Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 16:39   #61

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Has Anyone Ever had 2 Boats as Liveaboards???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I have certainly heard that boats are VERY high maintenance, but I guess I figured that with 2 of them everything would get used half as much which would even out the maintenance on both
It has been my experience that boats that aren't used require more maintenance than those that are used often. It seems counter intuitive, but goes hand in hand with the philosophy of use it or lose it.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 16:41   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Well then, maybe you can "get through" living on a boat but I wonder what the appeal is of living on a boat in a marina.
I wouldn't think that I would have to explain on a live aboard forum why I want to live aboard. I love the water THAT much. I had a waterfront home at one time, but waterfronts are expensive and you can't pick up and sail off in them.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 16:45   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
It has been my experience that boats that aren't used require more maintenance than those that are used often. It seems counter intuitive, but goes hand in hand with the philosophy of use it or lose it.
hmmm....that's an interesting suggestion. I didn't quite mean not used at all, but rather a shared use between 2 items would be half the wear and tear on both. So rather than the use of 7 on 1 boat, it would be like the use of 3.5 people on 1.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 17:07   #64

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

GalaxyGirl, I do not think that most of us on this forum are trying to talk you out of your dream to do what you want to do. Most of us have enough experience to know that what you are wanting to do is going to be costly or at the very least, a huge undertaking. You sound like the type of person that can handle all most anything you set your mind too. I think that many peoples dream of living on a boat has turned into an unexpected nightmare. This is what we all do not want to happen to you and your children. Living on the water is not all fun and games, yes mantaince, cleaning, many chores, the list goes on but if you are ready for it, I say go for it, it can also be the most rewarding thing you may ever do. Do your homework, and if it looks doable and everyone is on board, why not go for it. Life is to short to not do something because of the doubting people of your life say you shouldn't. Just make sure, before you jump off the bridge, that the water is deep enough to survive.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 17:10   #65

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I really thing the consensus is that if you get two large boats (that is what you are talking about) you will be overwhelmed.

Having the children learn to share a cabin would be less strenuous. Children adapt well when led positively.
Old 07-09-2012, 17:27   #66

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I would have to agree with Therapy that one big boat would be my first choice. There are boats out there that could do it. Many 50 ft plus boats have 4 or more cabins, I think the 50 ft Beneteau's may have a 5 cabin layout with 3 or more heads. Also as time goes on I would assume that your kids will go to higher education so as this happens your boat would seem to get bigger. One boat means one expence. I had a power boat, cabin cruiser and my curent sail boat at the same time for a year. For myself, I found the mantance to much for me to handle. I however do not have 5 kids to find a bedroom for. I do all of my own mantance, and the parts alone to fix things are expencive, if you have to hire it done, it's a lot more.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 17:49   #67
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
No I don't know any of those things, but when I bought my first house 15 years ago I didn't know how to check the water level on my boilers or change locks or repair a busted water feeder on a fridge or repair a broken stove, how to repair a leaking shower valve or stop a toilette from running. I knew NOTHING about gutting a property, reframing it, insulation, firestop or any of those things. I didn't know a water line from a gas line from a pvc plumbing drain. There are still plenty of things I don't know, but many that I do NOW. There is a learning curve to anything worthwhile in life. I pay close attention to how things get done and I research what I don't know. I realize that houses and boats are not the same, but I also feel that if I can learn a house I should be able to learn a boat.

In sailing people talk about "time over water." I think there's also something I call "time over tools." The more you have of that the better off you'll be able to deal with the demands of a boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 17:53   #68
cruiser

Quote:
I wouldn't think that I would have to explain on a live aboard forum why I want to live aboard. I love the water THAT much. I had a waterfront home at one time, but waterfronts are expensive and you can't pick up and sail off in them.

I live in a marina also. The boat is instantly available to me, easily maintained. I have had wonderful experiences in the marina itself -- the phosphorescence in this marina was astounding, far stronger than it was on the bay or in the gulf. Then there was the time at 4AM the dolphins came hunting in a wolf pack. One of them would just bang his tail on the stern of a boat to get it out of their way so they could snatch a sheepshead.

The marina is full of manatee all the time. It's wonderful to wake up to a couple of manatee rolling off your stern.

I take my boat out a lot partly because I live on it. My record so far is 14 days in May.

You get some of the joy of living aboard. Not all the experiences you would have "on the hook." On the other hand, you don't have to get into a dinghy to get ice, do laundry, hit the grocery store.
Old 07-09-2012, 17:56   #69
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
GalaxyGirl, I do not think that most of us on this forum are trying to talk you out of your dream to do what you want to do. Most of us have enough experience to know that what you are wanting to do is going to be costly or at the very least, a huge undertaking. You sound like the type of person that can handle all most anything you set your mind too. I think that many peoples dream of living on a boat has turned into an unexpected nightmare. This is what we all do not want to happen to you and your children. Living on the water is not all fun and games, yes mantaince, cleaning, many chores, the list goes on but if you are ready for it, I say go for it, it can also be the most rewarding thing you may ever do. Do your homework, and if it looks doable and everyone is on board, why not go for it. Life is to short to not do something because of the doubting people of your life say you shouldn't. Just make sure, before you jump off the bridge, that the water is deep enough to survive.

There are other issues, to me particularly the one of anchoring one of the boats. There's a split in your family, right there. In addition, in a storm, the anchored boat will have entirely different issues than the one at the dock. How scared would your five year old be on the hook in a storm? Any of them, actually? How certain could you be that boat wouldn't drag?

I just don't think an intact family should be under too roofs. I have a friend who had to do that in two apartments for a while after their house burned down, and it was very hard on them.
Old 07-09-2012, 18:22   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 321 - 32'

I owned two liveaboard boats in the Caribbean once - for 9 months. i had a 35' Morgan and then bought a CT47. The Morgan was for sale but we still had to worry about it, maintain it, make sure it was safe, as well as trying to sell it and deal with the lookers. It was not easy since we still wanted to cruise with the bigger boat. I have never thought about owning two boats since.
sloopygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 19:43   #71

Boat: Tayana 37

I would really reconsider buying two boats. I think you're going to be in well over your head with it. And as others have mentioned, splitting your family is not something to be taken lightly. Part of the attraction of living aboard is growing closer to your family. Not farther away. If two of your kids have to share a cabin, thats really not a huge deal. And in the grand scheme of things, how often are they really going to be in their room anyway? They're going to be in school during the week. Probably do thier homework in the salon, be on deck when you're out sailing. If they want TV they'll be in the salon. Meals will be in the salon. Really, they'll only be in the cabin if they're sleeping. Plus, what happens if you buy both boats and your entire family HATES living on the water? Then you're stuck with two very large, very expensive boats. Luxury items (which is what the size boat you're talking about is) are not selling well at the moment. You could concievably be stuck paying a mortgage on a house and two boat loans. I would strongly suggest buying just one first, either a big cat or 50-60' trawler and see how everyone likes it AND if you're able to handle the maintainence on the boat. For instance, there are a number of marine mechanics that live at the same marina I do. One specialized in marine A/C units. Just to adjust a few hoses on the system to make sure the water flow is correct, he will charge $150-$200. For a 15min job. Now imagine him having to do that on both of yours. I can't say it enough, start with one and see how it goes. Who knows, your kids may LOVE all living together on one boat.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 20:37   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

There's a lot of reasons to do things in different ways. I live on two boats, though one is more a float home then a boat. I like sailing from the harbour where I keep my sail boat and found that when I lived aboard her the effort to ready her for sail was a pain. The float home doesn't need to be kept in sailing shape so the maintenance costs are less, still I'm living on the water, which I enjoy. When I want to cruise I head for the sailboat. It works for me though it isn't exactly what you are talking about. It isn't a "one size fits all" world.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 21:17   #73

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
There's a lot of reasons to do things in different ways. I live on two boats, though one is more a float home then a boat. I like sailing from the harbour where I keep my sail boat and found that when I lived aboard her the effort to ready her for sail was a pain. The float home doesn't need to be kept in sailing shape so the maintenance costs are less, still I'm living on the water, which I enjoy. When I want to cruise I head for the sailboat. It works for me though it isn't exactly what you are talking about. It isn't a "one size fits all" world.
You have to learn how to sail first and a 50 foot boat is much too big for training. You should get a boat in the 16 to 24 foot range so maybe two boats is a good idea. For training I prefer one with a keel because they are almost impossible to tip over. A center board boat does not have weight to keep it upright, except by moving the crew from one side of the boat to the other and it is possible to swamp it and have to get it right side up again. So two boats might be the thing here, one to live on and another much smaller boat for learning.
However, you might be much better off to join a yacht club that makes boats available for training. You will have to take lessons on sailing. After you learn about sail and tiller handling, you should take lessons from the American Sailing Association to learn about bigger boats, docking, crew overboard, reefing sails, dealing with a diesel, navigation, GPS, plotters and sextant if a lightning strike takes out all your electronic navigation aids, regulations about which boat has to hold its course (stand on vessel) and which gives way. You should start learning how to sail right now. About learning how to fix boats, you could do an internship at a boat yard, or maybe work for minimum wage with the understanding that they would teach you how to work on boats and sailboats. Check out serveral boat yards and find one that feels right.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:35   #74

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
You have to learn how to sail first and a 50 foot boat is much too big for training. You should get a boat in the 16 to 24 foot range so maybe two boats is a good idea.
Not so sure about that. I self-taught myself on my 35' Alberg. I took her out the first time under engine power alone to see how she handled, and then the next time I went out, up went the sails. Never took a sailing lesson in my life. I did, however, do a LOT of research before hand. I've found one site in partiular that helps a lot: sailing.about.com Helped me out tons.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:39   #75

I appreciate the gusto with which Galaxy is approaching her dream. It's a very big one and from a sailor of 27 yrs with one boat to fit out and cruise and care for I can't imagine the hurdle of having two, and a crew kids to care for and a mother. If you pull this off it has to be made into a movie or a book.

What seems daunting to me, and should be to Galaxy is not the dream of becoming a live aboard.. but the scale of her needs. People thought me crazy to start off sailing (first and only boat) with a 36' cruiser racer. It took me 6 years to get me and the boat ready and to transition from my land base life to one aboard. And I was alone without kids or a mom. I don't see how Galaxy can compress the time scale on the learning curve even if she's brilliant... which I suspect she is... capable and mechanical, as I suspect she is. Some things simply take time and knowing boats seems to be one no matter how passionate we are about it ... and I was very driven. Even have the almost 30 yrs and maybe 50,000 miles at sea under my keel I can't face the idea of starting this all again with a larger boat (don't actually need one)... but the thought experiment is what I am referring to.

I want to sail and I can sail and I don't want to face a long getting to know you experience with another and big boat. Size increases in boats is GEOMETRIC not linear... with respect to everything... cost, forces, you name it.

I'd suggest move aboard a docked boat of any type with no intention of cruising that boat. You'll still have to learn her and care for her. The charter or keep a play boat to learn to sail... smaller of course and probably don't get that one until you are settled into the *house boat*. Sail with others on their boats... get experience. as much as you can.

Don't listen to me... I only know about my deal. Good luck.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote