Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2007, 23:49   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Harbors of Southern California

My Ketch is presently in the San Francisco Bay area. I want to move it to Southern Ca. in July to avoid the Northern Ca. washing machine affect in December/ January for a trip to Mexico. Due to Business restraints, I would leave said vessel there from 07/07 to 12/07 and then take her to Mexico.
My question is what harbor do you suggest I use? I am not living aboard. I would like it to be relatively cheap yet relatively safe and close to some marine stores. Oh ya...one more thing. Close to an airport. The areas of interest are Marina Del Rey, Newport Beach and San Diego. Each area offers a variety of marinas in each area. Anyone have any suggestions?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 00:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Well, I can say with reasonable certainty, just about any marina in So Cal is safe. I can also say, not cheap. Most all have close access to a West Marine (close IS a relative thing - 1/2 hour drive is my standard).

MAJOR airports will have you limited to MdR & Kings Harbor for LAX, Newport Beach Harbor for John Wayne Int. (SNA), and almost any of the San Diego Harbor marinas for San Diego Lindbergh Field (SAN).

MdR, Newport, and the principle marinas in San Diego are the most expensive on the West Coast. For your size boat, it will cost you about 800/mth (cheapest) plus whatevers - IF .. IF you can find a slip, and IF they will let it for only 6 months. You can probably sub-let a slip in one of those places - if you find a sub-let, do it legally (ie go through the marina and do their paperwork and pay the fee).
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 10:56   #3
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Have to agree with Elusive. I was born and raised in San Diego and the marinas are very full. It is even worse for liveaboards, for some marinas there is a waiting list that requires someone to die before they let a slip go...

There is a reason the marinas are so full – San Diego is an incredible place to liveaboard and a beautiful city with a beautiful waterfront. Far superior than LA or Newport with a such a different attitude towards life as to be almost a different planet than LA. If you like SF you will not like LA. It is worth the effort to get in there

Here is a link to the Port Authority Web Site listing marinas, yacht clubs and anchorages.

http://www.portofsandiego.org/sandiego_realestate/marinas.asp

The main and better known marinas are in Shelter Island and Harbor Island. Good luck getting space here, not a chance but give a call you might get lucky. A better and cheaper bet would be to look “South Bay” at the marinas in Chula Vista.

There are also some Med moorings right on the city edge near the airport and the "Fish Market" - very interesting area for a live aboard but dont know about security for long term...

Another alternative would be a housing community that has Docks attached to many of the homes and a marina. It is called “Coronado Cays”. When I grew up in Coronado there were many people in this community that let people use their slips. Don’t know how you would go finding out if that still happens but the Coronado Cays Yacht club might have an answer.

If you are not averse to leaving her on a city supplied mooring you will have a better chance. There are several designated anchorages in the San Diego Bay, the nicest being off of Coronado near the Coronado bridge. Either the port authority of Glorietta Bay Marina will have info. The next which is basically more of a storage option is further south in the bay and relatively new option away from traffic. I cant speak about the security of these moorings but the ones off of Coronado have several liveaboards that I know of and Coronado is a VERY safe community that is a joy to be anchored off of.

The last option depends on your draft. There is an area just to the north of San Diego bay called Mission Bay. Very beautiful area with some moorings and slips. Another liveaboard paradise at least in winter when the jet skiers are all hibernating…

Hope that helps

good luck

-jc

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 00:22   #4

Ok..Thanx..I called around and basically was laughed at. Some slips rent for $28@ft, per month. So it is now plan "B". I will take my little ship to Moss Landing and wait until late December and tippy-Toe down the coast. I am very familiar with the coast from Monterey to Point Conception and have great respect for it. Thank you for the input...M
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 23-02-2007, 06:58   #5

Boat: Willard 40PH trawler, ALOHA
Would you consider leaving the boat in Oxnard or Ventura? I believe there are slips available at less cost than LA/SanDiego.

The other thing to consider is to take your boat from the Bay area directly to Mexico in late October/early November. You could join the Baja Ha Ha if you want lots of company and although I was skeptical in the beginning, I found it to be lots of fun. If you want to go it alone, this is the best time of year going south along the California/Baja coast. My advice is to round Conception in the early morning, about 0200.
alohaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 09:22   #6
Senior Cruiser

Moss is a pretty good place and least expensive. I spent about three years there. Channel Islands Harbor, and Ventura Harbor are good, less expensive than other SoCal harbors, and there are slips available - HOWEVER, his original requirement was that he be close to a major airport. But, as I said, close IS a relative thing.

From Moss Landing, the San Jose Intl. Airport is about an hour and a half away (non commute times). From Oxnard/Ventura, Burbank Intl. Airport is about an hour and fifteen minutes (non commute times) and LAX is about two hours (non commute times).

In regards to heading to Mexico in late October/early November ... if you carry insurance, be sure and check with them as to how far South you can go, and during what time frames. In some cases, the insurance company will make exceptions - mostly likely cost you extra (surprise!).

If you are single handing, the Baja Ha Ha probably won't allow you to join, and your insurance won't cover you at all. Most folk find the Baja Ha Ha a lot of fun - they have get-togethers to find crew/boats for those missing the opposite.

