Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2016, 04:13   #16

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Energy hog! why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raintoomuch View Post
I'm new to the forum; been living on my boat for a year now, just now registered. I apologize in advance.

So, my (2) batteries charge fully everyday to about 13.80ish to flat 14 volts everyday. However, at night they drop to 12.20ish but will stay there even with fans running and lights on.

Mind you, I may only run a fan and charge my phone during the day. Even then my solar panels don't care and keep up the voltage, while the sun is out. Aside from lights, fans and my phone; I got nothing that sucks that much power. Why is this happening?

P.s my batteries are cheap refurbished 6v gulf cart flooded kind. Not even 3-4 months old.

Thanks!
define "refurbished" batteries... I work for a very large battery company and we don't refurbish batteries that small. Its just not worth it. given that the retail on a GC2 is only $85 anyway. but I suspect that your batteries are not taking a full charge. when your GC2 are fully charged, disconnect them from EVERYTHING over night and see what voltage they are in the morning. each 6v battery should read at least 6.37v or better to be considered fully charged. I'll bet yours are droping down for 6.1 overnight
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 05:56   #17

Re: Energy hog! why?

When are you reading the 13.9v?

If it's while the solar panels are putting out, you likely aren't reading the charge state of the battery but the charge voltage and as soon as the sun sets, the voltage reading drops back to the actual battery voltage.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote