Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 15:13   #1

Boat: Boston Whaler, 35ft Henrique Trawler
pirate Exuma Isl Liveaboard

Hi everyone

Well after another corporate downsizing and the BS that goes with it I've decided to take a sabbatical over the winter and spend as much time as possible on the 35ft Trawler - Hakuna Matata II.

Next month my wife and I are cruising from Beaufort, NC down the ICW to Florida. After that I will be watching for a window to cruise across to Nassau.

After provisioning again I plan to hang out around Norman's & Staniel Cay. For the most part I would like to stay out of marina's (Highbourne, Sampson's, Staniel etc) and experience some liveaboard life.

Wondering if anyone has some experience doing the same in the area's mentioned? Suggestions, sights, do's & don't's would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

CJ

CaptJenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 15:25   #2

Boat: Nothing large at the moment
Re: Exuma Isl Liveaboard

Strongly suggest you totally provision in the states, completely load the boat! Paper products, munchies, salty crunchys, and beer are VERY expensive in the Bahamas.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 15:34   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Great thread, we hope to leave next year so look forward to the replies. Also be sure to check out the destination section here at CF.
Hope to see you out there
Old 10-10-2013, 15:38   #4

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Norman's Pond has a tricky entrance but is a great place to hole up when fronts blow through. You can pass many a lazy day in there. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 16:34   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJenks View Post
.................. Next month my wife and I are cruising from Beaufort, NC down the ICW to Florida. After that I will be watching for a window to cruise across to Nassau.

After provisioning again I plan to hang out around Norman's & Staniel Cay. For the most part I would like to stay out of marina's (Highbourne, Sampson's, Staniel etc) and experience some liveaboard life. ................
This sounds good to me! We are along this same route and currenly in the Waccamaw. I would only caution that it's best to not look at a future destination for "experiencing some liveaboard life". Many cruisers seem to strive to get some place to do this, but in reality, you're already there in Beaufort and all the points between there and the Exumas. It's like what was said in the old movie. "Endless Summer" ...."you really mised it,- you should of been here last week!" The answer is You Are Here Now!
Old 10-10-2013, 17:36   #6

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
To enjoy a cruising Life, never set a schedule, only a destination...

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:58   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Can't think of a better place to live afloat. Stock up in the states, and when you run out of everything, you can hop down to George Town Exuma to reprovision (expensive compared to the states, but you can find most things there). Have a great time!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:59   #8

Boat: Boston Whaler, 35ft Henrique Trawler
pirate Re: Exuma Isl Liveaboard

[QUOTE=CaptForce;1361533]This sounds good to me! We are along this same route and currenly in the Waccamaw. I would only caution that it's best to not look at a future destination for "experiencing some liveaboard life". Many cruisers seem to strive to get some place to do this, but in reality, you're already there in Beaufort and all the points between there and the Exumas. It's like what was said in the old movie. "Endless Summer" ...."you really mised it,- you should of been here last week!" The answer is You Are Here Now!

Hi Aythya crew

Thanks very much for the response and new perspective.

I hadn't thought of this new venture in that light. Guess it shows that this is truly a new experience and one that changes the way you look at a trip.

I have really learnt something new and looking at this journey in a whole new light.. thanks for that.
CaptJenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:05   #9

Boat: 223 Starwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
To enjoy a cruising Life, never set a schedule, only a destination...

Another thing we learned the hard way: "Never agree to meet people at a place you're not already at."
austinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:01   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsailor View Post
Another thing we learned the hard way: "Never agree to meet people at a place you're not already at."
Good point! We've disappointed ourselves and others by making this mistake.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJenks View Post
Hi everyone

Well after another corporate downsizing and the BS that goes with it I've decided to take a sabbatical over the winter and spend as much time as possible on the 35ft Trawler - Hakuna Matata II.

Next month my wife and I are cruising from Beaufort, NC down the ICW to Florida. After that I will be watching for a window to cruise across to Nassau.

After provisioning again I plan to hang out around Norman's & Staniel Cay. For the most part I would like to stay out of marina's (Highbourne, Sampson's, Staniel etc) and experience some liveaboard life.

Wondering if anyone has some experience doing the same in the area's mentioned? Suggestions, sights, do's & don't's would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

CJ

Nassau is one of our favorite places to avoid but good for provisioning. Same for Freeport. Many great anchorages in the Exumas. Get the Explorer Chartbooks. I wouldn't go down there without them. Rely on their waypoints. Whatever you do DoNot rely on Navionics. See the Explorer website.

Highly recommend Highborne Cay, Normans, Shroud, Hawksbill, Samson, Pipe Creek, Staniel Cay, Rudder, Little Farmers, Georgetown (Great Exuma) , the Ragged Islands, Long Island (Salt Pond), Clarence Town, Cat Island.

Don't miss the Berrys not to mention Abaco and surrounding islands.

We liked to do the trip in one day hops. Lake Worth inlet to Freeport to Great Harbor to Hoffman's Cay to Nassau to either Allens or Highbourne to wherever.

We also liked the Abacos route, Lake Worth to Great Sale Cay to Green Turtle to Marsh Harbor to Spanish Wells to Rock Sound to Staniel or Black Point...definitely a great way to go.

Whatever way you end up going, it's one great cruising area. Can't be beat, lovely people, beautiful water, nice breezes. Fabulous way to spend the winter.
Capt RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 14:57   #12

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt RonB View Post
Nassau is one of our favorite places to avoid but good for provisioning. Same for Freeport. Many great anchorages in the Exumas. Get the Explorer Chartbooks. I wouldn't go down there without them. Rely on their waypoints. Whatever you do DoNot rely on Navionics. See the Explorer website.

Highly recommend Highborne Cay, Normans, Shroud, Hawksbill, Samson, Pipe Creek, Staniel Cay, Rudder, Little Farmers, Georgetown (Great Exuma) , the Ragged Islands, Long Island (Salt Pond), Clarence Town, Cat Island.

Don't miss the Berrys not to mention Abaco and surrounding islands.

We liked to do the trip in one day hops. Lake Worth inlet to Freeport to Great Harbor to Hoffman's Cay to Nassau to either Allens or Highbourne to wherever.

We also liked the Abacos route, Lake Worth to Great Sale Cay to Green Turtle to Marsh Harbor to Spanish Wells to Rock Sound to Staniel or Black Point...definitely a great way to go.

Whatever way you end up going, it's one great cruising area. Can't be beat, lovely people, beautiful water, nice breezes. Fabulous way to spend the winter.
That is how I want to go if it ever happens.

Thanks for the routes.

Tags
liveaboard