I agree with Aloha about when to round Conception although I would say there are many times during the year that transiting the Sur Coast would be a good trip.
Old 23-02-2007, 12:01   #7

Boat: Mason 43 cutter
this may work for you

California Yacht Marina would porbably suit your needs. It is in Wilmington at the back of L.A. Harbor. It's not the chic place to keep your boat, it's a reasonable drive to LAX, it's near several marine stores (West Marine in Long Beach and San Pedro + others), and Safe Navigation for charts, Ace Hardware out on PCH has a huge supply of stainless fasteners and caulking, auto paint supply houses are nearby for your paint needs, Avalon Rafts for your liferaft needs, and 3 haulout yards. It was 8.50 per ft when we left last year.

The down side is Wilmington proper should be avoided at night (bad area for crime), but the marina is fenced, guarded and not really near town. Diesel dust is a problen also, but a quick rinse every few days cures that.
Rod Headlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 12:23   #8
Senior Cruiser

Rod .. and all ... There are several places in Wilmington that may have boat space available, and are relatively inexpensive. You've already mentioned a few problems - the main problem is their willingness to lease for just 6 months.

I personally don't mind the almost hidden road to get to the marinas, or the LONG distance from slip to ocean. It IS a dirty area and it doesn't take long for a boat to look OLD and uncared for.

The main chandalries are either in San Pedro (not that far away) or over in Alimitos Bay (further). Access to the airport is no worse than from Ventura/Oxnard. I, however, WOULD be concerned about security.

I think that if it were MY boat, I would rather try and secure a place over in Long Beach or preferably, in Alimitos Bay.

Old 23-02-2007, 12:51   #9

Boat: S2 11.0C 36' Puka Wai
You might look into marinas in Mexico - there's one on Ensenada next to the Cruis ship terminal, and another that was being built at La Salina (Not sure if this one is done yet). These cater to the Norte-Americanos, so they are fairly nice, have 24 hr security and are somewhat cheaper than So. Cal.
Old 23-02-2007, 13:07   #10
Senior Cruiser

Good point Thermal ... in fact, I had looked at that as an option for me, when I was looking at working down in that area.

I also believe that Ensenada and La Salina are both North of the insurance company's Latitude for year around coverage (during hurricane season).

Still not too far, mas o menos, from SD airport.

Like all things with a boat... there are compromises!
Old 24-02-2007, 22:54   #11

Thanks again all...My insurance is for liability only and I probably cannot afford cruising Insurance and cruising at the same time. I am familiar with San Pedro area...Very scarry. My Thai wife would be a little terrified there. I will call Oxnard in a few days. I purchase my prior boat in Oxnard. I will give it a try. Otherwise, Moss Landing here I come. It's just a drag doing the cold in December/January down the coast to Southern Ca. But after that...Life is good!
Old 26-06-2007, 11:47   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just curious . . .

Celestialsailor, I would be interested to know how things worked out for you. Did you find something in Oxnard, or did you opt for Moss Landing? Did you look into the possibilities in Wilmington?

By now, you are probably preparing for the move, so I'm curious to know what you've decided to do.

Best,

TaoJones
Old 25-07-2008, 14:25   #13

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch - Santa Teresa
Hi Celestialsailor,

My wife and I live aboard at a mooring just off Coronado between the bridge and Tidelands park. We've lived (and sailed... just thought I'd add that) from here for the past three years and we love it. It is a very tight knit community and, with the exception of people using/abusing our dinghies on the beach, very safe and secure. It is also affordable!

You can sublease a mooring ball by calling the San Diego Mooring Company on Harbor Island (619-2910916).

Another option is the Coast Guard anchorage (since you're headed for Mexico, I'm sure you have great ground tackle?) It is reserved for non-San Diegians. It is near the airport.

Regarding the airport, San Diego is very easy to get around in. Taxis are "cheap" and you can even hail the water taxi to get to the mooring. You can walk from the ferry terminal to Coronado to the mooring beach.

Let me know if you have any questions. We're always looking for great neighbors. You can see some movies of the area on our website: TOP SECRET .

Cheers,
John & Jan
SV Santa Teresa
San Diego
John & Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 15:51   #14

Boat: Ranger 32 "Done Deal"
If by chance you are retired military;

The folks at Fiddlers Cove, NAB Coronado can probably help you. I am sliiped there myself. Its the only way I could get in. Oceanside has a 5+ year list, Camp Pendleton 2-3. I drive 50 miles to get to my damn boat (when I am in the US anyway!)

Check craigslist.com, I have seen quite a few sublets on there in the past.

Good luck!!
sugar and spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 16:37   #15
Kai Nui

Celestial, Monterey Airport is only 16 miles from Moss Landing, and can get you just about anywhere for a price, but I would make the trip to San Jose for the cost savings. Plenty of slips here, and the security is adaquate.
West Marine is a half hour to Santa Cruz, a half hour to Monterey, and there is a boat yard and chandlery here that is open Monday through Friday. That said, it is not the cleanest harbor, and expect to wash your boat allot due to the power plant.

Tags
california