Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 08:29   #1

Boat: 1972 Gulfstar 36' Motorsailer
How do you remove the pulley to replace the seal leaking at the timing cover?

I have a small oil leak coming from the seal. Does anyone know how to get to it to replace it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Jeraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 08:31   #2

Re: How do you remove the pulley to replace the seal leaking at the timing cover?

It a 1972 Ford Lehman

Old 16-02-2015, 08:56   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: How do you remove the pulley to replace the seal leaking at the timing cover?

I think the easiest way is to pull the starter and have someone with a big flat blade screwdriver, jam the flywheel, while you use a big socket with lots of leverage to remove the nut that is torqued on to 60-80 foot pounds. It may need 100 foot pounds to break free. They actually make a little claw thingy to hold the flywheel, but a big screwdriver works well enough.

Once the pulley is off, pry the old seal out, might need to screw in one or two self tapping sheet metal screws to pull it out. Use a socket the same size as the new seal to press, gently tap into place.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:06   #4

Why pull the starter? This diesel engine is a whole new ballgame for me.

Old 16-02-2015, 09:21   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeraden View Post
Why pull the starter? This diesel engine is a whole new ballgame for me.

You need some means of keeping the pulley/crank from turning. On a boat, with a pulley nut at 80 ish foot pounds, the easiest way I know is via the flywheel. Some engines have a access panel you can use to get access to the flywheel.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:21   #6
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeraden View Post
It a 1972 Ford Lehman

Go to Kragen and rent a gear/steering/wheel/fingerpincher puller.........
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:24   #7

Got it, thanks!

Old 16-02-2015, 09:24   #8
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
You need some means of keeping the pulley/crank from turning. On a boat, with a pulley nut at 80 ish foot pounds, the easiest way I know is via the flywheel. Some engines have a access panel you can use to get access to the flywheel.
Smacking it hard and fast wit a large 2lb persuader will do it sometimes too! Inertia..
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Thanks for your reply. Huge help! Taking your advice:-)

Old 16-02-2015, 09:32   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If the motor is turning on you when you try to remove the big nut, I'd try wrapping a 1/4" line around the pulley a couple of times, crossing it over itself so it jams, then tying the end off to something close. Lots easier than removing the starter.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:47   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

You could rent an electric impact wrench if taking out the starter doesn't work for you.

Inspect the pulley hub closely. Sometimes pits by will form right where the seal rubs on the hub. If so the pits will eventually eat thru the new seal. The fix for that is either repair or replace the hub or just as good.... better bearing suppliers have sleeves in most sizes that slide over the hub and become a new surface for the seal to rub on. I think they're made from teflon.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
You could rent an electric impact wrench if taking out the starter doesn't work for you.

Inspect the pulley hub closely. Sometimes pits by will form right where the seal rubs on the hub. If so the pits will eventually eat thru the new seal. The fix for that is either repair or replace the hub or just as good.... better bearing suppliers have sleeves in most sizes that slide over the hub and become a new surface for the seal to rub on. I think they're made from teflon.
I'll check for that, thanks!

Old 16-02-2015, 10:26   #13

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

"I have a small oil leak coming from the seal. Does anyone know how to get to it to replace it?" Please don't take this the wrong way, but, If you don't know why, how to stop the engine from turning, nor what a gear puller is, perhaps its a good idea to hire someone who does. Much cheaper in the long run. Maybe hire them to supervise your efforts.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 11:44   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
"I have a small oil leak coming from the seal. Does anyone know how to get to it to replace it?" Please don't take this the wrong way, but, If you don't know why, how to stop the engine from turning, nor what a gear puller is, perhaps its a good idea to hire someone who does. Much cheaper in the long run. Maybe hire them to supervise your efforts.
I agree! I'm in the beginning stages of understanding how a diesel engine operates. When a problem arises, I try to gain an understanding of "how to" and whats required for repairs.
Can't blame a girl for trying!

Old 16-02-2015, 12:02   #15

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

Not blaming at all. Just trying to be helpful. If you scratch up the crankshaft trying to, remove the seal, for one thing, you will never be able keep a seal in there. Learn all you can, indeed, but don't do it the hard way. Get a skilled person to guide you, in person, as in looking over your shoulder. Good luck.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote