transient moorings with amenities at some locations for less than $20. We've also seen $200/day marinas and $70/day moorings. Like most things, you will find the opportunity to pay many times the value. .....'you better shop around!
Old 24-08-2012, 16:24   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Marinas can be an easier way to socialize. Assuming you get lucky and hit the right slip. Anchoring out is a bit isolated, sometimes that is just the ticket. But other times it's nice to piss off new people!
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 19:08   #33
jwr
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Marinas can be an easier way to socialize. Assuming you get lucky and hit the right slip. Anchoring out is a bit isolated, sometimes that is just the ticket. But other times it's nice to piss off new people!
Loving it!!!! from a female side... party on
jwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 19:38   #34

Boat: Tayana 37

For me, I live aboard in Charleston, SC. I'm at a marina and I pay 400 a month to dock my 35' Alberg. And that rate include my power, water, cable and internet. And the marina has showers and laundry facilities. There are cheaper and more expensive slips in the area along with a number of mooring bouys. If you are planning on living aboard and tying up to a bouy, one thing to keep in mind is the local tides. Here in Charleston, the current moves through the mooring field at around 3-4 knots, so it will ocasionally make for a rough ride. There are cheap (and nice) slips out there. You just have to find them. Charleson has quite a few. Not to mention its only about 4 hours from Atlanta.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 19:55   #35

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Of course this 'budget' depends and differs from couple to couple and your lifestyle.

We plan on spending around $5K per month for the two of us (outside of insurance and medical) and that seems to work fine for us! Of course you have to take inflation into account ... if we need to spend more we do, but $5K works great!

We try our level best to be at anchor because we detest marinas ... we explore and investigate islands, eat at restaurants from time to time with friends, buy decent food, buy new clothes whenever necessary, get to hair salons, spa's etc ... and it all works well within this budget!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 19:56   #36

... by the way ... we know of so many people who have had cash stolen on board, so make sure you never have to carry cash with you !!! We made that decision the day sea robbers tried boarding Impi off Suriname
Old 31-08-2012, 20:25   #37

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
... by the way ... we know of so many people who have had cash stolen on board, so make sure you never have to carry cash with you !!! We made that decision the day sea robbers tried boarding Impi off Suriname
Biggest reason why I'm a memeber of the USCG Auxilary. Most sea robbers tend to avoid ships flying a USCG ensign. And also why I keep an AR-15 and Remmington 10 guage on board.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 21:30   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
Biggest reason why I'm a memeber of the USCG Auxilary. Most sea robbers tend to avoid ships flying a USCG ensign. And also why I keep an AR-15 and Remmington 10 guage on board.
Sounds like a very well equipped boat.
-Bruce
Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 15:43   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Steering back to cost rather than securing your cash, I would point out that cruisers that anchor out have an advantage that accrue with time. We left Nantucket nine days ago and wev'e anchored out each day since that time. As it turns out, when you spend time without access to shore and with your independant power and amenities, there's no means to spend money. Take any month without shore time and you suddenly find an 8.5% decrease in your cost of living. Do this a few times a year and you'll find a great increase in your descrectionary income!
Old 03-09-2012, 20:10   #40
jwr
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Steering back to cost rather than securing your cash, I would point out that cruisers that anchor out have an advantage that accrue with time. We left Nantucket nine days ago and wev'e anchored out each day since that time. As it turns out, when you spend time without access to shore and with your independant power and amenities, there's no means to spend money. Take any month without shore time and you suddenly find an 8.5% decrease in your cost of living. Do this a few times a year and you'll find a great increase in your descrectionary income!
It sounds good
Old 03-09-2012, 20:33   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
How true !!!
Words of wisdom Cap
Old 03-09-2012, 22:21   #42

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
If I lived aboard, ( don't, but let's pencil it out for next year should I get the urge)

Yearly slip fee including finger dock on security gate concrete & galvanized dock, electrify, water

...............$1500

(before anyone gets excited, winters in Nebraska are like the South Pole at times. Lake frozen feet deep about 3 months of year. Some years, only two months)

Insurance. ............ $1 a day

Grill & propane ..........$35 a year (yacht club fee)

Park permit. ( lake is in a state park). ......$25

Round numbers it is about $150 a month or....

FOUR BUCKS A NIGHT!

If anyone has a better value for a 32 foot sailboat slip, they are getting a very good deal!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2588426748.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	46046  
Old 06-09-2012, 07:33   #43
jwr
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
If I lived aboard, ( don't, but let's pencil it out for next year should I get the urge)

Yearly slip fee including finger dock on security gate concrete & galvanized dock, electrify, water

...............$1500

(before anyone gets excited, winters in Nebraska are like the South Pole at times. Lake frozen feet deep about 3 months of year. Some years, only two months)

Insurance. ............ $1 a day

Grill & propane ..........$35 a year (yacht club fee)

Park permit. ( lake is in a state park). ......$25

Round numbers it is about $150 a month or....

FOUR BUCKS A NIGHT!

If anyone has a better value for a 32 foot sailboat slip, they are getting a very good deal!
This all sounds good but unfortunately it is going to be 2-3 to 4 years before we can cruise so we are selling our boat csy 44.....we live 61/2 hours away and do not have the time to get there.......jwr
Old 06-09-2012, 07:52   #44

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

$7-00 per night on a swing mooring in Muscat Cove, Fiji, Plus eats,

On the pick, Costs Nothing, Plus eats,

You have to leave Fiji every 18 months, sail to Vanuatu and back and stay another 18 months,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 07:44   #45
jwr
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
$7-00 per night on a swing mooring in Muscat Cove, Fiji, Plus eats,

On the pick, Costs Nothing, Plus eats,

You have to leave Fiji every 18 months, sail to Vanuatu and back and stay another 18 months,
Sold our boat........... in three weeks.......... In two or three years will look at buying another boat when we retire.

Tags
liveaboard