Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2016, 10:57   #46

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Florida Anchor Ban Still Unsigned by governor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Quite right, I apologize for any insensitive post I may have made.

I don't live in Florida so this bill does not affect me..yet, will this kind of thing "catch on" else where?
Yes.

And no.

There are very few places in Florida that will be affected by this. The places that will be affected are already very popular/crowded in densely developed areas. So as places get more crowded and more densely developed it will catch on there.

There are lots of places to anchor in Florida that have clean, clear water, great fishing/diving good holding, little/moderate current and a great view. The thing is they are far from dinghy docks, shopping, work opportunities, showers, laundry, bars, big cities, and everything else cruisers claim they want to get away from. There will never be anchoring restrictions in those places because so few boats anchor there.

The same goes for the rest of the country. Places where there is a big demand for anchoring spaces to the extent that they get over crowded will get anchoring restrictions. Places where few folks go will not get restrictions.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 11:11   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Yes.

And no.

There are very few places in Florida that will be affected by this. The places that will be affected are already very popular/crowded in densely developed areas. So as places get more crowded and more densely developed it will catch on there.
spaces to the extent that they get over crowded will get anchoring restrictions..
Unfortunately your assumption that it only affects a few areas in Florida are not accurate. In the long run this sets a precedent for others that wish to restrict us be it local living on the hook or long distance cruisers. Laws like this tend to spread like a plague . Soon there will be similar legislation in other states on all coasts.
Old 18-03-2016, 11:29   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

I wonder why other places that don't allow anchoring don't get the uproar on forums that Florida does.
Old 19-03-2016, 02:40   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Unfortunately your assumption that it only affects a few areas in Florida are not accurate. In the long run this sets a precedent for others that wish to restrict us be it local living on the hook or long distance cruisers. Laws like this tend to spread like a plague . Soon there will be similar legislation in other states on all coasts.
Absolutely correct. And once those now affected by the law are forced to move guess what will happen at their next anchorages.

With laws like these being rammed through by the powerful wealthy few no wonder Bernie Sanders is doing as well as he is.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 08:43   #50
cruiser

Can't believe squatters, boat people without means are still whining about this, they brought it on themselves...essentially wrecked it for cheapo vagabond cruisers who stopped a little, cruised a little etc. I really have zero pity for people using a vessel as an on the water abode who don't have means or try to live somehow/somewhere they can't afford. Why is usually someone who never served yet all too fast to insinuate they have "rights" LOL...

Pretty much how it seemingly always goes though, few bad apples spoils the bunch and gives the whole a bad reputation. I simply tell this crowd "go to a mooring field or trailer park and quit whining about how life isn't free" these people seemingly confuse "free" with freedom" and anyone who ever served knows freedom isn't free...it's a responsibility not a right...
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 09:39   #51

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

If this spreads past the current limits, which I believe it will, it's going to create quite a problem for Florida. My former colleagues (I worked there a long long time ago when it was still DNR) in the FLDEP tell me the state is simply not permitting any new Marinas. Another friend who is in real estate says it doesn't matter as the value of waterfront property essentially makes it uneconomical to use as a marina anyway. Virtually all of the available slips are filled already and there simply isn't enough space to accommodate all of the transient/cruising boats during the winter season. Prices will skyrocket until even the well to do are driven out of cruising and only the extremely rich will be able to afford it. Unlike the RV park business where you can build one on just about any vacant land, marinas have to be built on land that has high value for other uses or is environmentally restricted. It does not bode well for the future of cruising.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 10:05   #52

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Florida Anchor Ban Still Unsigned by governor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
If this spreads past the current limits, which I believe it will, it's going to create quite a problem for Florida. My former colleagues (I worked there a long long time ago when it was still DNR) in the FLDEP tell me the state is simply not permitting any new Marinas. Another friend who is in real estate says it doesn't matter as the value of waterfront property essentially makes it uneconomical to use as a marina anyway. Virtually all of the available slips are filled already and there simply isn't enough space to accommodate all of the transient/cruising boats during the winter season. Prices will skyrocket until even the well to do are driven out of cruising and only the extremely rich will be able to afford it. Unlike the RV park business where you can build one on just about any vacant land, marinas have to be built on land that has high value for other uses or is environmentally restricted. It does not bode well for the future of cruising.
Yessir. I do wonder if this will encourage mooring fields where there is a continuing demand for accommodation. That wouldn't be the worst outcome. I think ultimately there will have to be a short time limit on anchoring for safety reasons rather than an outright ban.

On a springish note, yesterday saw a French Ca boat presumably heading north, Le Melville, anchor near me and out of the ICW proper but smack dab in the middle of the channel, about 200 yards away from the charted anchorage.

NIMBY Monsieur !
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 10:21   #53

To imply that this does not affect the rest of Florida is naive at best.
If you can't see the far reaching implication's of law's like this, (that by the way are not about derelict boat's), but about where any boat can anchor, then think in the short term affect's. Where will these boat's go? The next legal anchorage, of course. As the number of legal anchorage locations decrease they will become crowded, over crowded, polluted, over populated and the locals WILL get fed up with it and these laws will expand. PERIOD!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 18:20   #54

Boat: TBD

It is a slippery slope for sure. To think it is only about derelict boats is naive and incorrect. It is about those folks with deep pockets and waterfront properties who are reaching out to their representatives and using those relationships to stifle the use of public waterways. If it spreads throughout the state, other states will also likely follow suit.

Every voice makes a difference. Tweet, email, call. It is as important as any other public issue. Remember: Miami Beach now, the rest of the state later.

Just my humble opinion, but I figure if I don't try to help, even from afar, I don't have the right to complain if and when it goes through and kills my dream in 5 years of living aboard in my home state.
Old 20-03-2016, 19:35   #55

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I only come if invited or otherwise welcomed.

Otherwise, I've got other things to do.
Old 20-03-2016, 19:38   #56

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I only come if invited or otherwise welcomed.

Otherwise, I've got other things to do.
If the waters are hostile, I go elsewhere.
Old 20-03-2016, 21:59   #57

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Voltaire was famous for saying "if you would speak for me first define your terms". I suspect the difference between your analysis and mine is that we define things differently.

Florida has the longest coast line of any state except Alaska. Currently the anchoring restrictions are way less than 1% of the coast line. There are some other areas where anchoring is prohibited due to environmental concerns and places around the Cape, and some others, where the military has jurisdiction. But there are still huge areas where there are no restrictions where anchoring is allowed.

As I have posted in several threads on this topic the problem is too many folks want to anchor in a spot where there is free docking for their dinghy that is close enough they may need to row to and where there are stores, bars, and good transportation for folks who may not even have a bike to ride. To make matters worse a significant number of these folks may have limited means so they are looking for things like free water, free dumpsters for garbage, free showers and bathroom, and pumpouts, if they even get pumpouts. As demand for this type of area to anchor in exceeds supply problems occur.

It seems like my definition of anchorages is any place along the coast where a boat can be anchored while you have a much more limited definition of an anchorage. I still claim that vast majority of the Florida coast will never have restricted anchoring and that the restrictions will be limited to places I try to avoid. On the other hand your claim is that the places that are most crowded will be subject to anchoring restrictions. Both claims are true, it is just that we seem to have different definitions.

I have spent months anchoring out in the Keys West of Key West, in the Back Country, places in Southwest Florida, Kings Bay, and places around the Big Bend to Niceville. I can't see any restrictions in these areas. On the other hand I agree as development on the Southeast of Florida becomes more dense there will be more restrictions there. In other states that have dense water front development there will also be restrictions.

Bottom line is anyone who can read a chart knows most of the coast is undeveloped and that is where anchoring will be unrestricted. On the other hand coastal areas with dense development will have restrictions.

I would point out when I first moved to Miami in 1954 my Dad use to take me skeet shooting on the outskirts of town, places that now have ten story condos. No one is allowed to shoot skeet there now. A charter boat captain my Dad knew took me rabbit hunting near North Miami Beach, again the area is full of condos and even if I wanted to go rabbit hunting there are no rabbits there.

Bottom line is as the population gets more dense there are more restrictions on everything.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 22:08   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Tomfl in case you didn't notice I am from Washington state about as far away from Florida as you can get in conus. Washington is the number three when it comes to coastline we have an anchoring law here that seems to work quite well for everyone. Paraphrased here it nasicly says you can anchor in any legal area for up to thirty days at'a'time then you must move your vessel a minimum of 5 nm . With a maximum of total 90 days in a year in any one location.
Old 21-03-2016, 03:09   #59

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Florida Anchor Ban Still Unsigned by governor

Apples and oranges, Captain Newhaul.

It's too late for FL, but hopefully other places will be more respectful of genuine legal precedent regarding navigation and safe harbors. In the end the feds will strike this down but Fl may choose to ignore that in the future as well. Perhaps subtly, perhaps not.

Edit: Those considering heading to SW FL instead of the SE should remember the pythons. Lots of them. Tons/miles of large aggressive pythons. They swim better than you, they can live on saltwater for months; you might consider companionway grates and start leaving those little yappy dogs on deck at night as a sacrificial offering. Here's a recent example. This little lady is 16'10" long and weighs 140 #. Granted, that's only half the weight of the average tourist but still:

http://nbc4i.com/2016/01/21/giant-sn...hon-challenge/
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 08:01   #60

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Robert View Post
HB1051 was passed 8-days ago, but still sits on the governor's desk unsigned. Is he having 2nd thoughts? BoatUS has come out strongly against horrible, misguided legislation:

BoatUS Asks FL Governor Scott to Veto Special Anchoring Carve Out : BoatUS Press Room

Regardless of where you cruise, write to him and tell him why HB1051 is wrong!
Email the Governor

Unfortunately, this thread has moved way past your original post. While seeking petitions to ask the Governor not to sign the Bill is one approach, it does have it's negative side. In Florida, if the Governor allows a Bill to sit on his desk and he does not act on it, after a certain amount of time, the Bill automatically becomes law. The Governor must VETO the Bill in order for it not to go into affect. In my opinion, Scott may have this plan in mind. BTW, there is no record of a python attacking a human in Florida in the wilds. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, florida