Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 07:12   #1

Finding Home

Hello my liveaboard friends...

This post represents another tick off of my long laundry list of things to do before I become a full-time liveaboard (about 4 years)(I'm waiting for my last kid to leave the nest). I'll offer up a different angle on boat selection, given that I've been looking at all the blue-water boats for the last 5 years.
I want to say I have personal favorites, but that gets to my question:

A. A fixer-upper that's used, Westsail/ Tayana, Allejuela, relatively cheap, to conserve and maintain liquid assets. *cause these days, you can get into a boat, but you're never getting back out of one...

or

B. Screw it, I'm buying new: construction not as solid as the old guard, still have to shake it down, (Better?) and prepare to get soaked.

My price tag is $150,000, for (whatever), with a general passive income of $50,000. Meaning that once it's paid off, I'm living just fine... or I can continue to make payments on my diamond.

*personal note: the middle part of my life has been atrociously hard, and emotionally defeating, liveaboard is (if you play chess) my end-game... this is where I win. I'm wondering if a newer boat will feel more like a "win," or if they are just a fool's errand.

Follow up question: If my boat is paid off, do Marina's still require Insurance?

NICE TO MEET YOU ALL!! I hope to make great connections, because you folks will become my family.
Bill Williams
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:57   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Finding Home

when you allow others to choose your home, boat , or wife, you are open for failure. best of luck finding your dream boat.
the po of this formosa learned that too large a project is a basic reason for fail.
the funnest part of ownership is the search. in the search is included sea time on as many boats as you can find to sail. not the same bendy toy 30 times, or the same hans christian 20 times, but as many different designs as possible.
have fun searching. it only took from 1955 until 2004 to find my perfect cruiser. but i only was actively focused for 4 yrs.
you will know when you find your boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:29   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My take is buy an older, well preserved, well built boat, build quality is more important than age. For 150K you ought to be able to get one that is not very old too.
For goodness sake do not owe any money on a boat, not with a fixed income, 50K a yr ought to have you living pretty large, and even enough cushion to accept the once in a while big expense that kill so many dreams.
Marina doesn't care at all if you owe money on the boat or not, but it will have liability insurance to protect them, fortunately liability only isn't too bad, but with three years worth of income tied up in a boat, and it being my home, I would want full coverage, I'm risk averse I guess. With 50K a year, you ought to be able to afford insurance.

I'd spend no more than 100K max on a boat, cause your going to spend more than you think making it "yours".
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:05   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

To me, it is neither a do-up nor a new one. I would buy a s/h quality boat matched to how many people are going to live in it. For one person, boats up to 30ft can be fine. For two or three boats up to 40ft can be fine.

Most marinas I know require to see your insurance (third party) no matter whatish.

BTW If your only purpose is to liveaboard then a small floating home set up on a pontoon is a way more reasonable choice.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:18   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Welcome to CF!

This question comes up a lot, so I put together some DIY self-education resources on the topic. Call it a boat selection & purchasing "sticky" if you will. And it guides you through answering many questions about needs, wants, skills, & dreams. Along with some professional boat finding coaches, & their online advice.
Though be warned, it's a bit like The Matrix... when Neo decides to follow the white rabbit (down the rabbit hole).
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2206710

Also, consider this, even if you buy a brand new boat, you'll have LOTS of gear that will want for wrenching on (tuning), installing, etc. And new boats come with plenty of flaws too. Plus you don't get back the $ that you add to a boat, particularly in terms of gear. Which makes a well cared for, well fitted out boat, the best bet usually. Well, unless you're of very discerning taste, an expert, or both, & know what you want in a custom boat. Along with having a trust fund so that you can afford it.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 15:13   #6

Boat: Freedom 38

Don't buy new (IMO). Find a boat that had good reviews, meets your needs for space and layout, can be handled by one person (in a pinch, you never know...), and has been well maintained (you'll know this when you ask, "can I see the service log?"). Sail the hell out of it and just fix whatever breaks and doesn't work right for you. As Z says, boats are personal. If you've done the research, then you should kinda get a knot in your stomach and a sense of desire in your heart as soon as you step aboard "the one."
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote