Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2008, 07:10   #1

How do Marina's & living aboad work in arizona.

Hi, I've been trolling the forums for awhile now, and just can't seem to find answers to my specific questions. So here's a little background before I ask.

I'm 24 currently serving in the US Air force, stationed in Japan at the moment. I have a dream of poking around the world in my very own sail boat. I've been saving for the trip for my entire enlistment.

My enlistment ends in 2 months and im off to Arizona to work for the Air National Guard as a meteorologists 1 weekend a month and finish my degree. I have this idea of finding a nice boat to move aboard, learning all I can about sailing and living aboard a sailboat. "even if it is on a lake"

I'm currently looking for information on how marina's work, specifically in Arizona. I've looked at a few sites on Arizona marina's and they give slip fee's and electricity/month but make no mention of liveaboard's.

It sounds like a great life on the water, and being part of these community's even better way to start a new relaxed life back in the states.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Oh also any information about marina's in or around "Tucson" would be even better.
Old 18-06-2008, 08:29   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Living aboard is a touchy subject to many marinas as once your in and its your home, its sometimes very hard to get you out if your not the type of person their looking for..
Many "liveaboards" and I include myself at times, happen to migrate off the boat by stacking things on the dock, from flowerpots to woodworking benches and an acasional fridge... At the far end of the old docks where I'm tyed right now is a gentelman that has been there for around 40 years, and as the years passed by, he built storage, above, beside, front of, and behind his boat..
We dont stay in one place long enough to "settle in" so I keep my adding of treasures to a minimum, and we refer to ourselves as cruisers..
When aproaching these marinas, you almost have to show up in person, with a picture of your boat and dressed as if you were applying for a job,
And I recently found out an interesting tid-bit.. many counties limit the amount of "liveaboards" to a % of the total in the marina.... But when a marina is listed as a "resort & marina" they dont fall under the same regulations..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 08:48   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I'm currently looking for information on how marina's work, specifically in Arizona. I've looked at a few sites on Arizona marina's and they give slip fee's and electricity/month but make no mention of liveaboard's.
There is really not anything standard. You may be able to get a better annual rate and some may charge an extra fee if they know you are living aboard as you'll use a lot of some services more than a weekend seasonal user. You may find some refuse to take your money if you intend on living aboard. The trend seems to be heading toward difficulty living abroad.

If people can figure out that buying a cheap boat and living at a marina is cheaper than renting some place then it sets up the economic incentive to live aboard a boat you never intend to take out or leave. There are coastal areas where property for sale or rent is very high. These are the most difficult because they are also the most desirable. The more out of the way you get the easier it is to find a place so long as there is a place to find.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 13:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Semi-off topic, but germane to your overall question: Living with external job, working on, and sailing a boat. It isn't that easy. First, you will probably need a boat that will allow you to sleep, eat, and have use of a shower/toilet. Any thing you CAN'T do on the boat, will have to be done ashore - if the facilities are there and not controlled. If you use your toilet on the boat, it has to be disposed of PROPERLY. Electricity - both AC & DC - generate your own or use the dock?? Okay - that is LIVING ABOARD.

Now for sailing - all the STUFF you need for living aboard AND for working (clothing, books, whatever) need a place to be when you are in working mode. When you are out to sail, you'll need a place to stash all that stuff unless you don't mind that GLOB of STUFF somewhere in the lower parts of your boat. - Don't forget all the gear that you need to actually sail: Sails, lines, radio, and whatever else would be required for your area and by the water authority for that area. That the SAILING part.

Ahhhh.. and now you want to tear apart various parts of the boat to work on it. While keeping all the above in good enough condition.

Good luck - it ain't easy.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 14:53   #5

Wow this is really good information, thanks everyone for responding.

You raise alot of good points Elusive. I'm looking for this to be a fun learning experiance.

Now I've got a land based address that I will be storing all my "stuff". I should even be staying abit of time there. Would it be wise to split my time between these address's. Maybe just avoid the term "liveaboard" with the marina's?

Is 3 weeks a month considered a liveaboard? Or 2?

I like to think of my self as a friendly educated guy who likes things nice and clean, would a marina hassle me for just being "around" more often then the normal vacationer?
Old 18-06-2008, 16:30   #6
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
MOST marinas consider more than TWO consecutive days aboard, as living aboard. That is the TECHNICAL rule for most. Practically, they may limit to that or one more, but also allow a period of 2 weeks every 6 months where you can "live aboard". With that said, it would depend on the marina, and how clandestine you wanted to try and be.

It could depend on the number of boats in the marina, and/or per dock, the current number of liveaboards and how they feel about "sneakaboards". It could also depend on how they regulate access. Electronic Card access can be difficult to overcome.

ONE way to handle this, is to make sure you have a LAND address, the closer the better. And, work the night shift.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote